Re: [torchwood] Re: Great New Brit Show

  • Will Vigar
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
      On 28/08/07, Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote:

      > I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
      > magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
      > both shows.

      MOst of the articles were written after viewing the first episode and
      assumed it would get better because it was Moffat. A lot of reviews
      from around parts 4+ have been very negative.

      > As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
      > might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
      > they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
      > all six episodes and was very happy with it.

      I watched 4.5 out of the 6, including the ending.

      > Dr. Who is a lot more fun though. Jekyll is more creepy... skin
      > crawling. James Nesbitt went back and forth easily. By episode five
      > and six the two characters melded and "they" really became creepy.
      > :-> I loved Nesbitt's evil smile. He looked like Mr. Sardonicus.

      Ha! Mr Sardonicus! Brilliant! ;-D

      > I know that the Brits are mad about Dr. Who from way back (this is
      > the first Dr. Who I've ever watched) so I wonder if that's why Brits
      > naturally lean toward Dr. Who and won't try something new.

      Total neophile, me.....I'll try anything!

      BBC has
      > really terrific shows that I wish we could see over here. I'm in
      > California so maybe that's why I like Jekyll. We are laid back and
      > open to new things.

      Uuuuh.....you seem to be stereotyping Brits and Californians here....I
      know some VERY up tight Californians and VERY laid back brits :-)

      > I didn't watch the last Dr. Who (Human Nature Part 1) because I know
      > if I watch it I'll go crazy waiting for the second part. I protected
      > the episode and will watch it after recording part 2. I can't
      > remember when it starts again for us, but I'm resisting the urge to
      > watch it.

      Ooooooh! You are in for SUCH a treat! Probably the best story of
      the season.....actually....make that definitely!

      > What do you guys think of the last two Dr. Who actors, in comparison
      > to the past Dr. Who's?

      I'm a fan whose first memory is of Patrick Troughton's Dr Who! For
      my money, Chris Ecclestone is the best Dr. Who bar none.....and I say
      that after being a fan for some 40 years!

      I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
      > the 70's (?) no one really liked.

      Well, there were two blodies. Peter Davison who, although liked, was
      in some very dodgy stories heralding the downfall brought about by
      other blondie, Colin Baker. I think there are probably about three
      decent stories in his entire run. Oncce he went and the writers
      started writing for Sylveste McCoy (rather than using scripts written
      with Baker in mind) it got a lot better, especially the 'Perivale
      trilogy'. Ironically, Colin Bakers best stories have been those
      written for the Big Finish Audios. He had the perfect costume for
      radio, you know....

      I know my dad like the guy with the
      > long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D

      Tom Baker. A god amongst men.....all hail the might Baker!!
    • Stacci
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
        Thanks for the info. Why do you believe Chris Ecclestone is the best
        Dr. Who so far? What causes him to stand out in the crowd? I was kind
        of disappointed when he left the show. I didn't know anything about
        Dr. Who changing physically when he "dies."

        Chris Ecclestone and David Tennent play Dr. Who as (kind of) a big
        kid going for a joy ride in dad's car. Have all the other Dr. Who's
        been this much fun/silly/energetic?

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Will Vigar" <immanion@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
        > > the 70's (?) no one really liked.
        >
        > Well, there were two blodies. Peter Davison who, although liked,
        was
        > in some very dodgy stories heralding the downfall brought about by
        > other blondie, Colin Baker. I think there are probably about three
        > decent stories in his entire run. Oncce he went and the writers
        > started writing for Sylveste McCoy (rather than using scripts
        written
        > with Baker in mind) it got a lot better, especially the 'Perivale
        > trilogy'. Ironically, Colin Bakers best stories have been those
        > written for the Big Finish Audios. He had the perfect costume for
        > radio, you know....
        >
        > I know my dad like the guy with the
        > > long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D
        >
        > Tom Baker. A god amongst men.....all hail the might Baker!!

