Sapphire & Steel Comes to Torchwood

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
      For those old enough to remember the old science
      fiction/fantasy/horro series Sapphire and Steel, the main creative
      mind behind that show has another Torchwood episode that will be part
      of next season. While he is stealing from his own material, it is
      doubtful the stars of that show will be around to reprise their roles.

      One of the scariest stories consisted of four episodes. A
      photography buff had developed an old photograph from the dawn of
      photography. A faceless demon was caught and frozen into one of
      these old photographs. This demon was released into our world and
      was able to use children from old photographs as his personal army.
      He could also trap humans or others in photographs and then destroy
      the photos, killing the people in the photos.

      There apparently will be a story next season where characters from an
      old movie, possibly from the 1920's, come out of that movie to cause
      harm, bringing them to the attention of Torchwood. Whether there is
      a faceless demon in that old movie, I do not know, but it would be
      interesting to see Captain Jack and friends trapped inside the plot
      of an old movie, possibly from the silent era.

      This device was also used in an episode of "She Wolf of London" where
      the main characters became trapped in an old horror movie in a
      theatre scheduled for demolition. Just as Jack and Toshi were
      trapped in 1940's Cardiff by super-villain Billis Manger, I hope them
      getting trapped doesn't become a running theme on the show.

      Thanks,

      Dean
      Dana Point, CA
    • Roslyn Lamb
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2007
        I remember Sapphire and Steel, and yes, that was a very scary story about the photos. (at the time - I was quite young! Joanna Lumley was one of the stars, and she's certainly still around and doing fine. She does the 'You have email' voice for aol in the UK as well as starring in a lot of comedy series. Very good actress. She used to be Purdy in The Avengers.

        Ros

      • Thomas N. Beck
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2007
          She was also (and is probably much better known as) Patsy in Absolutely Fabulous.

          Tom Beck

          "Well, this train carries saints and sinners/This train carries losers and winners/This train carries whores and gamblers/This train carries lost souls/This train carries broken-hearted/This train -- thieves and sweet souls departed/This train carries fools, carries kings/This train - all aboard!/I said, this train -- dreams will not be thwarted/This train -- faith will be rewarded/This train -- hear the steel wheels singing/This train -- bells of freedom ringing!" -- Bruce Springsteen, "Land of Hope and Dreams"