Re: [torchwood] Basic First Season Torchwood Questions

  • Lynn
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3, 2007
      From: Dean L. Kaufman <deanlkaufman@...>

      >Captain Jack knew the Doctor was in 1940's London and also Cardiff
      >when the Slytheen became Mayor? Why did he not try and contact the
      >Doctor then?

      Because that would be crossing his own timeline, and a bad idea. He had to wait until after the events of Parting of the Ways in the Doctor's timeline.

      >The main Torchwood was destroyed by Daleks and Cybermen. Did anybody
      >else from Torchwood 1 survive?

      There were 27 survivors:
      http://www.torchwood.org.uk/html/fall/report.shtml

      >Torchwood has another entrance of a tourist center for travelers
      >visiting Cardiff. Are we going to see more of the center in
      >operation with Torchwood fending off tourists?

      I think you can safely guess "no," because this would be very silly.

      >How far-ranging is the mutation process that has made Captain Jack
      >almost immortal?

      >On BBC America, two to three minutes are being cut out of every
      >Torchwood episode for what exactly? Language? Content? Time?

      They say time, which makes sense. There is nothing in Torchwood that BBCA hasn't shown before. "Fuck" will probably be blanked out. We'll know in a few days.

      > Is there any channel in the US where Torchwood will ever show uncut?

      HDNet.

      >Will there be any crossovers between Torchwood and the upcoming The
      >Sarah Jane Adventures?

      Given that one is a show especially for kids and the other is for adults, I would say there is no chance of this.

      >Toshi met the Doctor. Is that meeting ever going to be brought up
      >again?

      Why would it, if the Doctor's not going to be on Torchwood (and he's not)? TV shows don't usually throw out references that aren't pertinent to something onscreen.

      >Short of Martha Jones joining Torchwood for three episodes next
      >season, are there more crossovers planned between Doctor Who and
      >Torchwood?

      Other than Jack possibly being back on Who again sometime, I doubt it.

      > Did Captain Jack meet himself in the 1940's where he knew he would be?

      Not if he could help it...

      >Weevils are dressed in leather jackets indicating that either
      >somebody is dressing them or they are humans who have been
      >transformed into Weevils.

      Or, you know, they're stealing clothes. :)

      > Did Rose bring any other victim of the Daleks back to life like Lynda?

      Given that Jack said he was alone, it doesn't seem so. Heh, of everyone on the station? Lynda is the *last* person Rose would've brought back to life :) *meow*

      >Now that Captain Jack knows what happened to Rose, is he going to use
      >that knowledge to try and say hello to her universe?

      If the Doctor can't, what makes you think Jack can?

      -lynn

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2007
        At 12:23 AM 9/4/2007, Dean L. Kaufman mentioned:

        >Two other existing Torchwoods have been mentioned. One in Scotland
        >and another that went missing, that Captain Jack hopes to find
        >again. Is the audience going to see any sign of any of these
        >mentioned Torchwoods?
        >
        >Captain Jack worked for the Time Agency. Are we ever going to see
        >any sign of them loking for him?
        >
        >What is Captain Jack's real name?
        >
        >Are we going to see flashbacks of what Captain Jack was up to going
        >back to 1869?
        >
        >Captain Jack knew the Doctor was in 1940's London and also Cardiff
        >when the Slytheen became Mayor? Why did he not try and contact the Doctor then?

        I'm not certain about the 1940's thing (I mean I know what you're
        referring to but I'm not certain why Jack would avoid it - only
        perhaps because he would not want to interfere with his FIRST meeting
        of the Doctor and Rose) but I do know that he probably would NOT want
        to cross his own timeline by interfering with the Doctor, Rose,
        Mickey and his earlier (still mortal) self when Margaret (the
        Slytheen) was mayor - as this took place with Doctor 9 before the
        events that eventually separated Jack from the Doctor and Rose

        >Have we seen the last of super-villain, Billis Manger?
        >
        >The pterodactyl came out of the rift. How did it get domesticated?
        >What is its name? As it is onbly really used in "Cyberwoman", are we
        >going to see it put to more usage in the second series?
        >
        >The main Torchwood was destroyed by Daleks and Cybermen. Did anybody
        >else from Torchwood 1 survive?
        >
        >If Torchwood 1 was destroyed, who does Captain Jack and the other report to?

