Re: [torchwood] Re: Great New Brit Show

  • Louis Sather
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
      I love the show too. I had the Region 2 DVD set when
      it was released a few weeks ago just on the strength
      of it being written by Steven Moffat and actors like
      James Nesbitt, Gina Bellman and Michelle Ryan (looking
      forward to her starring in "The Bionic Woman" this
      fall). Out of the six episodes I was probably only
      disappoiinted in episode 4. Everything else was
      excellent. Gotten a few of my friends hooked on it as well.

    • Stacci
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
        There are VERY few TV shows I think are good enough for me to buy,
        but this is one of them. I also like the Midsommer Murders and an
        American show called Farscape. While I may like other shows, these
        are the only one's I'd pay money for.

        As for Michelle Ryan, I'm looking forward to seeing how they are
        going to update the Bionic Woman. I use to watch that show and the
        Six Million Dollar Man when I was a kid. Remember the Bionic German
        Shepherd Jaime had? Oh and the sound the show would make when anyone
        of them were running or jumping... I hope they leave that sound
        effect out. :-D

        p.s. If you like the show, come on and join my group. I've already
        got a couple of members and the more is the merrier!
        Jekyll_From_BBC1

        Stacci

        ______________
        > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
        updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

      • David
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
          Rivalling Dr Who? Nah, not even close. This is the first time I've
          seen anyone show any interest in it, Jekyll is not a topic of
          conversation on this side of the Atlantic.

          We had looked forward to watching it as the BBC had trailed it to
          death, but we only got through about three quarters of the first one,
          and we all thought it was so bad we went down to the pub instead.
          A good writer is no guarantee of a good show, and although popular
          James Nesbit is not the most convincing of actors.

          Still, if you enjoyed it that's a good thing, maybe they just missed
          the market over here, so they must be doing something right. I hope
          you continue to enjoy the series.

          Best regards and happy viewing

          David

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone watched the new (in the US) show on BBC America (BBC1 in the
          > UK) called, "Jekyll?" This is a REALLY terrific show; the best Jekyll
          > and Hyde adaption I've ever seen. Get this; in the UK they are saying
          > that, "Jekyll" is rivaling "Dr. Who." Considering how much the Brits
          > LOVE Dr. Who! That's really saying something!
          >
          > I looked for a group to join, but there was none. Therefore I created
          > one. If you would like to join it's called, "Jekyll_From_BBC1" and I'll
          > have someone to talk with about this great show.
          >
          > Subscribe: Jekyll_From_BBC1-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • beatlefanfcb
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
            I haven't watched Jekyll and the bits I have caught while looking for
            other shows were not enticing but James Nesbitt was wonderful in Cold
            Feet. It was a delightful series and it's a shame it didn't do better
            in the US. I'm not sure why it didn't do well since it seemed like
            every one I knew was watching it when it ran on Bravo. Some of the
            series are now available in the US on DVD.

            Frank Caesar Branchini
            Edgewater, MD USA
          • Stacci
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
              I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
              magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
              both shows.

              As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
              might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
              they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
              all six episodes and was very happy with it.

              Dr. Who is a lot more fun though. Jekyll is more creepy... skin
              crawling. James Nesbitt went back and forth easily. By episode five
              and six the two characters melded and "they" really became creepy.
              :-> I loved Nesbitt's evil smile. He looked like Mr. Sardonicus.

              I know that the Brits are mad about Dr. Who from way back (this is
              the first Dr. Who I've ever watched) so I wonder if that's why Brits
              naturally lean toward Dr. Who and won't try something new. BBC has
              really terrific shows that I wish we could see over here. I'm in
              California so maybe that's why I like Jekyll. We are laid back and
              open to new things.

              I didn't watch the last Dr. Who (Human Nature Part 1) because I know
              if I watch it I'll go crazy waiting for the second part. I protected
              the episode and will watch it after recording part 2. I can't
              remember when it starts again for us, but I'm resisting the urge to
              watch it.

              What do you guys think of the last two Dr. Who actors, in comparison
              to the past Dr. Who's? I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
              the 70's (?) no one really liked. I know my dad like the guy with the
              long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                I don't ever remember even hearing about Cold Feet. I use to watch
                Midsommer Murders on Bravo all the time. I wonder if Netflix has it.
                Thanks for the tip for a new show to look for. When they show this
                season of Jekyll again, watch all six episodes and give it a chance.

