Re: Great New Brit Show

  • Stacci
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 28 9:58 AM
      I don't ever remember even hearing about Cold Feet. I use to watch
      Midsommer Murders on Bravo all the time. I wonder if Netflix has it.
      Thanks for the tip for a new show to look for. When they show this
      season of Jekyll again, watch all six episodes and give it a chance.

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "beatlefanfcb" <beatlefanfcb@...>
      wrote:

      > I haven't watched Jekyll and the bits I have caught while looking for
      > other shows were not enticing but James Nesbitt was wonderful in Cold
      > Feet. It was a delightful series and it's a shame it didn't do
      better
      > in the US. I'm not sure why it didn't do well since it seemed like
      > every one I knew was watching it when it ran on Bravo. Some of the
      > series are now available in the US on DVD.
      >
      > Frank Caesar Branchini
      > Edgewater, MD USA

    • Will Vigar
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 28 10:05 AM
        On 28/08/07, Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote:

        > I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
        > magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
        > both shows.

        MOst of the articles were written after viewing the first episode and
        assumed it would get better because it was Moffat. A lot of reviews
        from around parts 4+ have been very negative.

        > As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
        > might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
        > they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
        > all six episodes and was very happy with it.

        I watched 4.5 out of the 6, including the ending.

        > Dr. Who is a lot more fun though. Jekyll is more creepy... skin
        > crawling. James Nesbitt went back and forth easily. By episode five
        > and six the two characters melded and "they" really became creepy.
        > :-> I loved Nesbitt's evil smile. He looked like Mr. Sardonicus.

        Ha! Mr Sardonicus! Brilliant! ;-D

        > I know that the Brits are mad about Dr. Who from way back (this is
        > the first Dr. Who I've ever watched) so I wonder if that's why Brits
        > naturally lean toward Dr. Who and won't try something new.

        Total neophile, me.....I'll try anything!

        BBC has
        > really terrific shows that I wish we could see over here. I'm in
        > California so maybe that's why I like Jekyll. We are laid back and
        > open to new things.

        Uuuuh.....you seem to be stereotyping Brits and Californians here....I
        know some VERY up tight Californians and VERY laid back brits :-)

        > I didn't watch the last Dr. Who (Human Nature Part 1) because I know
        > if I watch it I'll go crazy waiting for the second part. I protected
        > the episode and will watch it after recording part 2. I can't
        > remember when it starts again for us, but I'm resisting the urge to
        > watch it.

        Ooooooh! You are in for SUCH a treat! Probably the best story of
        the season.....actually....make that definitely!

        > What do you guys think of the last two Dr. Who actors, in comparison
        > to the past Dr. Who's?

        I'm a fan whose first memory is of Patrick Troughton's Dr Who! For
        my money, Chris Ecclestone is the best Dr. Who bar none.....and I say
        that after being a fan for some 40 years!

        I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
        > the 70's (?) no one really liked.

        Well, there were two blodies. Peter Davison who, although liked, was
        in some very dodgy stories heralding the downfall brought about by
        other blondie, Colin Baker. I think there are probably about three
        decent stories in his entire run. Oncce he went and the writers
        started writing for Sylveste McCoy (rather than using scripts written
        with Baker in mind) it got a lot better, especially the 'Perivale
        trilogy'. Ironically, Colin Bakers best stories have been those
        written for the Big Finish Audios. He had the perfect costume for
        radio, you know....

        I know my dad like the guy with the
        > long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D

        Tom Baker. A god amongst men.....all hail the might Baker!!
      • Stacci
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 28 3:53 PM
          Thanks for the info. Why do you believe Chris Ecclestone is the best
          Dr. Who so far? What causes him to stand out in the crowd? I was kind
          of disappointed when he left the show. I didn't know anything about
          Dr. Who changing physically when he "dies."

          Chris Ecclestone and David Tennent play Dr. Who as (kind of) a big
          kid going for a joy ride in dad's car. Have all the other Dr. Who's
          been this much fun/silly/energetic?

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Will Vigar" <immanion@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
          > > the 70's (?) no one really liked.
          >
          > Well, there were two blodies. Peter Davison who, although liked,
          was
          > in some very dodgy stories heralding the downfall brought about by
          > other blondie, Colin Baker. I think there are probably about three
          > decent stories in his entire run. Oncce he went and the writers
          > started writing for Sylveste McCoy (rather than using scripts
          written
          > with Baker in mind) it got a lot better, especially the 'Perivale
          > trilogy'. Ironically, Colin Bakers best stories have been those
          > written for the Big Finish Audios. He had the perfect costume for
          > radio, you know....
          >
          > I know my dad like the guy with the
          > > long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D
          >
          > Tom Baker. A god amongst men.....all hail the might Baker!!

