Re: [torchwood] Out of Time

  • Lynn
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 15, 2007
      From: beatlefanfcb <beatlefanfcb@...>

      > But I found that the loose ends of the story were really annoying. No

      > explanation at all of how the Torchwood team happened to be at the

      > airport when the plane arrived.

      I believe there's an air traffic report on the Torchwood website. Apparently the anomaly was reported to Torchwood by ATC.

      > And then there were the two girls in

      > the house where the people from the plane were staying. They just

      > appeared and disappeared from the story without any attempt to explain

      > who they were or what they were doing there.

      The
      house where they were staying wasn't a private home, it was a hostel or guest house of some kind. It's fairly apparent from the hotel-like sign on the back of John's door, and the bulletin board with notices. The girls were just other guests there, and who they were or why they were in Cardiff was not especially important.

      I didn't find either of these to be "loose ends," myself.

      -lynn
    • msunshne
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 15, 2007
        Another of the deleted scenes has Ianto
        explaining to Jack he's located them a hotel. I
        believe he was coming out of the little hole in
        the floor in Jack's office (while he was saying
        it) getting the old guy one of Jack's shirts.

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 15, 2007
          At 03:39 PM 11/15/2007, msunshne, annotated:
          >Another of the deleted scenes has Ianto explaining to Jack he's
          >located them a hotel. I believe he was coming out of the little hole
          >in the floor in Jack's office (while he was saying it) getting the
          >old guy one of Jack's shirts.

          actually he's coming out of Jack's quarters (located directly below
          Jack's office) and I didn't get the impression he was getting the guy
          one of Jack's shirts but rather taking care of Jack's laundry *shrug*
          maybe my impression was wrong about that bit

          pfyre

        • msunshne
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 15, 2007
            And I never thought Ianto was doing Jack's
            laundry,LOL!! I always saw it as Jack giving
            John one of his shirts. Hmmmmmm.....

            Melissa

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 15, 2007
              At 04:06 PM 11/15/2007, msunshne, annotated:
              >And I never thought Ianto was doing Jack's laundry,LOL!! I always
              >saw it as Jack giving John one of his shirts. Hmmmmmm.....
              >
              >Melissa

              but John was a business man and clearly on a business trip - he must
              have had his own shirts with him for a few days worth at least

              considering John's strong feelings about charity, etc. I kind of
              doubt he would have accepted one of Jack's shirts unless there was no
              alternative

              *shrug*

              'sides we know Jack and Ianto have something going on - after the
              exchange at the end of episode 8 - and Gareth confirmed this as well
              -- so it didn't seem much of a stretch for him to be doing things for
              Jack who lives at the Hub anyway

              pfyre

            • Michelle Gauvreau
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 16, 2007
                Re: Out of Time Posted by: "Lynn" lynnloschin@... socallynn Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:27 pm (PST) From: beatlefanfcb <beatlefanfcb@ verizon.net>

                > But I found that the loose ends of the story were really annoying. No

                > explanation at all of how the Torchwood team happened to be at the

                > airport when the plane arrived.

                I believe there's an air traffic report on the Torchwood website. Apparently the anomaly was reported to Torchwood by ATC.

                > And then there were the two girls in

                > the house where the people from the plane were staying. They just

                > appeared and disappeared from the story without any attempt to explain

                > who they were or what they were doing there.

                The
                house where they were staying wasn't a private home, it was a hostel or guest house of some kind. It's fairly apparent from the hotel-like sign on the back of John's door, and the bulletin board with notices. The girls were just other guests there, and who they were or why they were in Cardiff was not especially important.

                I didn't find either of these to be "loose ends," myself.

                -lynn

                US Torchwood fans may not realize how B&Bs operate in the UK. The first time I travelled to Wales it amazed me the business runs like a personal residence where you get your own bedroom and everything else is shared. The first scene in the kitchen where tea was being prepared may have mislead Frank from MD to believe it was somebody's house. When you check into a B&B in the UK you have access to a fully functional kitchen and lounge area. If you want something you don't call room service, you go down and make it yourself! I hope that helps clarify the confusion.

                I thought it was quite cool that Jack played Dr. Kavorkian in the last scene. You could see he understood somebody's wish to leave a place where no trace of anything you lived for remains. A+ episode.