                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "beatlefanfcb" <beatlefanfcb@...>
                wrote:

                > I haven't watched Jekyll and the bits I have caught while looking for
                > other shows were not enticing but James Nesbitt was wonderful in Cold
                > Feet. It was a delightful series and it's a shame it didn't do
                better
                > in the US. I'm not sure why it didn't do well since it seemed like
                > every one I knew was watching it when it ran on Bravo. Some of the
                > series are now available in the US on DVD.
                >
                > Frank Caesar Branchini
                > Edgewater, MD USA

              • Will Vigar
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                  On 28/08/07, Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                  > I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
                  > magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
                  > both shows.

                  MOst of the articles were written after viewing the first episode and
                  assumed it would get better because it was Moffat. A lot of reviews
                  from around parts 4+ have been very negative.

                  > As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
                  > might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
                  > they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
                  > all six episodes and was very happy with it.

                  I watched 4.5 out of the 6, including the ending.

                  > Dr. Who is a lot more fun though. Jekyll is more creepy... skin
                  > crawling. James Nesbitt went back and forth easily. By episode five
                  > and six the two characters melded and "they" really became creepy.
                  > :-> I loved Nesbitt's evil smile. He looked like Mr. Sardonicus.

                  Ha! Mr Sardonicus! Brilliant! ;-D

                  > I know that the Brits are mad about Dr. Who from way back (this is
                  > the first Dr. Who I've ever watched) so I wonder if that's why Brits
                  > naturally lean toward Dr. Who and won't try something new.

                  Total neophile, me.....I'll try anything!

                  BBC has
                  > really terrific shows that I wish we could see over here. I'm in
                  > California so maybe that's why I like Jekyll. We are laid back and
                  > open to new things.

                  Uuuuh.....you seem to be stereotyping Brits and Californians here....I
                  know some VERY up tight Californians and VERY laid back brits :-)

                  > I didn't watch the last Dr. Who (Human Nature Part 1) because I know
                  > if I watch it I'll go crazy waiting for the second part. I protected
                  > the episode and will watch it after recording part 2. I can't
                  > remember when it starts again for us, but I'm resisting the urge to
                  > watch it.

                  Ooooooh! You are in for SUCH a treat! Probably the best story of
                  the season.....actually....make that definitely!

                  > What do you guys think of the last two Dr. Who actors, in comparison
                  > to the past Dr. Who's?

                  I'm a fan whose first memory is of Patrick Troughton's Dr Who! For
                  my money, Chris Ecclestone is the best Dr. Who bar none.....and I say
                  that after being a fan for some 40 years!

                  I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
                  > the 70's (?) no one really liked.

                  Well, there were two blodies. Peter Davison who, although liked, was
                  in some very dodgy stories heralding the downfall brought about by
                  other blondie, Colin Baker. I think there are probably about three
                  decent stories in his entire run. Oncce he went and the writers
                  started writing for Sylveste McCoy (rather than using scripts written
                  with Baker in mind) it got a lot better, especially the 'Perivale
                  trilogy'. Ironically, Colin Bakers best stories have been those
                  written for the Big Finish Audios. He had the perfect costume for
                  radio, you know....

                  I know my dad like the guy with the
                  > long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D

                  Tom Baker. A god amongst men.....all hail the might Baker!!
                • Stacci
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                    Thanks for the info. Why do you believe Chris Ecclestone is the best
                    Dr. Who so far? What causes him to stand out in the crowd? I was kind
                    of disappointed when he left the show. I didn't know anything about
                    Dr. Who changing physically when he "dies."

                    Chris Ecclestone and David Tennent play Dr. Who as (kind of) a big
                    kid going for a joy ride in dad's car. Have all the other Dr. Who's
                    been this much fun/silly/energetic?

                    --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Will Vigar" <immanion@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    >
                    > I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
                    > > the 70's (?) no one really liked.
                    >
                    > Well, there were two blodies. Peter Davison who, although liked,
                    was
                    > in some very dodgy stories heralding the downfall brought about by
                    > other blondie, Colin Baker. I think there are probably about three
                    > decent stories in his entire run. Oncce he went and the writers
                    > started writing for Sylveste McCoy (rather than using scripts
                    written
                    > with Baker in mind) it got a lot better, especially the 'Perivale
                    > trilogy'. Ironically, Colin Bakers best stories have been those
                    > written for the Big Finish Audios. He had the perfect costume for
                    > radio, you know....
                    >
                    > I know my dad like the guy with the
                    > > long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D
                    >
                    > Tom Baker. A god amongst men.....all hail the might Baker!!