      • Robert DiClemente
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
          Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) had fun playing the role. Unfortunately a lot of Patrick Troughton's episodes are lost, but those that are available are worth watching. One of my favorite 4th Doctor stories is The Talons of Weng Chiang, but if you want to see a humorous side to the 4th Doctor, check out City of Death.
          Peter Davison (5th Doctor) was the youngest actor to play the role, so there was more running around and energy with his Doctor.
          Each Doctor has his own personality, try and watch at least one story of each to get a feel for them. Hope this helps.

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
            On 28/08/2007, Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the info. Why do you believe Chris Ecclestone is the best
            > Dr. Who so far?

            He bought something genuinely different to the show and managed to
            portray depth of character previously unseen. There was a wonderful
            alien quality to him which he was able to show with just a look, but
            which other Doctors would have to explain or exposit or gurn. It was
            also the first time we'd seen the Doctor as 'damaged' (aftershock of
            the time war?) which often affected his judgement and I genuinely
            beleive that only someone of Ecclestones calibre could have pulled
            that off. This was a Doctor who wasn't always right and was, probably
            thanks to Rose, a little more human.

            I was kind
            > of disappointed when he left the show. I didn't know anything about
            > Dr. Who changing physically when he "dies."

            A brilliant tool, that...

            > Chris Ecclestone and David Tennent play Dr. Who as (kind of) a big
            > kid going for a joy ride in dad's car. Have all the other Dr. Who's
            > been this much fun/silly/energetic?

            Tom Baker certainly did. I think it's fair to say that all of the
            Doctors embraced life, but some did it in different ways. Much as I
            liked Davison, he did come across as a harrassed supply teacher.
            Colin BAker was too arrogant. Sylveste McCoy was on the point of
            becoming a great Doctor when the show got cancelled, full of mystery,
            full of secrets.

            Wiliam Hartnell wasn't at all energetic being a 'crotchety old man'
            but he usually had three companions to be energetic for him :-) ANd
            Pat Trougton was.....mercurial. :-)
          • Will Vigar
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
              On 29/08/2007, Robert DiClemente <rmd515@...> wrote:

              > Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) had fun playing
              > the role. Unfortunately a lot of Patrick Troughton's episodes are lost, but
              > those that are available are worth watching. One of my favorite 4th Doctor
              > stories is The Talons of Weng Chiang, but if you want to see a humorous side
              > to the 4th Doctor, check out City of Death.

              Absolutely. Two cracking stories. Two of the characters in
              WEng-Chiang almost got a spin-off series of Sherlock Holmes-y style
              aadventures....City of Death is a fantastic romp around Paris...

              > Peter Davison (5th Doctor) was the youngest actor to play the role, so
              > there was more running around and energy with his Doctor.
              > Each Doctor has his own personality, try and watch at least one story of
              > each to get a feel for them. Hope this helps.

              Which ones would you suggest?

              I'd (probably) go for :
              Hartnell: Dalek Invasion of Earth
              Troughton: Ice Warriors
              Pertwee: The Daemons.
              T.Baker: Talons of Weng Chiang
              P.Davison; Caves of Androzani
              C.Baker: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerm........probably the dalek
              story...Resurrection, was it?
              Sylveste McCoy: Curse of Fenric.
            • David
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                > I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
                > magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
                > both shows.
                >
                > As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
                > might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
                > they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
                > all six episodes and was very happy with it.

                Well, that's great that you enjoyed it, but it wasn't my cup of tea at
                all. I have never rated Nesbitt as a serious actor, I don't find him
                convincing at all. But that is a personal bias I admit, with a
                different actor I might of stuck with it further, maybe right until
                the end. And watching a whole of something you aren't enjoying on the
                off chance that it will improve doesn't really make sense to me. An
                evening out with friends seemed much the better option, especially as
                they disliked it too.

                Still I'm glad you got something out of it, just because I don't like
                something I'm not about to slag it off. They hit the mark for you and
                that is good enough for me.

                Best to all

                David
              • Robert DiClemente
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                  Your choice of stories for each Doctor are spot on. I personally like The Daemons from Pertwee's era.