Something to think about

  • John Epperson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 28 8:38 PM
      Now Torchwood was founded to fight alien presence, the founding was
      made by Queen Victoria. This we all agree on.
      The Dr.Who episode "Tooth & Claw" explained the reason for Torchwood.
      But was the reason for Dr.Who's banning from the English empire the
      result of what had happened in "Tooth & Claw" or did Queen Victoria
      feel there were greater dangers to the Empire ?
      So if Torchwood was set up to "stop" the Doctor then why did UNIT help
      him on so many episodes? Or did the writers not do the research ?
      Also when Jack explains his "uniqueness" to Gewn why does he said "He
      is seeking a certain Doctor to explain it to him" ( This may not be
      word for word ).
      John
    • Daren
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28 11:59 PM
        To answer your questions TORCHWOOD has basically been a secret and even though UNIT was formed in 1968 it did not know about TORCHWOOD and the reason the Doctor helped UNIT was because he helped and befriended Colonel Lethbridge Stewart before he joined/formed UNIT with that business with the Yeti in the Underground so later when Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart who was running UNIT heard of a report of an abandoned Police Box in the woods he knew exactly who's box it was and when he did finally find the Doctor still suffering from his new regeneration he immediately enrolled the help of the Doctor and since his TARDIS was broken ie the Time Lords disabled it the Brigadier offered the Doctor a full time job

        Daren

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29 7:05 AM
          In OUR 1968, when UNIT helped the Doctor, he hadn't yet gone back in time to create Torchwood. Remember, the wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey ball of stuff. So, he went back and Torchwood was created and rewrote history. So, that's why we know about it now. See? It makes...sense, I think.

          Now Torchwood was founded to fight alien presence, the founding was
          made by Queen Victoria. This we all agree on.
          The Dr.Who episode "Tooth & Claw" explained the reason for Torchwood.
          But was the reason for Dr.Who's banning from the English empire the
          result of what had happened in "Tooth & Claw" or did Queen Victoria
          feel there were greater dangers to the Empire ?
          So if Torchwood was set up to "stop" the Doctor then why did UNIT help
          him on so many episodes? Or did the writers not do the research ?
          Also when Jack explains his "uniqueness" to Gewn why does he said "He
          is seeking a certain Doctor to explain it to him" ( This may not be
          word for word ).
          John

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Taylor401306@cs.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30 8:49 AM
            In a message dated 10/30/2007 3:44:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            torchwood@yahoogroups.com writes:
            > Re: Something to think about
            > Posted by: "Amazon X" yankeestarbuck@... yankeestarbuck
            > Date: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:05 am ((PDT))
            >
            > In OUR 1968, when UNIT helped the Doctor, he hadn't yet gone back in time to
            > create Torchwood. Remember, the wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey ball of stuff.
            > So, he went back and Torchwood was created and rewrote history. So, that's
            > why we know about it now. See? It makes...sense, I think.

            That's known as "Retro-continuity".

          • Robert DiClemente
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
              1.This is because Torchwood is a device of the "new" series of Doctor Who. This is why UNIT worked alone in the "classic" series and there was no mention of Torchwood. How can a writer do research on something that isn't a part of the equation at that time.

              2.My take on the whole issue of Queen Victoria banning the Doctor from Earth plays into this whole new plotline that RTD has put in place that the Doctor is a rogue element, leaving death and destruction behind after he encounters a situation. A plotline that I can't stand, and one that never existed in the original series, or if it did, it wasn't emphasized as being the Doctor's fault.

              3. In Utopia, this question is answered somewhat during the dialoge between Jack and the Doctor, while Jack is in the radiation room. I won't go any further for those who haven't watched the episode. I'm hoping that in Torchwood, we'll find the answer.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
                That's all good, but since the Doctor's adventure (Tooth and Claw) happened in the past, and I am assuming that it was in this Universe, or at least the tv series universe, that all events in the past, regardless if it happened in the Doctor's future still falls along the same timeline, so therefore Torchwood happened before UNIT, and UNIT should have some information about Torchwood's existence.