        I don't get the impression from Jack's comments to the Doctor in
        'Sound of Drums' that Torchwood 3 (or 2 for that matter) report to
        anyone - he told the Doctor that he had rebuilt Torchwood and that it
        was different now and that he had done in honour of the Doctor - so
        it sounds as though any 'over authority' is gone - that currently it
        appears each Torchwood is autonomous or nearly so

        >Who funds Torchwood to keep it going and signing the paychecks?
        >
        >Is the fact that the secret entrance to Torchwood is a well-known
        >landmark now interfering with day-to-day activities of people by the
        >Millenium Center in Cardiff of fans trying to find the secret entrance?
        >
        >Torchwood has another entrance of a tourist center for travelers
        >visiting Cardiff. Are we going to see more of the center in
        >operation with Torchwood fending off tourists?
        >
        >If Torchwood is leeching its power and electricity from neighboring
        >businesses, wouldn't somebody notice and trace where the extra
        >electricity was going?
        >
        >Is the Torchwood SUV also being hidden by a perception filter when
        >it's parked?
        >
        >Is the other resurrection glove going to put in an appearance?
        >
        >How far-ranging is the mutation process that has made Captain Jack
        >almost immortal?
        >
        >On BBC America, two to three minutes are being cut out of every
        >Torchwood episode for what exactly? Language? Content? Time?

        from recent articles - it appears the cuts are for time - so that
        more advertisements can by inserted

        >Is there any channel in the US where Torchwood will ever show uncut?

        HDNET (I think that's the name of the 'channel') - appears that it
        will be airing the HD versions uncut

        >Does Torchwood have plans to bring in old enemies of the Doctor in
        >future episodes?
        >
        >Will there be any crossovers between Torchwood and the upcoming The
        >Sarah Jane Adventures?

        again I suspect that there won't be much in the way of crossovers
        btwn TW and TSJA - simply because TW is for adult audiences and TSJA
        are meant for younger family audiences - the BBC appears to want them
        to be 'separate' and therefore to not encourage younger viewers to
        want to watch TW

        >Toshi met the Doctor. Is that meeting ever going to be brought up again?
        >
        >There were posters for voting for Saxon in a Torchwood episode. Are
        >we going to see more references to what is planned for Who in future
        >episodes of Torchwood?
        >
        >Short of Martha Jones joining Torchwood for three episodes next
        >season, are there more crossovers planned between Doctor Who and Torchwood?

        according to RTD - other than Martha appearing in TW and Jack
        appearing in DW - there are no true crossovers in the works because
        one show is a family show intended for a family audience and the
        other is a post watershed show clearly intended for a mature adult audience

        >Jack keeps saying that this century "Everything Changes". Are we
        >going to see signs of what the heck he is talking about?
        >
        >Are the Torchwood gang now getting major requests to do US conventions?
        >
        >Is Freema Agyeman's name being added to the opening title sequence
        >of the main Torchwood actors for her three episodes next year?
        >
        >Did Captain Jack meet himself in the 1940's where he knew he would be?

        again I suspect that he would not because of the interference thing
        with a previous version of himself - the Doctor seems to avoid such
        issues (i.e. The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors)
        because he is a TimeLord and that appears to give him some immunity
        to possible complications of interacting with an earlier version of
        himself - Jack would not have this immunity

        >Weevils are dressed in leather jackets indicating that either
        >somebody is dressing them or they are humans who have been
        >transformed into Weevils. Will we get an explanation as what the
        >Weevils are really about?

        actually if you look at the Weevils' clothing - it is not a leather
        jackets but some sort of jumpsuit/bodysuit made of a shiny synthetic
        material - but it really does not appear to be leather - I would
        guess they come thru the rift dress in that manner

        >Is Jack going to try and fix his vortex manipulator?
        >
        >Did Rose bring any other victim of the Daleks back to life like Lynda?

