Re: Great New Brit Show

  • beatlefanfcb
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
      I haven't watched Jekyll and the bits I have caught while looking for
      other shows were not enticing but James Nesbitt was wonderful in Cold
      Feet. It was a delightful series and it's a shame it didn't do better
      in the US. I'm not sure why it didn't do well since it seemed like
      every one I knew was watching it when it ran on Bravo. Some of the
      series are now available in the US on DVD.

      Frank Caesar Branchini
      Edgewater, MD USA
    • Stacci
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
        I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
        magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
        both shows.

        As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
        might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
        they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
        all six episodes and was very happy with it.

        Dr. Who is a lot more fun though. Jekyll is more creepy... skin
        crawling. James Nesbitt went back and forth easily. By episode five
        and six the two characters melded and "they" really became creepy.
        :-> I loved Nesbitt's evil smile. He looked like Mr. Sardonicus.

        I know that the Brits are mad about Dr. Who from way back (this is
        the first Dr. Who I've ever watched) so I wonder if that's why Brits
        naturally lean toward Dr. Who and won't try something new. BBC has
        really terrific shows that I wish we could see over here. I'm in
        California so maybe that's why I like Jekyll. We are laid back and
        open to new things.

        I didn't watch the last Dr. Who (Human Nature Part 1) because I know
        if I watch it I'll go crazy waiting for the second part. I protected
        the episode and will watch it after recording part 2. I can't
        remember when it starts again for us, but I'm resisting the urge to
        watch it.

        What do you guys think of the last two Dr. Who actors, in comparison
        to the past Dr. Who's? I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
        the 70's (?) no one really liked. I know my dad like the guy with the
        long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dashotton@...> wrote:

        > Rivalling Dr Who? Nah, not even close. This is the first time I've
        > seen anyone show any interest in it, Jekyll is not a topic of
        > conversation on this side of the Atlantic.
        >
        > We had looked forward to watching it as the BBC had trailed it to
        > death, but we only got through about three quarters of the first
        one,
        > and we all thought it was so bad we went down to the pub instead.
        > A good writer is no guarantee of a good show, and although popular
        > James Nesbit is not the most convincing of actors.
        >
        > Still, if you enjoyed it that's a good thing, maybe they just missed
        > the market over here, so they must be doing something right. I hope
        > you continue to enjoy the series.
        >
        > Best regards and happy viewing
        >
        > David
        >
        > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Has anyone watched the new (in the US) show on BBC America (BBC1
        in the
        > > UK) called, "Jekyll?" This is a REALLY terrific show; the best
        Jekyll
        > > and Hyde adaption I've ever seen. Get this; in the UK they are
        saying
        > > that, "Jekyll" is rivaling "Dr. Who." Considering how much the
        Brits
        > > LOVE Dr. Who! That's really saying something!
        > >
        > > I looked for a group to join, but there was none. Therefore I
        created
        > > one. If you would like to join it's called, "Jekyll_From_BBC1"
        and I'll
        > > have someone to talk with about this great show.
        > >
        > > Subscribe: Jekyll_From_BBC1-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • Stacci
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
          I don't ever remember even hearing about Cold Feet. I use to watch
          Midsommer Murders on Bravo all the time. I wonder if Netflix has it.
          Thanks for the tip for a new show to look for. When they show this
          season of Jekyll again, watch all six episodes and give it a chance.

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "beatlefanfcb" <beatlefanfcb@...>
          wrote:

          > I haven't watched Jekyll and the bits I have caught while looking for
          > other shows were not enticing but James Nesbitt was wonderful in Cold
          > Feet. It was a delightful series and it's a shame it didn't do
          better
          > in the US. I'm not sure why it didn't do well since it seemed like
          > every one I knew was watching it when it ran on Bravo. Some of the
          > series are now available in the US on DVD.
          >
          > Frank Caesar Branchini
          > Edgewater, MD USA

        • Will Vigar
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
            On 28/08/07, Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote:

            > I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
            > magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
            > both shows.

