Re: The first three episodes

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
      Personally I thought the sex bits were a trifle overdone, but I have
      seen that Outer Limits episode with Alyssa Milano and have to agree
      I'd rather the end of the Torchwood episode emulated that.
      I've got no problem with what you said, discussing the episodes is
      one of the virtues of this group and I'm hoping for more insights
      that might divulge what they've got planned especially speculation
      as thats half the fun!
      Didn't notice the bit about Jack not sleeping and have to agree
      about the bit about what did Rose do to Jack.

      SPOILER: Don't read the below unless you've seen the episode I'm
      referring to...

      Interesting little titbit regarding Captain Scarlet... in the
      original series the Mysterons were almost impossible to take down
      until they found a burst of electricity did the job and I think it
      was speculated that this would also be able to kill the hero of the
      series, however in torchwood it seems this isn't the case and thats
      as far as I'm going for now!
    • Noctaire
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006

        .

        .

        .

        .

        > Okay, so episode 4 was a bit livelier but I absolutely hated it.
        > This is a sci fi show not a Slasher Movie. The character of Ianto
        > Jones who I had always considered the stong silent, type, turned
        > out to be a blubbering ninny the episode didn't resolve properly.
        > How could he NOT have had his memory wiped? How could he continue
        > to work for Torchwood when he's obviously going to winge and sulk
        > and generally be untrustworthy for the rest of his natural life?

        Really? I really liked episode 4.

        We've already seen that Cap'n Jack's Torchwood unit is forgiving of personal
        blunders (at least to a point) and there's a 'part of the team' perspective
        that brings loyalty to all new heights. Bearing in mind that Torchwood's
        ranks have been decimated by the battle with the Cybermen/Daleks, that also
        ups the value of each member of the team. He screwed up but his mistake was
        contained and he still has something to contribute. <Shrug>

        The thing that I found not plausible was that Harkness would not know
        anything about the contents of this room. That doesn't fit the character
        they've created for him in this show; he's too much of a control freak/thumb
        on the button kinda guy to have not known about something as substantial as
        this.

        As for Ianto's character; well, the writers are REALLY focusing on character
        development in both DW and now Torchwood. I'm thinking they wanted to bring
        the "human factor" into the show. We already see it with Gwen and her
        boyfriend, we saw it with Owen's nearly uncontrollable rage in episode 3,
        and they've even shown a few cracks in the kinda-humanish Captain Jack as
        well. It helps the audience identify with the character more closely, blah,
        blah, blah.