        I think if that were the case that the Doctor would know about it -
        Jack's existence appeared to disturb him enough that he would NOT
        have been happy if there were other immortals roaming the future -
        also while Rose 'knew' Jack was on the station and had to be dead at
        the point when she returned to save the Doctor - I don't get the
        impression that she was thinking about any of the others on the
        station that had died by the time she returned, destroyed the Daleks
        and then was told by the Doctor to let go of the Vortex - the only
        one that appeared to come to mind was Jack

        >Now that Captain Jack knows what happened to Rose, is he going to
        >use that knowledge to try and say hello to her universe?

        the universes are supposed to be 'cut off' from one another and thus
        the Doctor's inability to reunite with Rose other than thru that very
        temporary 'rift' he used to speak to her and then no more - so I
        doubt that Jack would have access to technology or knowledge that
        would allow him to say 'hello' to her

        >By the way, my favorite Torchwood so far is Greeks Bearing Gifts.
        >
        >All for now. Let me know if you have any answers to these questions.

        don't know how accurate my answers are - most are deductions, etc. -
        but hope this helps or at least encourages discussion

        and my favourite episode so far is 1.12 Captain Jack Harkness - I
        thought that John's acting was superb and that Matt Rippy was
        brilliantly cast as Capt. Jack Harkness and it felt like it was about
        damn time that we got to know more about our Jack - even if we
        learned that we didn't quite know everything we thought we did originally

        pfyre
      • Daren
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
          I can answer 2 questions

          regarding the cutting of 3-5 minutes off each episode
          in the US episodes must be no longer than 46 minutes to allow for ads and a normal ep of TORCHWOOD runs for 50 minutes.

          If TORCHWOOD was set up by Queen Victoria then it is an easy guess that the modern day Queen Elizabeth would be the Boss and writing the pay cheques.

          Daren

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

            > >Captain Jack worked for the Time Agency. Are we ever going to see
            > >any sign of them loking for him?

            This will be addressed in the first couple of episodes of series 2.
            James Marsters is playing another Time Agent who comes looking for
            Jack.
          • Stacci
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
              The Ads reason for shortening the episodes makes sense. We have
              Gordon Ramsey's shows over here and they just bleep out whenever he
              says the "F" word. I guess the only way we can see the entire
              episodes is to see them on DVD.

              --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Daren" <twoshedsluxury@...> wrote:

              > I can answer 2 questions
              >
              > regarding the cutting of 3-5 minutes off each episode
              > in the US episodes must be no longer than 46 minutes to allow for
              ads and a normal ep of TORCHWOOD runs for 50 minutes.

              > If TORCHWOOD was set up by Queen Victoria then it is an easy guess
              that the modern day Queen Elizabeth would be the Boss and writing the
              pay cheques.

              > Daren

              9/3/2007 9:31 AM

            • Lynn
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
                From: Daren <twoshedsluxury@...>

                > regarding the cutting of 3-5 minutes off each episode
                > in the US episodes must be no longer than 46 minutes to allow for ads and a normal ep of TORCHWOOD runs for 50
                > minutes.

                Torchwood series 1 runs anywhere between 46 and 52 minutes.

                There is no real length that shows "must" be in the US -- it's up to the individual network, station, or cable channel. AMC, for instance, runs Hustle in a 75 minute time slot so it doesn't need editing.

                At TCA, BBCA said that it would be cutting to 48 minutes. If that's true -- and I'm not really sure I believe it -- it's a very long TV "hour" in this day and age. Many shows now run less than 42 minutes when you cut out all the ads. (This is down from 44 minutes about 10 years ago.)

