Re: Torchwood Question - First Mention

  • badblokebob
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
      Actually, the first mention of Torchwood was in the first season
      episode "Bad Wolf", in one of the questions on The Weakest Link.

      Also, RTD has stated that there's no link between Gwyneth and Gwen
      (beyond the obvious fact that they're played by the same actress). Of
      course, he also said he had no plans to bring the Master back and
      that he didn't like him very much, so he's clearly prone to lying!
      But for now, as far as the official line goes, there's no connection
      between the two characters.

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman"
      <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

      > The first actual mention there has been of Torchwood was when Prime
      > Minister Harriet Jones ordered Torchwood activated in "The
      Christmas
      > Invasion".
      >
      > The first seeds of the show was in "The Unquiet Dead" where the
      > space/time rift in Cardiff was set up.
      >
      > Gwyneth the maid (Eve Myles), a woman given paranormal powers from
      the
      > rift has somehow been reborn in this era as Gwen Cooper, new mmeber
      of
      > Torchwood.
      >
      > The first member of Torchwood to be seen was Toshiko Sato who was
      > doing the alien autopsy in "Aliens of London". She would be seen
      as
      > active member of Torchwood from first episode of spinoff series
      onward.

      > The response to the five appearance of Captain Jack Harkness in the
      > five episodes of Doctor Who he was in made it obvious the character
      > had to continue on as a smart business venture for the BBC.
      >
      > The show Torchwood and the last three episodes of Doctor Who this
      past
      > season where Captain Jack rejoins travels with the Doctor
      temporarily
      > raise far more questions than are being answered right away. If
      you
      > want to see what Captain Jack Harkness does after Torchwood season
      > one, turn on Sci Fi Channel September 21st for Utopia, September
      28th
      > for The Sound of Drums and then October 5th for Last of the Time
      > Lords. You will have far more questions about Captain Jack and
      > Torchwood after you have seen those stories.
      >
      > Dean
      >

      > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Is this (the new show) the first time Torchwood has been
      mentioned
      > in
      > > the Dr. Who history? If not, when did it make it's first
      appearance?

    • Tom Beck
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
        Technically, the very first mention of Torchwood was in "Tooth and
        Claw" when Queen Victoria proclaims the establishment of the Torchwood
        Institute.

        On Sep 3, 2007, at 11:22 AM, badblokebob wrote:

        > Actually, the first mention of Torchwood was in the first season
        > episode "Bad Wolf", in one of the questions on The Weakest Link.
        >
        > Also, RTD has stated that there's no link between Gwyneth and Gwen
        > (beyond the obvious fact that they're played by the same actress). Of
        > course, he also said he had no plans to bring the Master back and
        > that he didn't like him very much, so he's clearly prone to lying!
        > But for now, as far as the official line goes, there's no connection
        > between the two characters.
        >
        > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman"
        > <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > The first actual mention there has been of Torchwood was when Prime
        > > Minister Harriet Jones ordered Torchwood activated in "The
        > Christmas
        > > Invasion".
        > >
        > > The first seeds of the show was in "The Unquiet Dead" where the
        > > space/time rift in Cardiff was set up.
        > >
        > > Gwyneth the maid (Eve Myles), a woman given paranormal powers from
        > the
        > > rift has somehow been reborn in this era as Gwen Cooper, new mmeber
        > of
        > > Torchwood.
        > >
        > > The first member of Torchwood to be seen was Toshiko Sato who was
        > > doing the alien autopsy in "Aliens of London". She would be seen
        > as
        > > active member of Torchwood from first episode of spinoff series
        > onward.
        > >
        > > The response to the five appearance of Captain Jack Harkness in the
        > > five episodes of Doctor Who he was in made it obvious the character
        > > had to continue on as a smart business venture for the BBC.
        > >
        > > The show Torchwood and the last three episodes of Doctor Who this
        > past
        > > season where Captain Jack rejoins travels with the Doctor
        > temporarily
        > > raise far more questions than are being answered right away. If
        > you
        > > want to see what Captain Jack Harkness does after Torchwood season
        > > one, turn on Sci Fi Channel September 21st for Utopia, September
        > 28th
        > > for The Sound of Drums and then October 5th for Last of the Time
        > > Lords. You will have far more questions about Captain Jack and
        > > Torchwood after you have seen those stories.
        > >
        > > Dean
        > >

        > > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Is this (the new show) the first time Torchwood has been
        > mentioned
        > > in
        > > > the Dr. Who history? If not, when did it make it's first
        > appearance?

        ----------------------------

        Thomas N. Beck

        "Well, this train carries saints and sinners/This train carries losers
        and winners/This train carries whores and gamblers/This train carries
        lost souls/This train carries broken-hearted/This train - thieves and
        sweet souls departed/This train carries fools, carries kings/This train
        - all aboard!/I said, this train - dreams will not be thwarted/This
        train - faith will be rewarded/This train - hear the steel wheels
        singing/This train - bells of freedom ringing!" - Bruce Springsteen,
        "Land of Hope and Dreams"

      • majkia
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
          a dolphin delivered a bottle from badblokebob saying on 9/3/2007 10:22 AM:
          > Actually, the first mention of Torchwood was in the first season
          > episode "Bad Wolf", in one of the questions on The Weakest Link.

          IIRC, the mention in Bad Wolf was more based on the fact that
          "TORCHWOOD" was an anagram of Doctor Who, meant to keep the scripts more
          secret. Or at least I've seen that argument in more than one place.

          --

          /Jean/Majkia Bloggy Bayou <http://majkia.livejournal.com/>/

          / Vampires and Mages and Werewolves, oh my!
          <http://quillings.wikispaces.com>/

          I do not know where I am going. But I am quite weary enough of where
          I've been. - The Hallowed Hunt

        • Lynn
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
            From: majkia <majkia@...>

            > IIRC, the mention in Bad Wolf was more based on the fact that

            > "TORCHWOOD" was an anagram of Doctor Who, meant to keep the scripts more

            > secret. Or at least I've seen that argument in more than one place.

            IMO, that doesn't make sense. The question was: "The Great Cobalt Pyramid is built on the remains of which famous Old Earth Institute?" And the answer was "Torchwood."

            So it's already clear that it's an "Institute" and part of what (in the year 100,100) is "Old Earth." There's nothing inconsistent with what we learn later, or anything to make me think they didn't already know what Torchwood was by the time that turned up.
            Maybe not precisely, but it seems like they had far more in mind than some random anagram.

            Whatever one thinks, it's certainly referenced in Bad Wolf, and that's the first mention in the series. In Earth's linear chronology, the first reference is in Tooth & Claw.

            -lynn