        • Robert DiClemente
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 28 5:46 PM
            Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) had fun playing the role. Unfortunately a lot of Patrick Troughton's episodes are lost, but those that are available are worth watching. One of my favorite 4th Doctor stories is The Talons of Weng Chiang, but if you want to see a humorous side to the 4th Doctor, check out City of Death.
            Peter Davison (5th Doctor) was the youngest actor to play the role, so there was more running around and energy with his Doctor.
            Each Doctor has his own personality, try and watch at least one story of each to get a feel for them. Hope this helps.

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 28 11:19 PM
              On 28/08/2007, Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the info. Why do you believe Chris Ecclestone is the best
              > Dr. Who so far?

              He bought something genuinely different to the show and managed to
              portray depth of character previously unseen. There was a wonderful
              alien quality to him which he was able to show with just a look, but
              which other Doctors would have to explain or exposit or gurn. It was
              also the first time we'd seen the Doctor as 'damaged' (aftershock of
              the time war?) which often affected his judgement and I genuinely
              beleive that only someone of Ecclestones calibre could have pulled
              that off. This was a Doctor who wasn't always right and was, probably
              thanks to Rose, a little more human.

              I was kind
              > of disappointed when he left the show. I didn't know anything about
              > Dr. Who changing physically when he "dies."

              A brilliant tool, that...

              > Chris Ecclestone and David Tennent play Dr. Who as (kind of) a big
              > kid going for a joy ride in dad's car. Have all the other Dr. Who's
              > been this much fun/silly/energetic?

              Tom Baker certainly did. I think it's fair to say that all of the
              Doctors embraced life, but some did it in different ways. Much as I
              liked Davison, he did come across as a harrassed supply teacher.
              Colin BAker was too arrogant. Sylveste McCoy was on the point of
              becoming a great Doctor when the show got cancelled, full of mystery,
              full of secrets.

              Wiliam Hartnell wasn't at all energetic being a 'crotchety old man'
              but he usually had three companions to be energetic for him :-) ANd
              Pat Trougton was.....mercurial. :-)
            • Will Vigar
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 29 2:56 AM
                On 29/08/2007, Robert DiClemente <rmd515@...> wrote:

                > Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) had fun playing
                > the role. Unfortunately a lot of Patrick Troughton's episodes are lost, but
                > those that are available are worth watching. One of my favorite 4th Doctor
                > stories is The Talons of Weng Chiang, but if you want to see a humorous side
                > to the 4th Doctor, check out City of Death.

                Absolutely. Two cracking stories. Two of the characters in
                WEng-Chiang almost got a spin-off series of Sherlock Holmes-y style
                aadventures....City of Death is a fantastic romp around Paris...

                > Peter Davison (5th Doctor) was the youngest actor to play the role, so
                > there was more running around and energy with his Doctor.
                > Each Doctor has his own personality, try and watch at least one story of
                > each to get a feel for them. Hope this helps.

                Which ones would you suggest?

                I'd (probably) go for :
                Hartnell: Dalek Invasion of Earth
                Troughton: Ice Warriors
                Pertwee: The Daemons.
                T.Baker: Talons of Weng Chiang
                P.Davison; Caves of Androzani
                C.Baker: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerm........probably the dalek
                story...Resurrection, was it?
                Sylveste McCoy: Curse of Fenric.
              • David
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 29 3:36 AM
                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                  > I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
                  > magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
                  > both shows.
                  >
                  > As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
                  > might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
                  > they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
                  > all six episodes and was very happy with it.

                  Well, that's great that you enjoyed it, but it wasn't my cup of tea at
                  all. I have never rated Nesbitt as a serious actor, I don't find him
                  convincing at all. But that is a personal bias I admit, with a
                  different actor I might of stuck with it further, maybe right until
                  the end. And watching a whole of something you aren't enjoying on the
                  off chance that it will improve doesn't really make sense to me. An
                  evening out with friends seemed much the better option, especially as
                  they disliked it too.

                  Still I'm glad you got something out of it, just because I don't like
                  something I'm not about to slag it off. They hit the mark for you and
                  that is good enough for me.

                  Best to all

                  David
                • Robert DiClemente
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 29 5:30 PM
                    Your choice of stories for each Doctor are spot on. I personally like The Daemons from Pertwee's era.