                Michelle in Memphis

                "This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou cans't not be false to any man " W. Shakespeare

              • Elizabeth Holden
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 16, 2007
                  Re: Out of Time Posted by: "Lynn" lynnloschin@... socallynn Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:27
                  pm (PST) From: beatlefanfcb <beatlefanfcb@ verizon.net>

                  > > But I found that the loose ends of the story were really annoying. No
                  > > explanation at all of how the Torchwood team happened to be at the
                  > > airport when the plane arrived.

                  I have no problem with this sort of detail. We know Torchwood has all sorts of sensors around;
                  depending exactly where the plane came through the rift, they could have had a fair amount of time
                  to put themselves in place. Obviously Ianto keeps that SUV ready to move at a moments notice!

                  Michelle:
                  > I believe there's an air traffic report on the Torchwood website. Apparently the anomaly was
                  > reported to Torchwood by ATC.

                  Well, that works!

                  I find that if a story has too many of the explanations, it bogs down. On the whole, I'd rather
                  be watching how the 1953 people and the Torchwood team react to each other.

                  Lynn:
                  > > And then there were the two girls in
                  > > the house where the people from the plane were staying. They just
                  > > appeared and disappeared from the story without any attempt to explain
                  > > who they were or what they were doing there.

                  It was explained: it wasn't a house, it was a hostel, and the girls had been in foster care. In
                  other words, it *was* their home - if only on a temporary basis.

                  The place the girls had in the story was to befriend Emma, and to contrast their knowledge of the
                  present with Emma's lack of the same. I love the bit about the tea bags, when Emma and Diane see
                  what they are.

                  Lynn:
                  > I didn't find either of these to be "loose ends," myself.

                  No. I'd have liked more scenes with Ianto - I think the trip to the supermarket is one of the
                  highlights of the show. But for various reasons, this story is one of my favourites.

                  namaste,
                  Elizabeth
                • Lynn
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 16, 2007
                    Um.... just to clarify....

                    From: Elizabeth Holden <azurite@...>

                    >Re: Out of Time Posted by: "Lynn" lynnloschin@... socallynn
                    Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:27
                    >pm (PST) From: beatlefanfcb <beatlefanfcb@ verizon.net>
                    > > But I found that the loose ends of the story were really annoying.
                    No
                    > > explanation at all of how the Torchwood team happened to be at the
                    > > airport when the plane arrived.

                    That wasn't me, that was the message I was quoting.

                    > Michelle:
                    > I believe there's an air traffic report on the Torchwood website.
                    Apparently the anomaly was
                    > reported to Torchwood by ATC.

                    That was me, not Michelle.

                    > Lynn:
                    > > And then there were the two girls in
                    > > the house where the people from the plane were staying. They just
                    > > appeared and disappeared from the story without any attempt to
                    explain
                    > > who they were or what they were doing there.

                    That wasn't me, but the message I was quoting,

                    Sorry, but I just wanted to make that clear.

                    Lynn
                  • ankhsamonn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 16, 2007
                      Thought the end of Random shoes talked something about the rift acting
                      up and that they should be watchful.

                      Will need to watch again to see.

                      Watched some of the cut scenes on youtube, that did tie a couple small
                      points together. :)

                      Maria
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 16, 2007
                        At 02:32 PM 11/16/2007, ankhsamonn, annotated:

                        >Thought the end of Random shoes talked something about the rift acting
                        >up and that they should be watchful.
                        >
                        >Will need to watch again to see.
                        >
                        >Watched some of the cut scenes on youtube, that did tie a couple small
                        >points together. :)
                        >
                        >Maria

                        I just scanned thru a transcript of the episode and did not find any
                        mention of the rift acting up in 'Random Shoes' - there's no specific
                        mention of the rift anywhere in the dialogue of that ep that I could locate

                        pfyre

                      • ankhsamonn
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 16, 2007
                          Just figured out where I saw it in association with this.

                          Captain's Blog for the episode on BBCA.

                          (((Rift activity: Within acceptable levels and tolerances.
                          Fluctuations seem to indicate a possible small opening in a week or
                          so; these are usually uneventful, but must be monitored in case
                          anything comes out.)))

                          Maria :)