RE: [torchwood] The first three episodes

  • Noctaire
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
      Episode one -- well, kinda ok, kinda boring. I mean, it was a first episode
      and you really don't get all that much out the first epsiode of a new series
      (motly exposition, really).

      Episode two -- Decent. FWIW, I have to agree on the
      overdoing-it-with-the-sex bit. I realize that episode 2 was making a
      statement about the level of sex in society and all but after a while, it
      takes away from the show and it's just over the top.

      Episode three -- Much better. Writing has improved, character development
      is well on its way, better plot....

      Episode four -- Yeah, I know this is titled "the first three" but I just
      watched last night's episode and I gotta say, it was REALLY good. I really
      like how they tie into the end of DW-S2 but in a way thatdoesn't require one
      to be a DW fan.

      This is an important thing about Torchwood. In order for it to stand as its
      own series, it has to be able to carry its own plotlines. If it can't carry
      its own, then it will never survive. So far, you don't have to have watched
      DW to enjoy this show -- and that's HUGE. There's a lot of "mystery" behind
      things but they explain just enough for the viewer to understand the gist of
      what's going on, even without the full back-story (such as in the case of
      the cybermen story line).

      I'm looking forward to the fifth episode next week. :)
    • giant.squid@virgin.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006

        You aren't offending me.  I have much less of a problem with the sex than seemingly most people do.

        ***I should point out that the sex doesn't bother me.....it's just the way it was sort of....and I use the term with tongue firmly in cheek....rammed down our throats ;-) Like I said, the 'sex spray' in ep 1 did a much more elegant of saying 'we're adult'.

        Not sure why, but I am just not worried about it. I think we get just as much of that, if not more in some cases, here on American TV. I just think Doctor Who has grown with the times and become more believeable in some ways because of the more mature content. And Torchwood, well, we knew all along it was going to be racy and adult, so I went into it expecting it,

        ***Oh, me too, but I ws disappointed with the...um....obviousness of it.

        having watched some much racier stuff on BBC America. Out of curiousity, what part of the US do you live in?

        ***I don't think it was directed at me, but I'm in the UK.....

        I live in the crotchless panty of the Bible Belt in South Carolina. Part of my attitude about sex may be becasue of a knee jerk reaction against the uptight conservatism already here. I am a very liberal person. Like you, I am also bi

        ***ah, then it deffo wasn't aimed at me :-) But for what it's worth, I'm gay....

        Dr Who is the new Judy Garland I tells ya! ;-D
      • bill moore
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
          Ever since Torchwood began something has been bothering me. The new Doctor Who was quick, pacy and stripped down. It seemed to plough through a script, attack it if you like, at a frenetic rate of knots. I put this down to the writing of Russell T Davies and, to be honest, expected much the same from Torchwood.

          Needless to say it didn't happen.

          Torchwood seems slow and laborious by comparision to Doctor Who and I can only put it down to one thing - budget!

          There hasn't been the overload of effects in Torchwood that there was in Doctor Who. The much maligned episode 2 just had some powder and some pink gas effects, if memory serves and episode 3 had even less.

          Okay, so episode 4 was a bit livelier but I absolutely hated it. This is a sci fi show not a Slasher Movie. The character of Ianto Jones who I had always considered the stong silent, type, turned out to be a blubbering ninny the episode didn't resolve properly. How could he NOT have had his memory wiped? How could he continue to work for Torchwood when he's obviously going to winge and sulk and generally be untrustworthy for the rest of his natural life?

          Patrick Power <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:
          You aren't offending me.  I have much less of a problem with the sex than seemingly most people do. Not sure why, but I am just not worried about it. I think we get just as much of that, if not more in some cases, here on American TV. I just think Doctor Who has grown with the times and become more believeable in some ways because of the more mature content. And Torchwood, well, we knew all along it was going to be racy and adult, so I went into it expecting it, having watched some much racier stuff on BBC America. Out of curiousity, what part of the US do you live in?

          I live in the crotchless panty of the Bible Belt in South Carolina. Part of my attitude about sex may be becasue of a knee jerk reaction against the uptight conservatism already here. I am a very liberal person. Like you, I am also bi and I have played in the B&D lifestyle a little bit. Could your ore conservative nature be from because you are in an area that is less conservative and you don't react as strongly to it as I do?

          virgo_teddybear <daddykarl@sbcglobal .net> wrote:
          I am going to post a 'partial' review of the episodes I guess you
          could say. Did anyone else notice a certain genre name at the end
          of the credits for Ghost Machine? I was actually looking to see
          about another actor that played a different character when I saw
          that one.

          And I guess my question for episode three is "what the hell did Rose
          do to Jack?" He doesnt sleep!?! Not to mention the immortality
          thing. He was a little closer to his old self in this episode. But
          still kinda 'creepy' I kinda got the feeling that Torchwood is a
          Greek Tragedy in some way.

          Episode two, well I was immediately reminded of an episode of the
          outer limits that had Allysa Milano get infected by an alien spore
          that made her have sex that had almost the same effect. Only for her
          when she had sex with her boyfriend it was what the alien was
          seeking, LOVE. I remember that episode because The characters names
          were the same as mine and a girl I was warm for at the time. Pity it
          didnt turn out the same as the outer limits though.