                If BBCA is really cutting to 48 minutes, then only about half the episodes would be cut at all, and none more than 3 minutes. I guess we'll get some indication this week.

                -lynn
              • Russ
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Answers a few of your questions:
                  http://www.torchwood.org.uk/html/welcome/pterodactyl.shtml

                  "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:
                  The pterodactyl came out of the rift. How did it get domesticated?
                  What is its name? As it is onbly really used in "Cyberwoman", are we
                  going to see it put to more usage in the second series?

                • donutsweeps
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
                    --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Russ <russwhover@...> wrote:

                    > Answers a few of your questions:
                    > http://www.torchwood.org.uk/html/welcome/pterodactyl.shtml
                    >
                    > "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:
                    > The pterodactyl came out of the rift. How did it get domesticated?
                    > What is its name? As it is onbly really used in "Cyberwoman", are we
                    > going to see it put to more usage in the second series?

                    the pterodactyl is never actually named in an episode of the show
                    itself. It's mentioned (in either a commentary or declassified) that
                    the cast and crew call it Myfanwy.
                    here's some info on the myth of Myfanwy:
                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/guides/weird/mythsandlegends/pages/myfanwy.shtml
                  • Robert DiClemente
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Several weeks ago on a Thursday, people from "Torchwood" showed up to

                      answer questions about the show at the San Diego Comic Convention.

                      People who actually had seen or had the show already had their

                      questions ignored. Had I been there, there are numerous questions I

                      would have asked the people. No actors showed up to the panel.

                      Reading this should in no way harm enjoyment of the show for those

                      who have yet to see Torchwood. While I am sure many fans will press

                      home the Gwyneth/Gwen connection to a point of absurdity, there are

                      other things brought up and not answered. I am not talking about Boe

                      either.

                      Two other existing Torchwoods have been mentioned. One in Scotland

                      and another that went missing, that Captain Jack hopes to find

                      again. Is the audience going to see any sign of any of these

                      mentioned Torchwoods?
                      None of the other Torchwoods will be seen in the series.

                      Captain Jack worked for the Time Agency. Are we ever going to see

                      any sign of them loking for him?
                      Not yet.

                      What is Captain Jack's real name?
                      None given at this point, though if you haven't seen the Last of the Timelords, I won't spoil it for ya.

                      Are we going to see flashbacks of what Captain Jack was up to going

                      back to 1869?

                      No.

                      Captain Jack knew the Doctor was in 1940's London and also Cardiff

                      when the Slytheen became Mayor? Why did he not try and contact the

                      Doctor then?
                      Well that's depending on when. Initially, he wouldn't have know anything about the Doctor until he met him and then, he'd have to wait to meet him, but I think you find that answer in either Utopia, The Sound of Drums or Last of the Timelords.

                      Have we seen the last of super-villain, Billis Manger?
                      I hope not, but I'd have to rewatch Captain Jack Harkness and End of Days.

                      The pterodactyl came out of the rift. How did it get domesticated?

                      What is its name? As it is onbly really used in "Cyberwoman" , are we

                      going to see it put to more usage in the second series?
                      In order of your questions:

                      Very carefully.
                      Who knows.
                      Wait and see, the new series airs in 2008.

                      The main Torchwood was destroyed by Daleks and Cybermen. Did anybody

                      else from Torchwood 1 survive?
                      I don't think so, but that will be answered in TORCHWOOD

                      If Torchwood 1 was destroyed, who does Captain Jack and the other

                      report to?

                      Anybody? I can't remember, maybe it's just them.

                      Who funds Torchwood to keep it going and signing the paychecks?
                      No idea.

                      Is the fact that the secret entrance to Torchwood is a well-known

                      landmark now interfering with day-to-day activities of people by the

                      Millenium Center in Cardiff of fans trying to find the secret

                      entrance?
                      Yes.

                      Torchwood has another entrance of a tourist center for travelers

                      visiting Cardiff. Are we going to see more of the center in

                      operation with Torchwood fending off tourists?
                      Hopefully.

