Re: [torchwood] Torchwood Question

  • Robert DiClemente
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2007
      UNIT and Torchwood are two different entities, but I completely understand your explanation. Think of Torchwood as an X-Files type organization, with a bit of Doctor Who thrown in to the mix.
      Considering that Torchwood was formed in Queen Victoria's time, 1879 to be exact, reference TOOTH AND CLAW, I would say that UNIT has nothing to do with Torchwood. UNIT was created after the Great Intellegence invaded London in the WEB OF FEAR story from 1968, Classic Series. So that's 89 years after Torchwood.
      I'm not going to speculate what "working" relationship UNIT has with Torchwood and vice-versa, but I know that Torchwood has commented about UNIT in one story during the first season of Torchwood.
      I hope this clears things up for the original question.

      From: Stacci
      Date: 9/2/2007 8:36:24 PM
      To: torchwood@yahoogrou ps.com
      Subject: [torchwood] Torchwood Question

      Is this (the new show) the first time Torchwood has been mentioned in
      the Dr. Who history? If not, when did it make it's first appearance?

      Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format
      to Traditional
      2New Members
      Visit Your Group
      Dog Groups
      on Yahoo! Groups
      Share pictures &
      stories about dogs.
      Moderator Central
      An online resource
      for moderators
      of Yahoo! Groups.
      Find Enlightenment
      Yoga groups and
      resources on
      Yahoo! Groups.

    • Dean L. Kaufman
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
        The first actual mention there has been of Torchwood was when Prime
        Minister Harriet Jones ordered Torchwood activated in "The Christmas
        Invasion".

        The first seeds of the show was in "The Unquiet Dead" where the
        space/time rift in Cardiff was set up.

        Gwyneth the maid (Eve Myles), a woman given paranormal powers from the
        rift has somehow been reborn in this era as Gwen Cooper, new mmeber of
        Torchwood.

        The first member of Torchwood to be seen was Toshiko Sato who was
        doing the alien autopsy in "Aliens of London". She would be seen as
        active member of Torchwood from first episode of spinoff series onward.

        The response to the five appearance of Captain Jack Harkness in the
        five episodes of Doctor Who he was in made it obvious the character
        had to continue on as a smart business venture for the BBC.

        The show Torchwood and the last three episodes of Doctor Who this past
        season where Captain Jack rejoins travels with the Doctor temporarily
        raise far more questions than are being answered right away. If you
        want to see what Captain Jack Harkness does after Torchwood season
        one, turn on Sci Fi Channel September 21st for Utopia, September 28th
        for The Sound of Drums and then October 5th for Last of the Time
        Lords. You will have far more questions about Captain Jack and
        Torchwood after you have seen those stories.

        Dean

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@...> wrote:

        > Is this (the new show) the first time Torchwood has been mentioned
        in
        > the Dr. Who history? If not, when did it make it's first appearance?

      • badblokebob
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
          Actually, the first mention of Torchwood was in the first season
          episode "Bad Wolf", in one of the questions on The Weakest Link.

          Also, RTD has stated that there's no link between Gwyneth and Gwen
          (beyond the obvious fact that they're played by the same actress). Of
          course, he also said he had no plans to bring the Master back and
          that he didn't like him very much, so he's clearly prone to lying!
          But for now, as far as the official line goes, there's no connection
          between the two characters.

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman"
          <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

          > The first actual mention there has been of Torchwood was when Prime
          > Minister Harriet Jones ordered Torchwood activated in "The
          Christmas
          > Invasion".
          >
          > The first seeds of the show was in "The Unquiet Dead" where the
          > space/time rift in Cardiff was set up.
          >
          > Gwyneth the maid (Eve Myles), a woman given paranormal powers from
          the
          > rift has somehow been reborn in this era as Gwen Cooper, new mmeber
          of
          > Torchwood.
          >
          > The first member of Torchwood to be seen was Toshiko Sato who was
          > doing the alien autopsy in "Aliens of London". She would be seen
          as
          > active member of Torchwood from first episode of spinoff series
          onward.

          > The response to the five appearance of Captain Jack Harkness in the
          > five episodes of Doctor Who he was in made it obvious the character
          > had to continue on as a smart business venture for the BBC.
          >
          > The show Torchwood and the last three episodes of Doctor Who this
          past
          > season where Captain Jack rejoins travels with the Doctor
          temporarily
          > raise far more questions than are being answered right away. If
          you
          > want to see what Captain Jack Harkness does after Torchwood season
          > one, turn on Sci Fi Channel September 21st for Utopia, September
          28th
          > for The Sound of Drums and then October 5th for Last of the Time
          > Lords. You will have far more questions about Captain Jack and
          > Torchwood after you have seen those stories.
          >
          > Dean
          >

          > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is this (the new show) the first time Torchwood has been
          mentioned
          > in
          > > the Dr. Who history? If not, when did it make it's first
          appearance?

