Re: [torchwood] Re: Torchwood Question - First Mention

  • majkia
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
      a dolphin delivered a bottle from badblokebob saying on 9/3/2007 10:22 AM:
      > Actually, the first mention of Torchwood was in the first season
      > episode "Bad Wolf", in one of the questions on The Weakest Link.

      IIRC, the mention in Bad Wolf was more based on the fact that
      "TORCHWOOD" was an anagram of Doctor Who, meant to keep the scripts more
      secret. Or at least I've seen that argument in more than one place.

      --

      /Jean/Majkia Bloggy Bayou <http://majkia.livejournal.com/>/

      / Vampires and Mages and Werewolves, oh my!
      <http://quillings.wikispaces.com>/

      I do not know where I am going. But I am quite weary enough of where
      I've been. - The Hallowed Hunt

    • Lynn
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
        From: majkia <majkia@...>

        > IIRC, the mention in Bad Wolf was more based on the fact that

        > "TORCHWOOD" was an anagram of Doctor Who, meant to keep the scripts more

        > secret. Or at least I've seen that argument in more than one place.

        IMO, that doesn't make sense. The question was: "The Great Cobalt Pyramid is built on the remains of which famous Old Earth Institute?" And the answer was "Torchwood."

        So it's already clear that it's an "Institute" and part of what (in the year 100,100) is "Old Earth." There's nothing inconsistent with what we learn later, or anything to make me think they didn't already know what Torchwood was by the time that turned up.
        Maybe not precisely, but it seems like they had far more in mind than some random anagram.

        Whatever one thinks, it's certainly referenced in Bad Wolf, and that's the first mention in the series. In Earth's linear chronology, the first reference is in Tooth & Claw.

        -lynn