Torchwood vs Primeval?

  • Stuart Grant
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 2007
      As series 2 of both these dramas are scheduled for broadcast �early in the
      new year�, are we expecting ITV and BBC to go head to head with them?

      Just thought I�d ask the question.

      Stuart

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      13:53

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      13:53

    • Orchid
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2007
        I would think not... Different audience! Primeval is family viewing,
        Torchwood most definitely isn't :-) I'd like to see the reaction to "Day
        One" being shown on primetime Saturday night TV LOL

        Ironorchid

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 25, 2007
          I've been watching Primeval and it's interesting. I like it. I'm just curious what Torchwood has for fans next year.

          As series 2 of both these dramas are scheduled for broadcast �early in the
          new year�, are we expecting ITV and BBC to go head to head with them?

          Just thought I�d ask the question.

          Stuart

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          13:53

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          13:53

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Roslyn Lamb
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 26, 2007
            Can't say I was overly impressed by Primeval. It seemed to take a lot of its ideas from Dr Who and not do them particularly well - the quote of something ripping a hole in the fabric of time and space is something I seem to have heard on the Dr shows for sure

            Dr and Torchwood get my vote over Primeval.

            Ros

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
              Primeval is certainly better than Torchwood.

              Primeval actually has a good plot line.

              > From: Roslyn Lamb <roslynlamb@...>
              > Date: 2007/09/26 Wed AM 09:23:32 EDT
              > To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [torchwood] Re: Torchwood vs Primeval?
              >
              > Can't say I was overly impressed by Primeval. It seemed to take a lot of its ideas from Dr Who and not do them particularly well - the quote of something ripping a hole in the fabric of time and space is something I seem to have heard on the Dr shows for sure
              >
              > Dr and Torchwood get my vote over Primeval.
              >
              > Ros

            • David
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
                I agree that some of the plot lines in Torchwood were distinctly
                dodgy, Cyberwoman and Random Shoes to name but two.

                In my opinion Primeval looked rushed, and I disagree about the plots,
                overall they were pretty poor, chucking in a twist does not make a bad
                script good, they needed more work put into them. I got the feeling
                that they needed a few science fiction writers on board - if they had
                them then I apologise. Mind you they had Moffat writing Jekyll and
                that was utter crap, so I've just defeated my own arguement... bugger.

                In addition the casting was weak, especially where the younger members
                of the cast were concerned - it would not have bothered me if those
                characters had been gobbled up by something big and toothsome. I
                found some of the acting so abysmal it both distracted and detracted
                from what could have been an excellent series. The accusations that
                it was derivitive were unfair as far as I was concerned, but it did
                need stronger writers and less focus on then glitz.

                Still, it isn't a competition,it isn't one or the other, they are
                aimed at different demographics so I think direct comparisons are not
                really relevant, they're fun though.

                Both series have second series coming up, so here's hoping that they
                can iron most of the bugs out. I do think that Primeval needs a much
                longer run to get into it's stride, they tried to cram too much into
                too few episodes.

                Nevertheless I look forward to the return of both shows.

                David

                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, <collicutt@...> wrote:

                > Primeval is certainly better than Torchwood.
                >
                > Primeval actually has a good plot line.
                >

                > > From: Roslyn Lamb <roslynlamb@...>
                > > Date: 2007/09/26 Wed AM 09:23:32 EDT
                > > To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com
                > > Subject: [torchwood] Re: Torchwood vs Primeval?
                > >
                > > Can't say I was overly impressed by Primeval. It seemed to take a
                lot of its ideas from Dr Who and not do them particularly well - the
                quote of something ripping a hole in the fabric of time and space is
                something I seem to have heard on the Dr shows for sure

                > > Dr and Torchwood get my vote over Primeval.
                > >
                > > Ros

              • Elizabeth Holden
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
                  --- David <dashotton@...> wrote:

                  > I agree that some of the plot lines in Torchwood were distinctly
                  > dodgy, Cyberwoman and Random Shoes to name but two.

                  It just shows that different episodes suit different folks, because "Cyberwoman" was one of my
                  favourite episodes - and the only problem with "Random Shoes" is that Jack wasn't in it much. I
                  have my priorities!

                  namaste,
                  Elizabeth