Re: [torchwood] The first three episodes

  • giant.squid@virgin.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006

      You aren't offending me.  I have much less of a problem with the sex than seemingly most people do.

      ***I should point out that the sex doesn't bother me.....it's just the way it was sort of....and I use the term with tongue firmly in cheek....rammed down our throats ;-) Like I said, the 'sex spray' in ep 1 did a much more elegant of saying 'we're adult'.

      Not sure why, but I am just not worried about it. I think we get just as much of that, if not more in some cases, here on American TV. I just think Doctor Who has grown with the times and become more believeable in some ways because of the more mature content. And Torchwood, well, we knew all along it was going to be racy and adult, so I went into it expecting it,

      ***Oh, me too, but I ws disappointed with the...um....obviousness of it.

      having watched some much racier stuff on BBC America. Out of curiousity, what part of the US do you live in?

      ***I don't think it was directed at me, but I'm in the UK.....

      I live in the crotchless panty of the Bible Belt in South Carolina. Part of my attitude about sex may be becasue of a knee jerk reaction against the uptight conservatism already here. I am a very liberal person. Like you, I am also bi

      ***ah, then it deffo wasn't aimed at me :-) But for what it's worth, I'm gay....

      Dr Who is the new Judy Garland I tells ya! ;-D
    • Colin
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
        Personally I thought the sex bits were a trifle overdone, but I have
        seen that Outer Limits episode with Alyssa Milano and have to agree
        I'd rather the end of the Torchwood episode emulated that.
        I've got no problem with what you said, discussing the episodes is
        one of the virtues of this group and I'm hoping for more insights
        that might divulge what they've got planned especially speculation
        as thats half the fun!
        Didn't notice the bit about Jack not sleeping and have to agree
        about the bit about what did Rose do to Jack.

        SPOILER: Don't read the below unless you've seen the episode I'm
        referring to...

        Interesting little titbit regarding Captain Scarlet... in the
        original series the Mysterons were almost impossible to take down
        until they found a burst of electricity did the job and I think it
        was speculated that this would also be able to kill the hero of the
        series, however in torchwood it seems this isn't the case and thats
        as far as I'm going for now!
      • Noctaire
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006

          .

          .

          .

          .

          > Okay, so episode 4 was a bit livelier but I absolutely hated it.
          > This is a sci fi show not a Slasher Movie. The character of Ianto
          > Jones who I had always considered the stong silent, type, turned
          > out to be a blubbering ninny the episode didn't resolve properly.
          > How could he NOT have had his memory wiped? How could he continue
          > to work for Torchwood when he's obviously going to winge and sulk
          > and generally be untrustworthy for the rest of his natural life?

          Really? I really liked episode 4.

          We've already seen that Cap'n Jack's Torchwood unit is forgiving of personal
          blunders (at least to a point) and there's a 'part of the team' perspective
          that brings loyalty to all new heights. Bearing in mind that Torchwood's
          ranks have been decimated by the battle with the Cybermen/Daleks, that also
          ups the value of each member of the team. He screwed up but his mistake was
          contained and he still has something to contribute. <Shrug>

          The thing that I found not plausible was that Harkness would not know
          anything about the contents of this room. That doesn't fit the character
          they've created for him in this show; he's too much of a control freak/thumb
          on the button kinda guy to have not known about something as substantial as
          this.

          As for Ianto's character; well, the writers are REALLY focusing on character
          development in both DW and now Torchwood. I'm thinking they wanted to bring
          the "human factor" into the show. We already see it with Gwen and her
          boyfriend, we saw it with Owen's nearly uncontrollable rage in episode 3,
          and they've even shown a few cracks in the kinda-humanish Captain Jack as
          well. It helps the audience identify with the character more closely, blah,
          blah, blah.