Re: Group Changes (Effective Immediately)

  • Michael F.
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2006
      I second Patrick's response. Responding to the spam merely
      exacerbates the situation. Whilst it's not perfect, at least there
      are some controls available to counter the spam problem.

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Power
      <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:

      > Good job Benjamin. I would go one step further and just ask that
      members not reply at all to spam messages. The replies calling them
      spam are as bad as the spam themselves for clogging up emails.

      > Benjamin Elliott <bfelliott@...> wrote: The recent spam
      attack has exposed some serious problems with the
      > group's moderation system. As the moderator, I want to end these
      > problems now so that we can go on having an enjoyable group.
      >
      > In order to make it more difficult for this group to be disrupted
      in
      > the future:
      >
      > 1) New members don't get to join till a moderator approves them.
      > 2) New members are on hand-moderation till a moderator is satisfied
      > that they are legitimate posters instead of people wanting to spam.
      > No one new comes off hand-moderation without posting at least once.
      > 3) NO ATTACHMENTS in group messages! Period. We have sections for
      > Files and Photos. E-mail me privately if you want something in
      Files
      > or Photos, and once it's in that section you can post a message
      > noting that the item is online.
      > 4) As previously noted, anyone who spams will be removed and banned
      > as soon as I become aware of it, without appeal.
      > 5) Any messages from this point onwards that reply to a spam must
      > remove the original spam message, or they will be edited/deleted as
      > necessary. We can also reduce advertising these spams if you e-mail
      > the moderator (me) instead of posting a bunch of messages on the
      > group keeping the memory of the spam alive.
      >
      > I will be paying attention and will adjust as necessary.
      >
      > Benjamin Elliott
      >

      > Patrick Power
      > Proud Founder of The Bug-Eyed Monster Society!!!
      > The B.E.M. Society Yahoo Group Main Page:
      >
      > Are you into Sci Fi, Fantasy & Horror? Are You Looking for Your
      Soulmate? Try The Sci Fi Soulmates Yahoo Group!