Gwen's boyfriend

  • Kylie Hewitt
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
      This is an article about the actor that plays Gwen's boyfriend, Rhys.

      Panto to pandemonium for Torchwood star

      Jan 2 2008 by Gavin Allen, South Wales Echo

      HE may have started his career being wicked but Kai Owen's 2008 will
      be defined by a pair of good guys.

      Owen is currently playing Prince Charming in Snow White and just
      before pantomime season ends he will reappear on our TV screens in the
      second series of Torchwood.

      His role as Rhys Williams has been considerably bumped up for the new
      series and, as in real life, he has a wedding to look forward to – but
      more on that later.

      As we settle down in front of the mirrored desk of his dressing room
      backstage at Cardiff's New Theatre he appears slightly nervous, more
      likely due to the prospect of the impending evening performance than
      my visit.

      "This is my first panto run," he says as if by explanation, his eyes
      wandering momentarily to a prop sword on the desk. "So far I'm loving it.

      "I remember going to see an awful lot of panto when I was younger
      because my dad used to take us on his works outing.

      "I remember seeing Aladdin at Liverpool Empire with Cilla Black, Dick
      Whittington with Ken Dodd and I remember going to the old Davenport
      Theatre in Stockport to see lots of the old Neighbours actors.

      "But I try to see a panto every year anyway just because I love it."

      We are briefly interrupted as panto Wicked Queen Lesley Joseph pops
      her head around the door to say hello to Owen but, realising he has
      company, disappears quickly; there was no puff of smoke.

      "I've got my wicked side," he said, referring to his screen-break in
      the advertising campaign for alcopop WKD.

      "But Lesley Joseph is a wonderful Wicked Queen.

      "There's good banter going on and we are really winding each other up."

      When I asked if he ever fancied her character Dorien Green in Birds Of
      A Feather he let out a gut laugh. "No, no, no, no .. well ... maybe
      just a little bit."

      In playing the hero at The New Theatre's panto Owen is following in
      the footsteps of his Torchwood co-star John Barrowman, but Owen didn't
      manage to see his friend in Jack And The Beanstalk last Christmas.

      "We had just finished the first series of Torchwood so I went away
      with my fiancee but I was also a bit laid up because I broke my ribs,"
      he says with a sheepish grin.

      "How did I do it? I fell over at the wrap party for Torchwood. No WKD
      was involved."

      Spool on a year and Owen finds himself in a similar position having
      wrapped the second series of Torchwood in November.

      "It was seven months of filming for me this time because it's a lot
      bigger show this year and I'm more heavily featured," said the North
      Walian, who lives in London's East Finchley with fiancee Sarah; they
      plan to marry in 2009.

      "In the last series my character Rhys didn't know what (his screen
      fiancee) Gwen's job was but this year he finds out all about Torchwood
      and he becomes, not quite one of the gang, but he does get a lot more
      involved.

      "I'm in a car chase which is good, there's some fisticuffs, I even get
      shot and then there's the big wedding scene ..."

      One of the series' major moments is the wedding between Rhys and Gwen,
      played by Eve Myles, which is gatecrashed by alien invaders.

      "It's a spectacular episode but just because there's a wedding it
      doesn't mean they get married," he teases.

      "It turns into a proper Valleys wedding, scrapping in the car park
      with aliens."

      The wow factor of series two has been upped as Torchwood makes the
      move from BBC3 to BBC2 and continues on BBC America.

      "It's been a huge hit over in America," said Owen.

      "I think they are enjoying the Britishness of it, even the Welshness
      of it, because Cardiff looks fantastic and there is just nothing like
      it being made in this country."

      In a bid to capitalise on a growing audience the show, billed as `Dr
      Who for adults', is going to become more family friendly, going as far
      as to have a "pre-watershed" cut of each episode on earlier in the
      evening.

      "They have cut down on the swearing and the sex but it's still adult,
      still violent, and the scripts are better, too.

      "I hope it draws the crowds it deserves because it is bigger, better,
      classier and slicker."

      Series two of Torchwood is on BBC2 in mid-January.

      Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs runs at The New Theatre, Cardiff until
      Saturday, January 26. Tickets cost £7.50-£20 from 029 2087 8889.
    • janicesheinbaum
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Kylie Hewitt" <vive_le_roi1789@...>
        wrote:

        > This is an article about the actor that plays Gwen's boyfriend, Rhys.

        The whole cast of this show just seems so friendly. We don't get
        actors like that in the States; their put on too high of a pedistal.
        The cast of Torchwood, though, they seem like people I'd love to hang
        out with on a Sat. afternoon.
      • Will Vigar
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
          On 03/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...> wrote:

          > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com <torchwood%40yahoogroups.com>, "Kylie
          > Hewitt" <vive_le_roi1789@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > This is an article about the actor that plays Gwen's boyfriend, Rhys.
          > >

          > The whole cast of this show just seems so friendly. We don't get
          > actors like that in the States; their put on too high of a pedistal.
          > The cast of Torchwood, though, they seem like people I'd love to hang
          > out with on a Sat. afternoon.

          ***Well now....here's a tale. Many, many moons ago I worked for the BBC and
          > was doing an article on Saturday morning TV for the programme I worked for.
          > Barrowman was co-presenting a Saturday Morning TV show at the time and -
          > curse my failing memory - I can't remember what it was called (Live and
          > Kicking?) Anyway, I got to hang out with him for Saturday afternoon. I
          > have to be honest and say that, charming though he was, he was incredibly
          > self-centred, egotistical and everything you wanted to discuss descended
          > into 'Me, me ,me - aren't I fantastic, see how wonderful I am, look at me,
          > look at me, look at me" and it got tiresome. Quickly.

