Torchwood in America

  • Megan M
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 29, 2007
      Hello,

      I was wondering how American fans would be accessing Torchwood. I for one am waiting for the HDNet airing, since there's no commercials and the picture and sound will be better quality.

      Thanks,

      Meg

    • majkia
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 29, 2007
        I'll be watching it on BBCA since despite having HD we do not get the HDNet
        channel

        ~~~~~~~~~
        Bloggy Bayou: http://www.majkia.livejournal.com

        Vampires, Werewolves and Mages Oh My! http://www.quillings.wikispaces.com
        ~~~~~~~~~

        Love wasn't put in your heart to stay. Love isn't love until you give it
        away.- Michael W. Smith

      • Stacci
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 29, 2007
          Torchwood will start this Saturday on "BBC America." BBC America is a
          cable/satellite station that let's us see select Brit shows. I watch
          it all the time. I love Brit TV. The crime drama stuff is a bit too
          much for me. I don't even watch it over here. My dad was a homicide
          detective, my brother was a narc., and my uncle was a Sgt... heck,
          even my mom worked in the records dept. at PD. I've had enough
          cop/crime stuff for one lifetime. :-p I stick to comedies, Sci Fi,
          and cartoons. :-D

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Megan M <meg_april@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I was wondering how American fans would be accessing Torchwood. I
          for one am waiting for the HDNet airing, since there's no commercials
          and the picture and sound will be better quality.

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Meg

        • Robert DiClemente
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 29, 2007
            If you're going to do that, you should just wait and purchase the DVD collection for the picture quality. Watch it on BBCAmerica and then wait for the DVD collection to come out if you want to purchase the series.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 29, 2007
              I thought it was starting on September 8th? Did I miss a memo?

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 29, 2007
                At 08:33 PM 8/29/2007, Robert DiClemente mentioned:
                >I thought it was starting on September 8th? Did I miss a memo?

                no - it premieres on Sept 8th -

                THIS Saturday and Sunday (Sept 1st & 2nd) they are showing a Doctor
                Who marathon WITH Torchwood tidbits and teasers during the marathon

                there is Torchwood stuff available on BBC America OnDemand ('Who is
                Captain Jack?', 'Welcome to Torchwood' and a Torchwood preview (which
                is the first 35 min of the the first episode 'Everything Changes') as of now

              • Meg
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30, 2007
                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Robert DiClemente <rmd515@...> wrote:

                  > If you're going to do that, you should just wait and purchase the
                  DVD collection for the picture quality. Watch it on BBCAmerica and
                  then wait for the DVD collection to come out if you want to purchase
                  the series.

                  Meh, I'm one for instant gratification. I'm happy to watch it on HDNet
                  (it starts on Sept. 17). Why not have higher quality picture and sound
                  now?
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 30, 2007
                    At 10:40 AM 8/30/2007, Meg mentioned:
                    >--- In
                    ><mailto:torchwood%40yahoogroups.com>torchwood@yahoogroups.com,
                    >Robert DiClemente <rmd515@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > If you're going to do that, you should just wait and purchase the
                    >DVD collection for the picture quality. Watch it on BBCAmerica and
                    >then wait for the DVD collection to come out if you want to purchase
                    >the series.
                    > >

                    >Meh, I'm one for instant gratification. I'm happy to watch it on HDNet
                    >(it starts on Sept. 17). Why not have higher quality picture and sound
                    >now?

                    unfortunately not all of us can afford to go HD at the moment

                    of course if you want instant gratification you could either torrent
                    the eps (HD versions available) or purchase the reg 2 dvds

                  • Lynn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 30, 2007
                      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Robert DiClemente <rmd515@...> wrote:

                      > If you're going to do that, you should just wait and purchase the
                      >DVD collection for the picture quality. Watch it on BBCAmerica and
                      >then wait for the DVD collection to come out if you want to purchase
                      >the series.

                      Uh... why do that? HDNet's picture, sound, and viewing experience (uncut for time or anything else) will be of a far higher quality than BBCA. Considering it's only going to be a week or so behind BBCA, I'd definitely wait and enjoy the uncut, higher-quality version on HDNet.

                      Purchasing the DVD's is s separate decision (standard def DVD's still don't look as good as HD), but if you have an HDTV, both channels, and have waited this long, I'd definitely wait for HDNet.

                      Lynn
                    • Stacci
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 30, 2007
                        No, I just forgot about the holiday. It will start on the 8th.

                        wrote:

                        > I thought it was starting on September 8th? Did I miss a memo?

                      • Stacci
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 30, 2007
                          I've never been one to be the first to purchase something. There are
                          always bugs and the item is rediculously priced. I know a guy that
                          got one of the first DVD's. He paid almost a thousand dollars. A year
                          later the same machin (but better quality) was half that price. Now
                          you can pick up a DVD player for practically nothing. I have a DVR
                          through Dish Network and under that device is a VCR/DVD player that I
                          purchased for about 50 bucks. Under that player, I've got my regular
                          old 32" color TV. In another five years perhaps my priorities will
                          change and I'll get HDTV and all the fancy stuff. Till then I'm a
                          happy camper.

                          Then again in five years we will probably be switching to something
                          totally new and different. There just is NO way to keep up with
                          technology. Buy a computer today and by this time next year it's
                          considered an OLDER model. Even if I were rich enough to purchase the
                          most recent stuff, I'd rather spend the money on something more long
                          term. I can wait.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
                            Good point about the quality. Though how much will it differ from digital cable quality? Tech question, yes, but still you have a valid point.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
                              From: Robert DiClemente <rmd515@...>

                              > Good point about the quality. Though how much will it differ from digital cable quality? Tech question, > yes, but still you have a valid point.

                              It's an enormous difference if you have an HDTV. I'm not quite sure what to compare it to, but it's more noticeable than the difference in quality between DVD and VHS.

                              Also, the show will be uncut.

                              -Lynn