A question about the Canadian broadcast of Torchwood last Friday...

  • Greg_McC
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2007
      Greetings, all. I just joined the Torchwood group, and just want to
      say hi, and to ask a question.

      So, first off, hi.

      Second off, is there anyone else from Canada on here, or someone who
      could check to see what happened to Torchwood last Friday? I thought
      I had my timer set properly to tape it, but when I sat down to watch
      it, all I had was an hour's worth of a hockey game (originating from
      Fox Sports south, no less) between Nashville and Edmonton. Did anyone
      else experience this?

      Thanks in advance.

      Greg
    • Don & Rick
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
        Hi Greg; it was on Friday at the usual time, we have satelite tuned to
        CBCHD and there it was.

        Rick

        > Greetings, all. I just joined the Torchwood group, and just want to
        say hi, and to ask a question.

        So, first off, hi.

        Second off, is there anyone else from Canada on here, or someone who
        could check to see what happened to Torchwood last Friday? I thought
        I had my timer set properly to tape it, but when I sat down to watch
        it, all I had was an hour's worth of a hockey game (originating from
        Fox Sports south, no less) between Nashville and Edmonton. Did anyone
        else experience this?

        Thanks in advance.

        Greg

        ----- End Original Message -----

      • Greg_McC
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
          Thanks for the info. I don't know what happened here. Mind you, I
          don't have satellite, just regular cable. It still doesn't make any
          sense. I honestly can't see what other channel I could have taped.
          I'll just chalk it up as one of those bizarre occurrences that happen
          from time to time.

          Looks like I'll have to wait to get the first season DVD when it
          comes out to see it...

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Don & Rick" <donandrick@...> wrote:

          > Hi Greg; it was on Friday at the usual time, we have satelite
          tuned to
          > CBCHD and there it was.
          >
          > Rick

          Torchwood
          > last Friday...
          >

          > > Greetings, all. I just joined the Torchwood group, and just want
          > say hi, and to ask a question.
          >
          > So, first off, hi.
          >
          > Second off, is there anyone else from Canada on here, or someone who
          > could check to see what happened to Torchwood last Friday? I thought
          > I had my timer set properly to tape it, but when I sat down to watch
          > it, all I had was an hour's worth of a hockey game (originating from
          > Fox Sports south, no less) between Nashville and Edmonton. Did
          anyone
          > else experience this?
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Greg
          >

          > ----- End Original Message -----

        • Elizabeth Holden
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2007
            --- Greg_McC <greg_mcc@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the info. I don't know what happened here. Mind you, I
            > don't have satellite, just regular cable.

            I have digital cable, and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't checked to see if I recorded it - I
            just assumed I had not, since all my friends told me it wasn't on. I think it was pre-empted for a
            hockey game - ? Even though the channel listed it a still being scheduled.

            I'm hoping for better luck this week.

            I don't think we've actually missed it, I think we'll be getting the episode they would otherwise
            have shown. Which, if I remember correctly, is "Small Worlds".

            namaste,
            Elizabeth
          • ankhsamonn
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2007
              Do they repeat on your station? BBCA re-airs several times during the
              week. Maybe you can catch it that way :)

              Also, you maybe able to find it one youtube or the internet. Not sure
              where you are in Canada, think last episode here was Random Shoes.

              Until the dvd's come out, I have copies of the shows (yes naughty, but
              I do plan on purchasing them! taking up space on the hard drive. My
              even get both the UK and US releases, if Santa is very nice to me. :) )

              maria

              --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Greg_McC" <greg_mcc@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the info. I don't know what happened here. Mind you, I
              > don't have satellite, just regular cable. It still doesn't make any
              > sense. I honestly can't see what other channel I could have taped.
              > I'll just chalk it up as one of those bizarre occurrences that happen
              > from time to time.
              >
              > Looks like I'll have to wait to get the first season DVD when it
              > comes out to see it...
              >
              > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Don & Rick" <donandrick@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Greg; it was on Friday at the usual time, we have satelite
              > tuned to
              > > CBCHD and there it was.
              > >
              > > Rick

            • Ann Marie
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2007
                If you have digital cable, check out the higher channels....I have some *on demand* channels and BBCA is one of them. They don't have any of the Doctor episodes but they do include the last five of the Torchwood episodes that had aired to date. Hope this helps some here.

                hugs,
                Ann Marie

                Elizabeth Holden <azurite@...> wrote:

                --- Greg_McC <greg_mcc@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the info. I don't know what happened here. Mind you, I
                > don't have satellite, just regular cable.

