Re: Basic First Season Torchwood Questions

  • Stacci
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
      The Ads reason for shortening the episodes makes sense. We have
      Gordon Ramsey's shows over here and they just bleep out whenever he
      says the "F" word. I guess the only way we can see the entire
      episodes is to see them on DVD.

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Daren" <twoshedsluxury@...> wrote:

      > I can answer 2 questions
      >
      > regarding the cutting of 3-5 minutes off each episode
      > in the US episodes must be no longer than 46 minutes to allow for
      ads and a normal ep of TORCHWOOD runs for 50 minutes.

      > If TORCHWOOD was set up by Queen Victoria then it is an easy guess
      that the modern day Queen Elizabeth would be the Boss and writing the
      pay cheques.

      > Daren

      Convention.
      > People who actually had seen or had the show already had their
      > questions ignored. Had I been there, there are numerous questions
      > would have asked the people. No actors showed up to the panel.
      > Reading this should in no way harm enjoyment of the show for
      those
      > who have yet to see Torchwood. While I am sure many fans will
      press
      > home the Gwyneth/Gwen connection to a point of absurdity, there
      are
      > other things brought up and not answered. I am not talking about
      Boe
      > either.
      >
      > Two other existing Torchwoods have been mentioned. One in
      Scotland
      > and another that went missing, that Captain Jack hopes to find
      > again. Is the audience going to see any sign of any of these
      > mentioned Torchwoods?
      >
      > Captain Jack worked for the Time Agency. Are we ever going to see
      > any sign of them loking for him?
      >
      > What is Captain Jack's real name?
      >
      > Are we going to see flashbacks of what Captain Jack was up to
      going
      > back to 1869?
      >
      > Captain Jack knew the Doctor was in 1940's London and also
      Cardiff
      > when the Slytheen became Mayor? Why did he not try and contact
      the
      > Doctor then?
      >
      > Have we seen the last of super-villain, Billis Manger?
      >
      > The pterodactyl came out of the rift. How did it get
      domesticated?
      > What is its name? As it is onbly really used in "Cyberwoman", are
      we
      > going to see it put to more usage in the second series?
      >
      > The main Torchwood was destroyed by Daleks and Cybermen. Did
      anybody
      > else from Torchwood 1 survive?
      >
      > If Torchwood 1 was destroyed, who does Captain Jack and the other
      > report to?
      >
      > Who funds Torchwood to keep it going and signing the paychecks?
      >
      > Is the fact that the secret entrance to Torchwood is a well-known
      > landmark now interfering with day-to-day activities of people by
      the
      > Millenium Center in Cardiff of fans trying to find the secret
      > entrance?
      >
      > Torchwood has another entrance of a tourist center for travelers
      > visiting Cardiff. Are we going to see more of the center in
      > operation with Torchwood fending off tourists?
      >
      > If Torchwood is leeching its power and electricity from
      neighboring
      > businesses, wouldn't somebody notice and trace where the extra
      > electricity was going?
      >
      > Is the Torchwood SUV also being hidden by a perception filter
      when
      > it's parked?
      >
      > Is the other resurrection glove going to put in an appearance?
      >
      > How far-ranging is the mutation process that has made Captain
      Jack
      > almost immortal?
      >
      > On BBC America, two to three minutes are being cut out of every
      > Torchwood episode for what exactly? Language? Content? Time?
      >
      > Is there any channel in the US where Torchwood will ever show
      uncut?

      > Does Torchwood have plans to bring in old enemies of the Doctor
      in
      > future episodes?
      >
      > Will there be any crossovers between Torchwood and the upcoming
      The
      > Sarah Jane Adventures?
      >
      > Toshi met the Doctor. Is that meeting ever going to be brought up
      > again?
      >
      > There were posters for voting for Saxon in a Torchwood episode.
      Are
      > we going to see more references to what is planned for Who in
      future
      > episodes of Torchwood?
      >
      > Short of Martha Jones joining Torchwood for three episodes next
      > season, are there more crossovers planned between Doctor Who and
      > Torchwood?
      >
      > Jack keeps saying that this century "Everything Changes". Are we
      > going to see signs of what the heck he is talking about?
      >
      > Are the Torchwood gang now getting major requests to do US
      > conventions?
      >
      > Is Freema Agyeman's name being added to the opening title
      sequence of
      > the main Torchwood actors for her three episodes next year?
      >
      > Did Captain Jack meet himself in the 1940's where he knew he
      would be?