          I would hope this was the excitement of youth (I mean this was 20 years

          --
          > "A Knife and Fork in a World of Soup"

        • janicesheinbaum
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Will Vigar" <immanion@...> wrote:

            > On 03/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com <torchwood%
            40yahoogroups.com>, "Kylie
            > > Hewitt" <vive_le_roi1789@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > This is an article about the actor that plays Gwen's boyfriend,
            Rhys.

            > > The whole cast of this show just seems so friendly. We don't get
            > > actors like that in the States; their put on too high of a
            pedistal.
            > > The cast of Torchwood, though, they seem like people I'd love to
            hang
            > > out with on a Sat. afternoon.
            > >

            > ***Well now....here's a tale. Many, many moons ago I worked for
            the BBC and
            > > was doing an article on Saturday morning TV for the programme I
            worked for.
            > > Barrowman was co-presenting a Saturday Morning TV show at the
            time and -
            > > curse my failing memory - I can't remember what it was called
            (Live and
            > > Kicking?) Anyway, I got to hang out with him for Saturday
            afternoon. I
            > > have to be honest and say that, charming though he was, he was
            incredibly
            > > self-centred, egotistical and everything you wanted to discuss
            descended
            > > into 'Me, me ,me - aren't I fantastic, see how wonderful I am,
            look at me,
            > > look at me, look at me" and it got tiresome. Quickly.
            > >

            > I would hope this was the excitement of youth (I mean this was 20
            years
            > > ago!) and that he's calmed down a bit since then. Thing is, I do
            think he's
            > > very talented and absolutely respect him as an artiste. I've
            seen him many
            > > times on stage and wonder why he star didn't ascend faster...but
            honestly he
            > > was a bit of a jerk back then....

            Well, lots of us were jerks back in our 20's. Does anyone know him
            more recently? Don't want to let go of my image just yet ;)
          • Will Vigar
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008

              ****haha :-D Well, I know it looks like I'm trying to perform some sort

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Will Vigar" <immanion@...> wrote:

                > On 03/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com <torchwood%
                40yahoogroups.com>, "Will
                > > Vigar" <immanion@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Well, lots of us were jerks back in our 20's. Does anyone know him
                > > more recently? Don't want to let go of my image just yet ;)
                > >

                > ****haha :-D Well, I know it looks like I'm trying to perform
                some sort
                > > of character assassination, but I'm not, really. I was talking
                to a friend
                > > of mine who works in make-up at the BBC and I told her about this
                email.
                > > She says 'He hasn't changed that much", but points out that he's
                vastly
                > > different with people he knows well. It could well be that he
                gives what he
                > > thinks people expect?? Although he severely misjudged what
                I 'expected'
                > > back then :-)

                Ooohh, I'm crushed <joking>, not surprised. Well, I guess it's the
                nature of an actor/tres to be a bit self-centered...confidence is
                everything and self promoting has to be the way to get ahead and all
                that garbage...oh, well, since there's next to no chance I'll ever
                meet any of them, I can still image <hee> Thanks for the reality,
                but I'm going back to my warped fantasy...hey, can you friend give
                him my e-mail? lol
              • Nan Ellman
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                  You were there to do an article, admit he was charming, but complain that he
                  spent the whole time promoting himself. What did you expect? It seems the
                  worst interpretation would be that he was inexperienced with PR.

                  I'm not sure what you mean about his star not ascending very fast. He was
                  tremendously successful on stage.

                  I'm sorry you found him unpleasant, but I don't see anything in this story
                  to affect my opinion of him.

                  Nan Ellman

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                    On 04/01/2008, Nan Ellman <nancy.ellman@...> wrote:

                    > You were there to do an article, admit he was charming, but complain
                    > that he
                    > spent the whole time promoting himself. What did you expect?

                    ***The article wasn't about him, per se. It was about children's saturday
                    morning tv of which he still a minor part. I was there to find his
                    perspective on the culture of saturday morning tv. It wasn't supposed to be
                    an ego piece. The others I interviewed were far more interested in putting
                    forward the history and were aware of their place within that history. He
                    treated it as a promotion opportunity.

                    > It seems the
                    > worst interpretation would be that he was inexperienced with PR.

                    ***quite possibly, yes.

                    I'm not sure what you mean about his star not ascending very fast. He was
                    > tremendously successful on stage.

                    ***Yes but outside of theatre, yer average Joe on the street wouldn't have a
                    > clue who he was until he appeared on Doctor Who. Some folks of my age or
                    > around that age might remember him for being sacked from Live and Kicking
                    > (or was it Saturday Superstore??) for appearing in a nude photo-shoot for a
                    > gay magazine, that was - stupidly - a big deal in the press at the time, but
                    > otherwise he was pretty much unknown here outside of London theatre circles.
                    > The only time I recall seeing him on TV between his saturday morning
                    > programme and Who was in an article about a Lloyd Webber musical which he
                    > was starring in (possibly sunset boulevard)

                    I'm sorry you found him unpleasant, but I don't see anything in this story
                    > to affect my opinion of him.

                    ***Nor was that the intention. I'd be somewhat horrified if you instantly

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                      --OK, let's not get our britches in a bunch! I didn't mean to start
                      any rows. I value all of your insights, but let's live and let live
                      and drop this now before things get nasty.
                    • Will Vigar
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                        On 04/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...> wrote:

                        > --OK, let's not get our britches in a bunch!

                        ***Oh they aren't in a bunch :-) I was merely clarifying a few things.

                        ****Well....there's a difference between discourse and rowing. I was