            MOst of the articles were written after viewing the first episode and
            assumed it would get better because it was Moffat. A lot of reviews
            from around parts 4+ have been very negative.

            > As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
            > might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
            > they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
            > all six episodes and was very happy with it.

            I watched 4.5 out of the 6, including the ending.

            > Dr. Who is a lot more fun though. Jekyll is more creepy... skin
            > crawling. James Nesbitt went back and forth easily. By episode five
            > and six the two characters melded and "they" really became creepy.
            > :-> I loved Nesbitt's evil smile. He looked like Mr. Sardonicus.

            Ha! Mr Sardonicus! Brilliant! ;-D

            > I know that the Brits are mad about Dr. Who from way back (this is
            > the first Dr. Who I've ever watched) so I wonder if that's why Brits
            > naturally lean toward Dr. Who and won't try something new.

            Total neophile, me.....I'll try anything!

            BBC has
            > really terrific shows that I wish we could see over here. I'm in
            > California so maybe that's why I like Jekyll. We are laid back and
            > open to new things.

            Uuuuh.....you seem to be stereotyping Brits and Californians here....I
            know some VERY up tight Californians and VERY laid back brits :-)

            > I didn't watch the last Dr. Who (Human Nature Part 1) because I know
            > if I watch it I'll go crazy waiting for the second part. I protected
            > the episode and will watch it after recording part 2. I can't
            > remember when it starts again for us, but I'm resisting the urge to
            > watch it.

            Ooooooh! You are in for SUCH a treat! Probably the best story of
            the season.....actually....make that definitely!

            > What do you guys think of the last two Dr. Who actors, in comparison
            > to the past Dr. Who's?

            I'm a fan whose first memory is of Patrick Troughton's Dr Who! For
            my money, Chris Ecclestone is the best Dr. Who bar none.....and I say
            that after being a fan for some 40 years!

            I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
            > the 70's (?) no one really liked.

            Well, there were two blodies. Peter Davison who, although liked, was
            in some very dodgy stories heralding the downfall brought about by
            other blondie, Colin Baker. I think there are probably about three
            decent stories in his entire run. Oncce he went and the writers
            started writing for Sylveste McCoy (rather than using scripts written
            with Baker in mind) it got a lot better, especially the 'Perivale
            trilogy'. Ironically, Colin Bakers best stories have been those
            written for the Big Finish Audios. He had the perfect costume for
            radio, you know....

            I know my dad like the guy with the
            > long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D

            Tom Baker. A god amongst men.....all hail the might Baker!!
          • Stacci
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
              Thanks for the info. Why do you believe Chris Ecclestone is the best
              Dr. Who so far? What causes him to stand out in the crowd? I was kind
              of disappointed when he left the show. I didn't know anything about
              Dr. Who changing physically when he "dies."

              Chris Ecclestone and David Tennent play Dr. Who as (kind of) a big
              kid going for a joy ride in dad's car. Have all the other Dr. Who's
              been this much fun/silly/energetic?

              --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Will Vigar" <immanion@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
              > > the 70's (?) no one really liked.
              >
              > Well, there were two blodies. Peter Davison who, although liked,
              was
              > in some very dodgy stories heralding the downfall brought about by
              > other blondie, Colin Baker. I think there are probably about three
              > decent stories in his entire run. Oncce he went and the writers
              > started writing for Sylveste McCoy (rather than using scripts
              written
              > with Baker in mind) it got a lot better, especially the 'Perivale
              > trilogy'. Ironically, Colin Bakers best stories have been those
              > written for the Big Finish Audios. He had the perfect costume for
              > radio, you know....
              >
              > I know my dad like the guy with the
              > > long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D
              >
              > Tom Baker. A god amongst men.....all hail the might Baker!!

            • Robert DiClemente
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) had fun playing the role. Unfortunately a lot of Patrick Troughton's episodes are lost, but those that are available are worth watching. One of my favorite 4th Doctor stories is The Talons of Weng Chiang, but if you want to see a humorous side to the 4th Doctor, check out City of Death.
                Peter Davison (5th Doctor) was the youngest actor to play the role, so there was more running around and energy with his Doctor.
                Each Doctor has his own personality, try and watch at least one story of each to get a feel for them. Hope this helps.