      > Weevils are dressed in leather jackets indicating that either
      > somebody is dressing them or they are humans who have been
      > transformed into Weevils. Will we get an explanation as what the
      > Weevils are really about?
      >
      > Is Jack going to try and fix his vortex manipulator?
      >
      > Did Rose bring any other victim of the Daleks back to life like
      Lynda?

      > Now that Captain Jack knows what happened to Rose, is he going to
      use
      > that knowledge to try and say hello to her universe?
      >
      > By the way, my favorite Torchwood so far is Greeks Bearing Gifts.
      >
      > All for now. Let me know if you have any answers to these
      questions.

      > Dean
      > Dana Point, CA

      9/3/2007 9:31 AM

    • Lynn
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
        From: Daren <twoshedsluxury@...>

        > regarding the cutting of 3-5 minutes off each episode
        > in the US episodes must be no longer than 46 minutes to allow for ads and a normal ep of TORCHWOOD runs for 50
        > minutes.

        Torchwood series 1 runs anywhere between 46 and 52 minutes.

        There is no real length that shows "must" be in the US -- it's up to the individual network, station, or cable channel. AMC, for instance, runs Hustle in a 75 minute time slot so it doesn't need editing.

        At TCA, BBCA said that it would be cutting to 48 minutes. If that's true -- and I'm not really sure I believe it -- it's a very long TV "hour" in this day and age. Many shows now run less than 42 minutes when you cut out all the ads. (This is down from 44 minutes about 10 years ago.)

        If BBCA is really cutting to 48 minutes, then only about half the episodes would be cut at all, and none more than 3 minutes. I guess we'll get some indication this week.

        -lynn
      • Russ
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
          Answers a few of your questions:
          http://www.torchwood.org.uk/html/welcome/pterodactyl.shtml

          "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:
          The pterodactyl came out of the rift. How did it get domesticated?
          What is its name? As it is onbly really used in "Cyberwoman", are we
          going to see it put to more usage in the second series?

        • donutsweeps
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Russ <russwhover@...> wrote:

            > Answers a few of your questions:
            > http://www.torchwood.org.uk/html/welcome/pterodactyl.shtml
            >
            > "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:
            > The pterodactyl came out of the rift. How did it get domesticated?
            > What is its name? As it is onbly really used in "Cyberwoman", are we
            > going to see it put to more usage in the second series?

            the pterodactyl is never actually named in an episode of the show
            itself. It's mentioned (in either a commentary or declassified) that
            the cast and crew call it Myfanwy.
            here's some info on the myth of Myfanwy:
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/guides/weird/mythsandlegends/pages/myfanwy.shtml
          • Robert DiClemente
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
              Several weeks ago on a Thursday, people from "Torchwood" showed up to

              answer questions about the show at the San Diego Comic Convention.

              People who actually had seen or had the show already had their

              questions ignored. Had I been there, there are numerous questions I

              would have asked the people. No actors showed up to the panel.

              Reading this should in no way harm enjoyment of the show for those

              who have yet to see Torchwood. While I am sure many fans will press

              home the Gwyneth/Gwen connection to a point of absurdity, there are

              other things brought up and not answered. I am not talking about Boe

              either.

              Two other existing Torchwoods have been mentioned. One in Scotland

              and another that went missing, that Captain Jack hopes to find

              again. Is the audience going to see any sign of any of these

              mentioned Torchwoods?
              None of the other Torchwoods will be seen in the series.

              Captain Jack worked for the Time Agency. Are we ever going to see

              any sign of them loking for him?
              Not yet.

              What is Captain Jack's real name?
              None given at this point, though if you haven't seen the Last of the Timelords, I won't spoil it for ya.

              Are we going to see flashbacks of what Captain Jack was up to going

              back to 1869?

              No.

              Captain Jack knew the Doctor was in 1940's London and also Cardiff

              when the Slytheen became Mayor? Why did he not try and contact the

              Doctor then?
              Well that's depending on when. Initially, he wouldn't have know anything about the Doctor until he met him and then, he'd have to wait to meet him, but I think you find that answer in either Utopia, The Sound of Drums or Last of the Timelords.

              Have we seen the last of super-villain, Billis Manger?
              I hope not, but I'd have to rewatch Captain Jack Harkness and End of Days.

              The pterodactyl came out of the rift. How did it get domesticated?

              What is its name? As it is onbly really used in "Cyberwoman" , are we

              going to see it put to more usage in the second series?
              In order of your questions:

              Very carefully.
              Who knows.
              Wait and see, the new series airs in 2008.

