BBC Press Release: Torchwood premieres on BBC Two in New Year

  • pfyre@pfyre.co.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
      Torchwood premieres on BBC Two in New Year

      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/12_december/03/torchwood.shtml>
      []

      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/images/bank/programmes_tv/drama/torchwood/300torchwood_bbctwo.jpg>
      Category:
      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/category/tv_drama_index.shtml>TV
      Drama;
      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/category/bbctwo_index.shtml>BBC
      Two;
      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/category/wales_index.shtml>Wales

      Date:
      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/12_december/03/index.shtml>03.12.2007

      please NOTE - there ARE spoilers in this release...

      if you do NOT want to be spoilt - then ignore, skip and/or delete this post....

      Torchwood, the award-winning drama created by Doctor Who writer
      Russell T Davies, bursts back on our screens in mid-January 2008,
      this time premiering on BBC Two.

      And this time it's bigger and bolder with more fun, adventure and
      excitement for the alien-fighting team...

      Captain Jack Harness (John Barrowman), Gwen (Eve Myles), Owen (Burn
      Gorman), Toshiko (Naoko Mori) and Ianto (Gareth Lloyd-Davies) return
      as the investigators delving into the alien underworld of modern day Cardiff.

      opportunity of watching a specially edited pre-watershed repeat.

      Roly Keating, Controller BBC Two, says: "We're delighted that
      Torchwood is joining BBC Two.

      "We know from the success and popularity of Heroes that there's a
      growing appetite for smart, high-quality, sci-fi drama on the channel
      so Torchwood is a perfect fit.

      "I'm also pleased to announce that, due to popular demand from
      families and younger viewers, we will be showing a special
      pre-watershed repeat so everyone can enjoy the new series."

      Making a special guest appearance in the first episode is James
      Marsters as Captain John. He starred as Spike, the punk-goth vampire
      in Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel.

      Captain John and Captain Jack go way back and have "history".

      When he appears through the Rift under Cardiff looking for Captain
      Jack not only does he disrupt Captain Jack's homecoming but the whole
      team, city and world are suddenly placed in danger.

      The new series promises an exhilarating mixture of adventure,
      heartbreak, humour and surprise and pushes the team's resolve and
      friendships as never before.

      Firmly rooted in urban life of 21st century Cardiff, Torchwood's
      investigations into alien activity give the team glimpses of the 51st
      Century and the First World War.

      They encounter alien sleeper cells; save a stranded creature from
      human exploitation; meet a tragic soldier from the First World War;
      and encounter a memory thief who exposes long-forgotten secrets among
      the entire team.

      During the run Alan Dale (Ugly Betty, The O.C, Lost and The West
      Wing) makes a star appearance.

      Another familiar face among the special guest stars is Doctor Who's
      companion Martha Jones (Freema Agyeman) who appears half way through
      the series.

      Richard Briers, Nerys Hughes and Ruth Jones (Gavin And Stacey) also
      appear in various roles.

      Russell T Davies says: "This series pushes the Torchwood team further
      than ever before. They are joined by some incredible guest stars who
      are really going to cause waves. It's adventurous, thrilling and
      packed full of surprises."

      Torchwood, which was shot in HD and will also be shown on the BBC HD
      channel, is filmed in and around Cardiff by BBC Wales.

      BBC Wales Controller Menna Richards says: "The first series of
      Torchwood was a huge hit with audiences. We're extremely proud that
      it's produced in Wales.

      "And its success is a reflection of the huge wealth of talent and
      creativity that exists here.

      "We're delighted that it's returning to our screens for another
      series full of action, humour and excitement."

      The 13-part series is written by Chris Chibnall, Phil Ford, Peter J
      Hammond, Matt Jones, Joseph Lidster, James Moran, Helen Raynor,
      Catherine Tregenna and JC Wilsher.

      Created by Davies, with Chris Chibnall as co-producer and lead
      writer, the first series which aired on BBC Three last year achieved
      the channel's highest ratings in 2006, with an audience of 2.5
      million for the first episode, and peaking at 2.8 million.

      There will be a new exciting online reality game and exclusive behind
      the scenes footage on bbc.co.uk/torchwood.

      Torchwood is executive produced by Russell T Davies and Julie
      Gardner, Head of Drama, BBC Wales. The producer is Richard Stokes.

      BR/LS2
      Category:
      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/category/tv_drama_index.shtml>TV
      Drama;
      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/category/bbctwo_index.shtml>BBC
      Two;
      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/category/wales_index.shtml>Wales

      Date:
      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/12_december/03/index.shtml>03.12.2007

    • Celia
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
        They're making it more available for younger viewers? I wouldn't think
        a lot of it is suitable for younger viewers. But what is "pre-
        watershed"? I'm not familiar with that term.

        Minnca

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
          At 12:49 PM 12/3/2007, Celia, annotated:
          >They're making it more available for younger viewers? I wouldn't think
          >a lot of it is suitable for younger viewers. But what is "pre-
          >watershed"? I'm not familiar with that term.
          >
          >Minnca

          they are making an EDITED version available for younger viewers -
          "pre-watershed" means before 9PM - generally considered anything for
          family viewing - "post-watershed" is after 9PM is considered for adult viewing

          >--- In
          ><mailto:torchwood%40yahoogroups.com>torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre@... wrote:
          > >

          > > Torchwood premieres on BBC Two in New Year
          > >

          ><<http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/12_december>http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/12_december
          >/03/torchwood.shtml>

        • Celia
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
            Oh, thanks. That makes it much clearer.

            I'm new here, by the way, and looking forward to discussing the show
            with everyone.

            Minnca