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                  On 28/08/2007, Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the info. Why do you believe Chris Ecclestone is the best
                  > Dr. Who so far?

                  He bought something genuinely different to the show and managed to
                  portray depth of character previously unseen. There was a wonderful
                  alien quality to him which he was able to show with just a look, but
                  which other Doctors would have to explain or exposit or gurn. It was
                  also the first time we'd seen the Doctor as 'damaged' (aftershock of
                  the time war?) which often affected his judgement and I genuinely
                  beleive that only someone of Ecclestones calibre could have pulled
                  that off. This was a Doctor who wasn't always right and was, probably
                  thanks to Rose, a little more human.

                  I was kind
                  > of disappointed when he left the show. I didn't know anything about
                  > Dr. Who changing physically when he "dies."

                  A brilliant tool, that...

                  > Chris Ecclestone and David Tennent play Dr. Who as (kind of) a big
                  > kid going for a joy ride in dad's car. Have all the other Dr. Who's
                  > been this much fun/silly/energetic?

                  Tom Baker certainly did. I think it's fair to say that all of the
                  Doctors embraced life, but some did it in different ways. Much as I
                  liked Davison, he did come across as a harrassed supply teacher.
                  Colin BAker was too arrogant. Sylveste McCoy was on the point of
                  becoming a great Doctor when the show got cancelled, full of mystery,
                  full of secrets.

                  Wiliam Hartnell wasn't at all energetic being a 'crotchety old man'
                  but he usually had three companions to be energetic for him :-) ANd
                  Pat Trougton was.....mercurial. :-)
                • Will Vigar
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                    On 29/08/2007, Robert DiClemente <rmd515@...> wrote:

                    > Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) had fun playing
                    > the role. Unfortunately a lot of Patrick Troughton's episodes are lost, but
                    > those that are available are worth watching. One of my favorite 4th Doctor
                    > stories is The Talons of Weng Chiang, but if you want to see a humorous side
                    > to the 4th Doctor, check out City of Death.

                    Absolutely. Two cracking stories. Two of the characters in
                    WEng-Chiang almost got a spin-off series of Sherlock Holmes-y style
                    aadventures....City of Death is a fantastic romp around Paris...

                    > Peter Davison (5th Doctor) was the youngest actor to play the role, so
                    > there was more running around and energy with his Doctor.
                    > Each Doctor has his own personality, try and watch at least one story of
                    > each to get a feel for them. Hope this helps.

                    Which ones would you suggest?

                    I'd (probably) go for :
                    Hartnell: Dalek Invasion of Earth
                    Troughton: Ice Warriors
                    Pertwee: The Daemons.
                    T.Baker: Talons of Weng Chiang
                    P.Davison; Caves of Androzani
                    C.Baker: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerm........probably the dalek
                    story...Resurrection, was it?
                    Sylveste McCoy: Curse of Fenric.
                  • David
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                      > I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
                      > magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
                      > both shows.
                      >
                      > As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
                      > might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
                      > they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
                      > all six episodes and was very happy with it.

                      Well, that's great that you enjoyed it, but it wasn't my cup of tea at
                      all. I have never rated Nesbitt as a serious actor, I don't find him
                      convincing at all. But that is a personal bias I admit, with a
                      different actor I might of stuck with it further, maybe right until
                      the end. And watching a whole of something you aren't enjoying on the
                      off chance that it will improve doesn't really make sense to me. An
                      evening out with friends seemed much the better option, especially as
                      they disliked it too.

                      Still I'm glad you got something out of it, just because I don't like
                      something I'm not about to slag it off. They hit the mark for you and
                      that is good enough for me.

                      Best to all

                      David
                    • Robert DiClemente
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                        Your choice of stories for each Doctor are spot on. I personally like The Daemons from Pertwee's era.