              The main Torchwood was destroyed by Daleks and Cybermen. Did anybody

              else from Torchwood 1 survive?
              I don't think so, but that will be answered in TORCHWOOD

              If Torchwood 1 was destroyed, who does Captain Jack and the other

              report to?

              Anybody? I can't remember, maybe it's just them.

              Who funds Torchwood to keep it going and signing the paychecks?
              No idea.

              Is the fact that the secret entrance to Torchwood is a well-known

              landmark now interfering with day-to-day activities of people by the

              Millenium Center in Cardiff of fans trying to find the secret

              entrance?
              Yes.

              Torchwood has another entrance of a tourist center for travelers

              visiting Cardiff. Are we going to see more of the center in

              operation with Torchwood fending off tourists?
              Hopefully.

              If Torchwood is leeching its power and electricity from neighboring

              businesses, wouldn't somebody notice and trace where the extra

              electricity was going?
              It's cleverly disguised as a power outage/overflow. Just making that bit up.

              Is the Torchwood SUV also being hidden by a perception filter when

              it's parked?
              No, I think that's only when the Doctor is around. There's never been any mention of the perception filter in Torchwood.

              Is the other resurrection glove going to put in an appearance?
              If RTD has anything to do with, it will.

              How far-ranging is the mutation process that has made Captain Jack

              almost immortal?
              Ask Rose or maybe the Doctor could explain.

              On BBC America, two to three minutes are being cut out of every

              Torchwood episode for what exactly? Language? Content? Time?
              Probably language will be bleeped, but mostly time and hopefully not too much content.

              Is there any channel in the US where Torchwood will ever show uncut?
              OnDemand should be showing uncut, at least Comcast OnDemand is going to do that.

              Does Torchwood have plans to bring in old enemies of the Doctor in

              future episodes?
              I hope not, Torchwood is it's own show and should be able to have it's own enemies without the help of Doctor Who.

              Will there be any crossovers between Torchwood and the upcoming The

              Sarah Jane Adventures?
              No. I think this has been confirmed through RTD.

              Toshi met the Doctor. Is that meeting ever going to be brought up

              again?

              Not in the current series, though, well, I won't spoil that bit of info, but someone will be making their acquaintance, but not the Doctor.

              There were posters for voting for Saxon in a Torchwood episode. Are we going to see more references to what is planned for Who in future episodes of Torchwood?
              Possibly, but that's up to the writers.

              Short of Martha Jones joining Torchwood for three episodes next

              season, are there more crossovers planned between Doctor Who and

              Torchwood?

              No. I pretty sure that Martha is it. Watch Last of the Timelords to find out why.

              Jack keeps saying that this century "Everything Changes". Are we

              going to see signs of what the heck he is talking about?
              Yes.

              Are the Torchwood gang now getting major requests to do US

              conventions?
              Can't answer that, but it would be nice if they could do them.

              Is Freema Agyeman's name being added to the opening title sequence of

              the main Torchwood actors for her three episodes next year?

              I have no idea, but check the credits in 2008.

              Did Captain Jack meet himself in the 1940's where he knew he would be?
              Don't know.

              Weevils are dressed in leather jackets indicating that either

              somebody is dressing them or they are humans who have been

              transformed into Weevils. Will we get an explanation as what the

              Weevils are really about?

              Hopefully, but I think you get some explanation in Torchwood.

              Is Jack going to try and fix his vortex manipulator?
              Maybe.

              Did Rose bring any other victim of the Daleks back to life like Lynda?
              Just Jack....hee hee, no pun intended.

              Now that Captain Jack knows what happened to Rose, is he going to use

              that knowledge to try and say hello to her universe?
              Who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised if he tries.

              By the way, my favorite Torchwood so far is Greeks Bearing Gifts.
              I liked Small Worlds and Captain Jack Harkness, the latter being my favorite episode.

              All for now. Let me know if you have any answers to these questions.

              Dean

              Dana Point, CA

            • Daren
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                There has never been any mention of when TORCHWOOD 3 was built so it's entirely possible for the events of Dr Who's Boom Town to have taken place entirely in front of the entrance of TORCHWOOD with one Jack watching the other Jack from inside the Hub on CCTV

                Daren

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
                  Daren <twoshedsluxury@...> wrote: There has never been any mention of when TORCHWOOD 3 was built so it's entirely possible for the events of Dr Who's Boom Town to have taken place entirely in front of the entrance of TORCHWOOD with one Jack watching the other Jack from inside the Hub on CCTV

                  Daren

                  SPOILERS FROM THE SOUND OF DRUMS

                  SPOILERS

                  SPOILERS