Re: [torchwood] A question about the Canadian broadcast of Torchwood last Friday...

  • Don & Rick
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi Greg; it was on Friday at the usual time, we have satelite tuned to
      CBCHD and there it was.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
        Thanks for the info. I don't know what happened here. Mind you, I
        don't have satellite, just regular cable. It still doesn't make any
        sense. I honestly can't see what other channel I could have taped.
        I'll just chalk it up as one of those bizarre occurrences that happen
        from time to time.

        Looks like I'll have to wait to get the first season DVD when it
        comes out to see it...

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Don & Rick" <donandrick@...> wrote:

        > Hi Greg; it was on Friday at the usual time, we have satelite
        tuned to
        > CBCHD and there it was.
        >
        > Rick

        Torchwood
        > last Friday...
        >

        > > Greetings, all. I just joined the Torchwood group, and just want
        > say hi, and to ask a question.
        >
        > So, first off, hi.
        >
        > Second off, is there anyone else from Canada on here, or someone who
        > could check to see what happened to Torchwood last Friday? I thought
        > I had my timer set properly to tape it, but when I sat down to watch
        > it, all I had was an hour's worth of a hockey game (originating from
        > Fox Sports south, no less) between Nashville and Edmonton. Did
        anyone
        > else experience this?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Greg
        >

        > ----- End Original Message -----

      • Elizabeth Holden
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2007
          --- Greg_McC <greg_mcc@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the info. I don't know what happened here. Mind you, I
          > don't have satellite, just regular cable.

          I have digital cable, and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't checked to see if I recorded it - I
          just assumed I had not, since all my friends told me it wasn't on. I think it was pre-empted for a
          hockey game - ? Even though the channel listed it a still being scheduled.

          I'm hoping for better luck this week.

          I don't think we've actually missed it, I think we'll be getting the episode they would otherwise
          have shown. Which, if I remember correctly, is "Small Worlds".

          namaste,
          Elizabeth
        • ankhsamonn
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2007
            Do they repeat on your station? BBCA re-airs several times during the
            week. Maybe you can catch it that way :)

            Also, you maybe able to find it one youtube or the internet. Not sure
            where you are in Canada, think last episode here was Random Shoes.

            Until the dvd's come out, I have copies of the shows (yes naughty, but
            I do plan on purchasing them! taking up space on the hard drive. My
            even get both the UK and US releases, if Santa is very nice to me. :) )

            maria

            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Greg_McC" <greg_mcc@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the info. I don't know what happened here. Mind you, I
            > don't have satellite, just regular cable. It still doesn't make any
            > sense. I honestly can't see what other channel I could have taped.
            > I'll just chalk it up as one of those bizarre occurrences that happen
            > from time to time.
            >
            > Looks like I'll have to wait to get the first season DVD when it
            > comes out to see it...
            >
            > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Don & Rick" <donandrick@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Greg; it was on Friday at the usual time, we have satelite
            > tuned to
            > > CBCHD and there it was.
            > >
            > > Rick

          • Ann Marie
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2007
              If you have digital cable, check out the higher channels....I have some *on demand* channels and BBCA is one of them. They don't have any of the Doctor episodes but they do include the last five of the Torchwood episodes that had aired to date. Hope this helps some here.

              hugs,
              Ann Marie

              Elizabeth Holden <azurite@...> wrote:

              --- Greg_McC <greg_mcc@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the info. I don't know what happened here. Mind you, I
              > don't have satellite, just regular cable.

              I have digital cable, and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't checked to see if I recorded it - I
              just assumed I had not, since all my friends told me it wasn't on. I think it was pre-empted for a
              hockey game - ? Even though the channel listed it a still being scheduled.

              I'm hoping for better luck this week.

              I don't think we've actually missed it, I think we'll be getting the episode they would otherwise
              have shown. Which, if I remember correctly, is "Small Worlds".

              namaste,
              Elizabeth

              Check out my website: http://aprilsmiles.bravehost.com

              ~~~

              Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the
              impossible! Thank God for our physical AND our spiritual nourishment!
            • Greg_McC
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2007
                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Holden <azurite@...>
                wrote:

                > --- Greg_McC <greg_mcc@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Thanks for the info. I don't know what happened here. Mind you,
                > > don't have satellite, just regular cable.
                >
                > I have digital cable, and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't checked
                to see if I recorded it - I
                > just assumed I had not, since all my friends told me it wasn't on.
                I think it was pre-empted for a
                > hockey game - ? Even though the channel listed it a still being
                scheduled.

                Aha, that's what happened to me. It was pre-empted for a hockey
                game.

                Judging from the responses I've been getting from people, it seems
                only those people who watch on cable had it pre-empted. Satellite
                watchers got it as normal.

                I find that strange...

                Greg

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 7, 2007
                  At 01:18 AM 11/7/2007, Greg_McC mentioned:
                  >Aha, that's what happened to me. It was pre-empted for a hockey game.
                  >
                  >Judging from the responses I've been getting from people, it seems
                  >only those people who watch on cable had it pre-empted. Satellite
                  >watchers got it as normal.
                  >
                  >I find that strange...
                  >
                  >Greg

                  strange? not so much

                  cable providers and satellite providers are not necessarily "locked"
                  into broadcasts in the same way - heck even different cable providers
                  can broadcast the exact same program at the exact same time but do it
                  differently - my friend who lives a few states over from me in a
                  different time zone has a different cable company than the one I have
                  - we've watched the same shows together while talking on the phone
                  only to discover that not only the commercials different but at
                  different lengths - at times my view is back to the show and she's
                  still getting another 15 to 60 seconds more of commercials - the
                  difference 'made up' during the remainder of the broadcast as she
                  catches up to what I'm watching - it can be disconcerting but
                  definitely indicates that there's no reason to be surprised that
                  those on cable had differing programming from those on satellite for
                  the same timeslot and channel

                  pfyre
                • Greg_McC
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 7, 2007
                    --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

                    > At 01:18 AM 11/7/2007, Greg_McC mentioned:
                    > >Aha, that's what happened to me. It was pre-empted for a hockey
                    game.

                    > >Judging from the responses I've been getting from people, it seems
                    > >only those people who watch on cable had it pre-empted. Satellite
                    > >watchers got it as normal.
                    > >
                    > >I find that strange...
                    > >
                    > >Greg
                    >
                    > strange? not so much
                    >
                    > cable providers and satellite providers are not
                    necessarily "locked"
                    > into broadcasts in the same way - heck even different cable
                    providers
                    > can broadcast the exact same program at the exact same time but do
                    it
                    > differently

                    I'm well aware that this happens very often. Indeed, we have an
                    added bonus up here for simulcast shows. If both a US and a Canadian
                    channel are showing a program at the same time, then the Canadian
                    broadcast will kick in. As a result, the program could essentially
                    restart itself. As for this whole Torchwood thing, I call it strange
                    for two reasons:

                    1) There was no indication that there was going to be any change.
                    From what I've heard, both satellite and cable were supposed to show
                    Torchwood, but only people watching cable channels lost out. (Mind
                    you, the sample is a bit small to make any definite conclusions, but
                    the results have quickly fallen into a pattern.)

                    2) The stations we're talking about are all CBC channels, all of
                    which usually have identical schedules (as they are a government
                    sponsored broadcaster, schedule uniformity is usually key). Which
                    makes it even weirder that I, living in Ontario, not only didn't get
                    to see Torchwood, but instead taped a non-CBC broadcast of an
                    Edmonton Oilers game (which is two time zones away).

                    That certainly qualifies as strange in my book. :-)

                    Talk to you later,

                    Greg