                I have digital cable, and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't checked to see if I recorded it - I
                just assumed I had not, since all my friends told me it wasn't on. I think it was pre-empted for a
                hockey game - ? Even though the channel listed it a still being scheduled.

                I'm hoping for better luck this week.

                I don't think we've actually missed it, I think we'll be getting the episode they would otherwise
                have shown. Which, if I remember correctly, is "Small Worlds".

                namaste,
                Elizabeth

                Check out my website: http://aprilsmiles.bravehost.com

                ~~~

                Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the
                impossible! Thank God for our physical AND our spiritual nourishment!
              • Greg_McC
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2007
                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Holden <azurite@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- Greg_McC <greg_mcc@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks for the info. I don't know what happened here. Mind you,
                  > > don't have satellite, just regular cable.
                  >
                  > I have digital cable, and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't checked
                  to see if I recorded it - I
                  > just assumed I had not, since all my friends told me it wasn't on.
                  I think it was pre-empted for a
                  > hockey game - ? Even though the channel listed it a still being
                  scheduled.

                  Aha, that's what happened to me. It was pre-empted for a hockey
                  game.

                  Judging from the responses I've been getting from people, it seems
                  only those people who watch on cable had it pre-empted. Satellite
                  watchers got it as normal.

                  I find that strange...

                  Greg

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 7, 2007
                    At 01:18 AM 11/7/2007, Greg_McC mentioned:
                    >Aha, that's what happened to me. It was pre-empted for a hockey game.
                    >
                    >Judging from the responses I've been getting from people, it seems
                    >only those people who watch on cable had it pre-empted. Satellite
                    >watchers got it as normal.
                    >
                    >I find that strange...
                    >
                    >Greg

                    strange? not so much

                    cable providers and satellite providers are not necessarily "locked"
                    into broadcasts in the same way - heck even different cable providers
                    can broadcast the exact same program at the exact same time but do it
                    differently - my friend who lives a few states over from me in a
                    different time zone has a different cable company than the one I have
                    - we've watched the same shows together while talking on the phone
                    only to discover that not only the commercials different but at
                    different lengths - at times my view is back to the show and she's
                    still getting another 15 to 60 seconds more of commercials - the
                    difference 'made up' during the remainder of the broadcast as she
                    catches up to what I'm watching - it can be disconcerting but
                    definitely indicates that there's no reason to be surprised that
                    those on cable had differing programming from those on satellite for
                    the same timeslot and channel

                    pfyre
                  • Greg_McC
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 7, 2007
                      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

                      > At 01:18 AM 11/7/2007, Greg_McC mentioned:
                      > >Aha, that's what happened to me. It was pre-empted for a hockey
                      game.

                      > >Judging from the responses I've been getting from people, it seems
                      > >only those people who watch on cable had it pre-empted. Satellite
                      > >watchers got it as normal.
                      > >
                      > >I find that strange...
                      > >
                      > >Greg
                      >
                      > strange? not so much
                      >
                      > cable providers and satellite providers are not
                      necessarily "locked"
                      > into broadcasts in the same way - heck even different cable
                      providers
                      > can broadcast the exact same program at the exact same time but do
                      it
                      > differently

                      I'm well aware that this happens very often. Indeed, we have an
                      added bonus up here for simulcast shows. If both a US and a Canadian
                      channel are showing a program at the same time, then the Canadian
                      broadcast will kick in. As a result, the program could essentially
                      restart itself. As for this whole Torchwood thing, I call it strange
                      for two reasons:

                      1) There was no indication that there was going to be any change.
                      From what I've heard, both satellite and cable were supposed to show
                      Torchwood, but only people watching cable channels lost out. (Mind
                      you, the sample is a bit small to make any definite conclusions, but
                      the results have quickly fallen into a pattern.)

                      2) The stations we're talking about are all CBC channels, all of
                      which usually have identical schedules (as they are a government
                      sponsored broadcaster, schedule uniformity is usually key). Which
                      makes it even weirder that I, living in Ontario, not only didn't get
                      to see Torchwood, but instead taped a non-CBC broadcast of an
                      Edmonton Oilers game (which is two time zones away).

                      That certainly qualifies as strange in my book. :-)

                      Talk to you later,

                      Greg