                  • Robert DiClemente
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                      Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) had fun playing the role. Unfortunately a lot of Patrick Troughton's episodes are lost, but those that are available are worth watching. One of my favorite 4th Doctor stories is The Talons of Weng Chiang, but if you want to see a humorous side to the 4th Doctor, check out City of Death.
                      Peter Davison (5th Doctor) was the youngest actor to play the role, so there was more running around and energy with his Doctor.
                      Each Doctor has his own personality, try and watch at least one story of each to get a feel for them. Hope this helps.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                        On 28/08/2007, Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for the info. Why do you believe Chris Ecclestone is the best
                        > Dr. Who so far?

                        He bought something genuinely different to the show and managed to
                        portray depth of character previously unseen. There was a wonderful
                        alien quality to him which he was able to show with just a look, but
                        which other Doctors would have to explain or exposit or gurn. It was
                        also the first time we'd seen the Doctor as 'damaged' (aftershock of
                        the time war?) which often affected his judgement and I genuinely
                        beleive that only someone of Ecclestones calibre could have pulled
                        that off. This was a Doctor who wasn't always right and was, probably
                        thanks to Rose, a little more human.

                        I was kind
                        > of disappointed when he left the show. I didn't know anything about
                        > Dr. Who changing physically when he "dies."

                        A brilliant tool, that...

                        > Chris Ecclestone and David Tennent play Dr. Who as (kind of) a big
                        > kid going for a joy ride in dad's car. Have all the other Dr. Who's
                        > been this much fun/silly/energetic?

                        Tom Baker certainly did. I think it's fair to say that all of the
                        Doctors embraced life, but some did it in different ways. Much as I
                        liked Davison, he did come across as a harrassed supply teacher.
                        Colin BAker was too arrogant. Sylveste McCoy was on the point of
                        becoming a great Doctor when the show got cancelled, full of mystery,
                        full of secrets.

                        Wiliam Hartnell wasn't at all energetic being a 'crotchety old man'
                        but he usually had three companions to be energetic for him :-) ANd
                        Pat Trougton was.....mercurial. :-)
                      • Will Vigar
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                          On 29/08/2007, Robert DiClemente <rmd515@...> wrote:

                          > Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) had fun playing
                          > the role. Unfortunately a lot of Patrick Troughton's episodes are lost, but
                          > those that are available are worth watching. One of my favorite 4th Doctor
                          > stories is The Talons of Weng Chiang, but if you want to see a humorous side
                          > to the 4th Doctor, check out City of Death.

                          Absolutely. Two cracking stories. Two of the characters in
                          WEng-Chiang almost got a spin-off series of Sherlock Holmes-y style
                          aadventures....City of Death is a fantastic romp around Paris...

                          > Peter Davison (5th Doctor) was the youngest actor to play the role, so
                          > there was more running around and energy with his Doctor.
                          > Each Doctor has his own personality, try and watch at least one story of
                          > each to get a feel for them. Hope this helps.

                          Which ones would you suggest?

                          I'd (probably) go for :
                          Hartnell: Dalek Invasion of Earth
                          Troughton: Ice Warriors
                          Pertwee: The Daemons.
                          T.Baker: Talons of Weng Chiang
                          P.Davison; Caves of Androzani
                          C.Baker: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerm........probably the dalek
                          story...Resurrection, was it?
                          Sylveste McCoy: Curse of Fenric.
                        • David
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                            > I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
                            > magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
                            > both shows.
                            >
                            > As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
                            > might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
                            > they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
                            > all six episodes and was very happy with it.

                            Well, that's great that you enjoyed it, but it wasn't my cup of tea at
                            all. I have never rated Nesbitt as a serious actor, I don't find him
                            convincing at all. But that is a personal bias I admit, with a
                            different actor I might of stuck with it further, maybe right until
                            the end. And watching a whole of something you aren't enjoying on the
                            off chance that it will improve doesn't really make sense to me. An
                            evening out with friends seemed much the better option, especially as
                            they disliked it too.

                            Still I'm glad you got something out of it, just because I don't like
                            something I'm not about to slag it off. They hit the mark for you and
                            that is good enough for me.

                            Best to all

                            David
                          • Robert DiClemente
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                              Your choice of stories for each Doctor are spot on. I personally like The Daemons from Pertwee's era.