          I only watched the first episode once, but the one who had the glove
          seems like a wasted character. Or maybe it was the passion that she
          put into that scene where she turned and shot jack in the head. I
          dont think she should have been sacrificed so soon.

          I am going to go back and watch the three episodes again tomorrow.

          And without making a big deal about it, I do not care for the overt
          sexual connotations in Doctor Who or Torchwood, I would love to show
          some episodes to friends but those episodes have the content that I
          dont really want to share with people. True, things are a bit
          more 'liberal' than they were when I was younger, but I always
          viewed the Doctor as a hero that was 'pure' in a sense. He battled
          evil in a fantasy setting, but it could be translated to our point
          of view. I was exposed to Tom Bakers Doctor when I first saw it on
          my local PBS station and didnt see the black and white shows till
          MUCH later. And I love him in Monarch of the Glen, currently running
          here.

          And as a disclaimer, I dont want anyone to think that I am a prude,
          but I will say this but not discuss it. I am bisexual and a member
          of the S/m Community.

          With that being said, I laughed my backside off when I
          saw 'Boomtown' for the first time. However, many members of the S/m
          lifestyle, at least here in America are somewhat conservative. We
          arent prudes, we are just a little more private about things.
          Alhtough maybe it is just my age showing finally.

          I am proud as a Doctor Who fan to be part of something that
          the "spoonfed masses" just dont understand.

          I apologize if anyone is offended, and if anyone is I will leave the
          group.

          And I have only ever seen one episode of Captain Scarlet although I
          have read the episode guide and was fascinated by it.

          Patrick Power
          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/BEM_ SOCIETY/

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/SCIFISOULM ATES/

        • Keith A. Glass
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
            bill moore wrote

            >There hasn't been the overload of effects in Torchwood that there was in >Doctor Who. The much maligned episode 2 just had some powder and some >pink gas effects, if memory serves and episode 3 had even less.

            You OBVIOUSLY don't remember the truly cheesey effects of the earlier Doctor Who series. . . (grin)

            >Okay, so episode 4 was a bit livelier but I absolutely hated it. This is a sci fi >show not a Slasher Movie. The character of Ianto Jones who I had always >considered the stong silent, type, turned out to be a blubbering ninny the >episode didn't resolve properly. How could he NOT have had his memory >wiped? How could he continue to work for Torchwood when he's obviously >going to winge and sulk and generally be untrustworthy for the rest of his natural >life?

            We don't know if he'll be mindwiped. . .   in fact, Torchwood just got the living crap kicked out of most of it in the Cyberman-Dalek War.  Could it be (speculation here) that, for the most part, our team in Cardiff is pretty much all that's left, operationally, of Torchwood for the moment ????

          • Colin
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
              Personally I thought the sex bits were a trifle overdone, but I have
              seen that Outer Limits episode with Alyssa Milano and have to agree
              I'd rather the end of the Torchwood episode emulated that.
              I've got no problem with what you said, discussing the episodes is
              one of the virtues of this group and I'm hoping for more insights
              that might divulge what they've got planned especially speculation
              as thats half the fun!
              Didn't notice the bit about Jack not sleeping and have to agree
              about the bit about what did Rose do to Jack.

              SPOILER: Don't read the below unless you've seen the episode I'm
              referring to...

              Interesting little titbit regarding Captain Scarlet... in the
              original series the Mysterons were almost impossible to take down
              until they found a burst of electricity did the job and I think it
              was speculated that this would also be able to kill the hero of the
              series, however in torchwood it seems this isn't the case and thats
              as far as I'm going for now!
            • Noctaire
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006

                .

                .

                .

                .

                > Okay, so episode 4 was a bit livelier but I absolutely hated it.
                > This is a sci fi show not a Slasher Movie. The character of Ianto
                > Jones who I had always considered the stong silent, type, turned
                > out to be a blubbering ninny the episode didn't resolve properly.
                > How could he NOT have had his memory wiped? How could he continue
                > to work for Torchwood when he's obviously going to winge and sulk
                > and generally be untrustworthy for the rest of his natural life?

                Really? I really liked episode 4.

                We've already seen that Cap'n Jack's Torchwood unit is forgiving of personal
                blunders (at least to a point) and there's a 'part of the team' perspective
                that brings loyalty to all new heights. Bearing in mind that Torchwood's
                ranks have been decimated by the battle with the Cybermen/Daleks, that also
                ups the value of each member of the team. He screwed up but his mistake was
                contained and he still has something to contribute. <Shrug>

                The thing that I found not plausible was that Harkness would not know
                anything about the contents of this room. That doesn't fit the character
                they've created for him in this show; he's too much of a control freak/thumb
                on the button kinda guy to have not known about something as substantial as
                this.

                As for Ianto's character; well, the writers are REALLY focusing on character
                development in both DW and now Torchwood. I'm thinking they wanted to bring
                the "human factor" into the show. We already see it with Gwen and her
                boyfriend, we saw it with Owen's nearly uncontrollable rage in episode 3,
                and they've even shown a few cracks in the kinda-humanish Captain Jack as
                well. It helps the audience identify with the character more closely, blah,
                blah, blah.