        • Tom Beck
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
            Technically, the very first mention of Torchwood was in "Tooth and
            Claw" when Queen Victoria proclaims the establishment of the Torchwood
            Institute.

            On Sep 3, 2007, at 11:22 AM, badblokebob wrote:

            > Actually, the first mention of Torchwood was in the first season
            > episode "Bad Wolf", in one of the questions on The Weakest Link.
            >
            > Also, RTD has stated that there's no link between Gwyneth and Gwen
            > (beyond the obvious fact that they're played by the same actress). Of
            > course, he also said he had no plans to bring the Master back and
            > that he didn't like him very much, so he's clearly prone to lying!
            > But for now, as far as the official line goes, there's no connection
            > between the two characters.
            >
            > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman"
            > <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The first actual mention there has been of Torchwood was when Prime
            > > Minister Harriet Jones ordered Torchwood activated in "The
            > Christmas
            > > Invasion".
            > >
            > > The first seeds of the show was in "The Unquiet Dead" where the
            > > space/time rift in Cardiff was set up.
            > >
            > > Gwyneth the maid (Eve Myles), a woman given paranormal powers from
            > the
            > > rift has somehow been reborn in this era as Gwen Cooper, new mmeber
            > of
            > > Torchwood.
            > >
            > > The first member of Torchwood to be seen was Toshiko Sato who was
            > > doing the alien autopsy in "Aliens of London". She would be seen
            > as
            > > active member of Torchwood from first episode of spinoff series
            > onward.
            > >
            > > The response to the five appearance of Captain Jack Harkness in the
            > > five episodes of Doctor Who he was in made it obvious the character
            > > had to continue on as a smart business venture for the BBC.
            > >
            > > The show Torchwood and the last three episodes of Doctor Who this
            > past
            > > season where Captain Jack rejoins travels with the Doctor
            > temporarily
            > > raise far more questions than are being answered right away. If
            > you
            > > want to see what Captain Jack Harkness does after Torchwood season
            > > one, turn on Sci Fi Channel September 21st for Utopia, September
            > 28th
            > > for The Sound of Drums and then October 5th for Last of the Time
            > > Lords. You will have far more questions about Captain Jack and
            > > Torchwood after you have seen those stories.
            > >
            > > Dean
            > >

            > > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Is this (the new show) the first time Torchwood has been
            > mentioned
            > > in
            > > > the Dr. Who history? If not, when did it make it's first
            > appearance?

            ----------------------------

            Thomas N. Beck

            "Well, this train carries saints and sinners/This train carries losers
            and winners/This train carries whores and gamblers/This train carries
            lost souls/This train carries broken-hearted/This train - thieves and
            sweet souls departed/This train carries fools, carries kings/This train
            - all aboard!/I said, this train - dreams will not be thwarted/This
            train - faith will be rewarded/This train - hear the steel wheels
            singing/This train - bells of freedom ringing!" - Bruce Springsteen,
            "Land of Hope and Dreams"

          • majkia
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
              a dolphin delivered a bottle from badblokebob saying on 9/3/2007 10:22 AM:
              > Actually, the first mention of Torchwood was in the first season
              > episode "Bad Wolf", in one of the questions on The Weakest Link.

              IIRC, the mention in Bad Wolf was more based on the fact that
              "TORCHWOOD" was an anagram of Doctor Who, meant to keep the scripts more
              secret. Or at least I've seen that argument in more than one place.

              --

              /Jean/Majkia Bloggy Bayou <http://majkia.livejournal.com/>/

              / Vampires and Mages and Werewolves, oh my!
              <http://quillings.wikispaces.com>/

              I do not know where I am going. But I am quite weary enough of where
              I've been. - The Hallowed Hunt

            • Lynn
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
                From: majkia <majkia@...>

                > IIRC, the mention in Bad Wolf was more based on the fact that

                > "TORCHWOOD" was an anagram of Doctor Who, meant to keep the scripts more

                > secret. Or at least I've seen that argument in more than one place.

                IMO, that doesn't make sense. The question was: "The Great Cobalt Pyramid is built on the remains of which famous Old Earth Institute?" And the answer was "Torchwood."

                So it's already clear that it's an "Institute" and part of what (in the year 100,100) is "Old Earth." There's nothing inconsistent with what we learn later, or anything to make me think they didn't already know what Torchwood was by the time that turned up.
                Maybe not precisely, but it seems like they had far more in mind than some random anagram.

                Whatever one thinks, it's certainly referenced in Bad Wolf, and that's the first mention in the series. In Earth's linear chronology, the first reference is in Tooth & Claw.

                -lynn