                      If Torchwood is leeching its power and electricity from neighboring

                      businesses, wouldn't somebody notice and trace where the extra

                      electricity was going?
                      It's cleverly disguised as a power outage/overflow. Just making that bit up.

                      Is the Torchwood SUV also being hidden by a perception filter when

                      it's parked?
                      No, I think that's only when the Doctor is around. There's never been any mention of the perception filter in Torchwood.

                      Is the other resurrection glove going to put in an appearance?
                      If RTD has anything to do with, it will.

                      How far-ranging is the mutation process that has made Captain Jack

                      almost immortal?
                      Ask Rose or maybe the Doctor could explain.

                      On BBC America, two to three minutes are being cut out of every

                      Torchwood episode for what exactly? Language? Content? Time?
                      Probably language will be bleeped, but mostly time and hopefully not too much content.

                      Is there any channel in the US where Torchwood will ever show uncut?
                      OnDemand should be showing uncut, at least Comcast OnDemand is going to do that.

                      Does Torchwood have plans to bring in old enemies of the Doctor in

                      future episodes?
                      I hope not, Torchwood is it's own show and should be able to have it's own enemies without the help of Doctor Who.

                      Will there be any crossovers between Torchwood and the upcoming The

                      Sarah Jane Adventures?
                      No. I think this has been confirmed through RTD.

                      Toshi met the Doctor. Is that meeting ever going to be brought up

                      again?

                      Not in the current series, though, well, I won't spoil that bit of info, but someone will be making their acquaintance, but not the Doctor.

                      There were posters for voting for Saxon in a Torchwood episode. Are we going to see more references to what is planned for Who in future episodes of Torchwood?
                      Possibly, but that's up to the writers.

                      Short of Martha Jones joining Torchwood for three episodes next

                      season, are there more crossovers planned between Doctor Who and

                      Torchwood?

                      No. I pretty sure that Martha is it. Watch Last of the Timelords to find out why.

                      Jack keeps saying that this century "Everything Changes". Are we

                      going to see signs of what the heck he is talking about?
                      Yes.

                      Are the Torchwood gang now getting major requests to do US

                      conventions?
                      Can't answer that, but it would be nice if they could do them.

                      Is Freema Agyeman's name being added to the opening title sequence of

                      the main Torchwood actors for her three episodes next year?

                      I have no idea, but check the credits in 2008.

                      Did Captain Jack meet himself in the 1940's where he knew he would be?
                      Don't know.

                      Weevils are dressed in leather jackets indicating that either

                      somebody is dressing them or they are humans who have been

                      transformed into Weevils. Will we get an explanation as what the

                      Weevils are really about?

                      Hopefully, but I think you get some explanation in Torchwood.

                      Is Jack going to try and fix his vortex manipulator?
                      Maybe.

                      Did Rose bring any other victim of the Daleks back to life like Lynda?
                      Just Jack....hee hee, no pun intended.

                      Now that Captain Jack knows what happened to Rose, is he going to use

                      that knowledge to try and say hello to her universe?
                      Who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised if he tries.

                      By the way, my favorite Torchwood so far is Greeks Bearing Gifts.
                      I liked Small Worlds and Captain Jack Harkness, the latter being my favorite episode.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                        There has never been any mention of when TORCHWOOD 3 was built so it's entirely possible for the events of Dr Who's Boom Town to have taken place entirely in front of the entrance of TORCHWOOD with one Jack watching the other Jack from inside the Hub on CCTV

                        Daren

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
                          Daren <twoshedsluxury@...> wrote: There has never been any mention of when TORCHWOOD 3 was built so it's entirely possible for the events of Dr Who's Boom Town to have taken place entirely in front of the entrance of TORCHWOOD with one Jack watching the other Jack from inside the Hub on CCTV

                          Daren

                          SPOILERS FROM THE SOUND OF DRUMS

                          SPOILERS

                          SPOILERS