OT - Doctor Who Influencing American Television

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29 8:32 AM
      I noticed that not on e single person in this group mentioned
      something important related to Doctor Who that happened on American
      television last night. While you are scratching your head and
      thinking what is this guy Dean talking about, Doctor Who now
      officially has gone and done it. American producers of television
      shows are looking for talent anywhere they can find it. Producers
      looked at Doctor Who and like very much what they saw.

      In watching most any episode of any series, occasionally a guest
      actor or actress rises above the material and transcends what you
      watching to apoint it can affect you on an emotional level.

      The season before last on Doctor Who was an exceptional story
      called "The Girl in the Fireplace". It was probably one of the most
      romantic episodes ever of the show. Not surprisingly, the guest
      actress, Sophia Myles, went on to date star David Tennant. She is
      apparently still doing so.

      The Fireplace episode has great emotional impact. You watch it at
      the right moment and you could be bawling your eyes out. That is a
      mark of exceptional television. If you have seen the episode and
      watch it again, the opening moments of Sophia Myles' character
      imploring the Doctor to come out of the fireplace is gut-wrenching.

      Imagine if you will that many American television producers like
      British television. They see an episode of Doctor Who that blows
      them away with its emotional impact.

      When CBS greenlighted the new series, Moonlight, there were things
      wrong with it. Many cast members lost thie rjobs while new actors
      were brought in. The producer, David Greenwalt, even bailed on it.
      A new actor brought in to play the love interest of the main
      character was Sophia Myles, all the way from England. The promos for
      the show Moonlight are really playing up the romantic aspect of the
      show because that is something Sophia Myles has shown she can deliver
      on, hands down. Last night was the premiere of Moonlight on CBS.

      If Moonlight succeeds after the cast changes and the producer
      leaving, it is going to be because of what Sophia Myles will bring to
      the show. If it does have staying power, it is well within the realm
      of possibilities what Sophia Myles will want her boyfriend to do a
      guest star part on the show, giving Tennant far more exposure than
      playing the villain in a Harry Potter film.

      Yes, I know Tom Baker was in an episode of "Remington Steele" ages
      ago. It was Ms. Myles' work on Doctor Who that brought her to this
      country. It says a great deal baout the talent Doctor Who and other
      shows are getting for their shows.

      Dean
      California
    • msunshne
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29 8:46 AM
        Did you actually watch the show last night? I
        did. It was mediocre at best, slow and boring at
        worst. Sophia did much better in DW than she did
        in Moonlight.

      • Louis Sather
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 29 9:04 AM
          << Not surprisingly, the guest actress, Sophia Myles,
          went on to date star David Tennant. She is apparently
          still doing so. >>

          David and Sophia were dating long before that story
          was shot. In fact I seem to remember one of the
          reasons she was cast (a part from being a brilliant
          actress) was so they could spend time together while
          he was filming. At the time his was in Cardiff with
          the show and she was busy working in London and he
          would commute back and forth when he had days off.

          that gives answers, not web links.
        • CJ
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 29 10:01 AM
            Hi,

            New poster here. I came to Dr Who late, starting with Chris E's doctor, although my son has been a fan since he was eight years old, so I have seen some of the others. And of course I came to Torchwood through watching the show.

            I watched Moonlight too and loved it. While I think the actress you mentioned is very good, I think the Aussie who plays Mick and his vamp friend Joseph (another Brit I believe) were also very good.

            Since watching BBCA I have found lots of British actors (some sporting spot on American accents) on UK shows that I see on American tv. For instance Jamie Bamber on BSG I saw recently in Ultimate Force and the guy who plays Suresh on Heroes was on there as well.

            At the moment I am finding Torchwood to be a bit slow. I am used to the slower pace in some of the Brit shows and don't mind it, but I am hoping Torchwood picks it up a bit. I do like the crossovers with Capt. Jack on DW. Can someone tell me why the Doctor is being frosty with Jack? Is it because he is immortal?

            Glad to have found you all.

            CJ

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • majkia
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 29 10:06 AM
              I liked Moonlight, too! It has a couple of interesting elements and I hope
              will improve as the actors grow their characters.

              Majkia

              --
              ~~~~~~~~~
              Bloggy Bayou: http://www.majkia.livejournal.com

              Vampires, Werewolves and Mages Oh My! http://www.quillings.wikispaces.com
              ~~~~~~~~~

              MAL: We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are
              so very pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die. Huh? Look at
              that chiseled jaw.- Firefly

            • Lynn
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 29 8:47 PM
                From: Louis Sather <lesather@...>

                > David and Sophia were dating long before that story
                > was shot.

                That's not the story the two of them tell on the Girl in the Fireplace commentary. They'd worked together once before, and DT was not all that pleased about having her cast in Doctor Who, as he didn't have a terribly positive impression of her from that experience (as a person, not an actress).

                -lynn
              • CJ
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 30 6:16 AM
                  LOL. I've watched BBCA so much I am starting to understand them without CC. <g>

                  Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote: The new Bionic Woman Michelle Ryan is also British. I read an article
                  about the Brits leaving the UK for the US in search of good parts.
                  The actors are hungry for good parts.

                  After reading this article I was hoping that the actors would use
                  their own accents... just to add something different. However after
                  watching a lot of BBC I realized why the actors have to use American
                  accents. We just don't understand the Brits when they speak
                  naturally. :-D Whenever I watch BBC I turn on Closed Caption. Believe
                  me, this really helps!

                • Taylor401306@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 30 8:32 AM
                    In a message dated 09/30/2007 3:48:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    torchwood@yahoogroups.com writes:
                    > Can someone tell me why the Doctor is being frosty with Jack? Is it because
                    > he is immortal?

                    That was mentioned in the Doctor's discussion with Jack. The Doctor abandoned
                    Jack once he became immortal. As a Time Lord, he sees him as an unchanging
                    element & an abomination. It's a Time Lord prejudice.

                  • CJ
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 30 9:14 AM
                      Well, it's good to know a Time Lord isn't perfect. <g> Thanks for the answer.

                      CJ

                      Taylor401306@... wrote:
                      In a message dated 09/30/2007 3:48:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      torchwood@yahoogroups.com writes:
                      > Can someone tell me why the Doctor is being frosty with Jack? Is it because
                      > he is immortal?

                      That was mentioned in the Doctor's discussion with Jack. The Doctor abandoned
                      Jack once he became immortal. As a Time Lord, he sees him as an unchanging
                      element & an abomination. It's a Time Lord prejudice.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Roslyn Lamb
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 1, 2007
                        LOL It's so good you folks are starting to understand us Brits - I've read a lot of nice comments about Charlie's accent in Lost. We really aren't so very quaint, you know - running water, electricity, all that sort of stuff :0)

                        Ros