Re: [torchwood] Great New Brit Show

  • Will Vigar
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
      Have to be honest and say that I thought Jekyll was a rare misstep for Moffat.

      Hackneyed and badly written wih a less than convincing lead actor...

      And a trully dull finale.

      Yawn, yawn, yawn.......

    • Orchid
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
        I have to disagree, at least partly... I thought that the leading
        performance saved the show, especially his bad side. The wife was pretty
        good too.

        It's a shame, it was a great idea, but I have to concede, a bit badly
        written in parts and those creepy kids! How predictable.

        Pat

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
          Really? Wow, I was VERY impressed with James Nesbitt. I'd never heard
          of him before. I absolutely loved his performance, especially his
          transformation to Mr. Hyde. Gina Bellman (Claire) was a hoot! I loved
          how she stood up to Mr. Hyde. My favorite scene was when he was
          chained up (by her) he's all nasty treats, but when she gets up and
          walks toward him he backed up fast. I also liked when Claire smacked
          him on the head reminding him that his wife was the one person who
          WOULD hit him. I sure hope Mr. Hyde comes back next season. I loved
          his smile. The ending was great too. Don't mess with mama! I love the
          female power in this show. James Nesbitt may be the star, but the
          women around him are electrifying!

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Will Vigar" <immanion@...> wrote:

          > Have to be honest and say that I thought Jekyll was a rare misstep
          for Moffat.

          > Hackneyed and badly written wih a less than convincing lead actor...
          >
          > And a trully dull finale.
          >
          > Yawn, yawn, yawn.......

        • Stacci
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
            Seriously, do you expect Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (who is married to a
            clone) NOT to have creepy children? :-D

            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Orchid" <ironorchid@...> wrote:

            > I have to disagree, at least partly... I thought that the leading
            > performance saved the show, especially his bad side. The wife was
            pretty
            > good too.
            >
            > It's a shame, it was a great idea, but I have to concede, a bit
            badly
            > written in parts and those creepy kids! How predictable.
            >
            > Pat

          • Louis Sather
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
              I love the show too. I had the Region 2 DVD set when
              it was released a few weeks ago just on the strength
              of it being written by Steven Moffat and actors like
              James Nesbitt, Gina Bellman and Michelle Ryan (looking
              forward to her starring in "The Bionic Woman" this
              fall). Out of the six episodes I was probably only
              disappoiinted in episode 4. Everything else was
              excellent. Gotten a few of my friends hooked on it as well.

            • Stacci
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
                There are VERY few TV shows I think are good enough for me to buy,
                but this is one of them. I also like the Midsommer Murders and an
                American show called Farscape. While I may like other shows, these
                are the only one's I'd pay money for.

                As for Michelle Ryan, I'm looking forward to seeing how they are
                going to update the Bionic Woman. I use to watch that show and the
                Six Million Dollar Man when I was a kid. Remember the Bionic German
                Shepherd Jaime had? Oh and the sound the show would make when anyone
                of them were running or jumping... I hope they leave that sound
                effect out. :-D

                p.s. If you like the show, come on and join my group. I've already
                got a couple of members and the more is the merrier!
                Jekyll_From_BBC1

                Stacci

                ______________
                > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
                updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

              • David
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                  Rivalling Dr Who? Nah, not even close. This is the first time I've
                  seen anyone show any interest in it, Jekyll is not a topic of
                  conversation on this side of the Atlantic.

                  We had looked forward to watching it as the BBC had trailed it to
                  death, but we only got through about three quarters of the first one,
                  and we all thought it was so bad we went down to the pub instead.
                  A good writer is no guarantee of a good show, and although popular
                  James Nesbit is not the most convincing of actors.

                  Still, if you enjoyed it that's a good thing, maybe they just missed
                  the market over here, so they must be doing something right. I hope
                  you continue to enjoy the series.

                  Best regards and happy viewing

                  David

                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                  > Has anyone watched the new (in the US) show on BBC America (BBC1 in the
                  > UK) called, "Jekyll?" This is a REALLY terrific show; the best Jekyll
                  > and Hyde adaption I've ever seen. Get this; in the UK they are saying
                  > that, "Jekyll" is rivaling "Dr. Who." Considering how much the Brits
                  > LOVE Dr. Who! That's really saying something!
                  >
                  > I looked for a group to join, but there was none. Therefore I created
                  > one. If you would like to join it's called, "Jekyll_From_BBC1" and I'll
                  > have someone to talk with about this great show.
                  >
                  > Subscribe: Jekyll_From_BBC1-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                • beatlefanfcb
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                    I haven't watched Jekyll and the bits I have caught while looking for
                    other shows were not enticing but James Nesbitt was wonderful in Cold
                    Feet. It was a delightful series and it's a shame it didn't do better
                    in the US. I'm not sure why it didn't do well since it seemed like
                    every one I knew was watching it when it ran on Bravo. Some of the
                    series are now available in the US on DVD.

                    Frank Caesar Branchini
                    Edgewater, MD USA
                  • Stacci
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                      I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
                      magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
                      both shows.

                      As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
                      might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
                      they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
                      all six episodes and was very happy with it.

                      Dr. Who is a lot more fun though. Jekyll is more creepy... skin
                      crawling. James Nesbitt went back and forth easily. By episode five
                      and six the two characters melded and "they" really became creepy.
                      :-> I loved Nesbitt's evil smile. He looked like Mr. Sardonicus.

                      I know that the Brits are mad about Dr. Who from way back (this is
                      the first Dr. Who I've ever watched) so I wonder if that's why Brits
                      naturally lean toward Dr. Who and won't try something new. BBC has
                      really terrific shows that I wish we could see over here. I'm in
                      California so maybe that's why I like Jekyll. We are laid back and
                      open to new things.

                      I didn't watch the last Dr. Who (Human Nature Part 1) because I know
                      if I watch it I'll go crazy waiting for the second part. I protected
                      the episode and will watch it after recording part 2. I can't
                      remember when it starts again for us, but I'm resisting the urge to
                      watch it.

                      What do you guys think of the last two Dr. Who actors, in comparison
                      to the past Dr. Who's? I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
                      the 70's (?) no one really liked. I know my dad like the guy with the
                      long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                        I don't ever remember even hearing about Cold Feet. I use to watch
                        Midsommer Murders on Bravo all the time. I wonder if Netflix has it.
                        Thanks for the tip for a new show to look for. When they show this
                        season of Jekyll again, watch all six episodes and give it a chance.

                        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "beatlefanfcb" <beatlefanfcb@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I haven't watched Jekyll and the bits I have caught while looking for
                        > other shows were not enticing but James Nesbitt was wonderful in Cold
                        > Feet. It was a delightful series and it's a shame it didn't do
                        better
                        > in the US. I'm not sure why it didn't do well since it seemed like
                        > every one I knew was watching it when it ran on Bravo. Some of the
                        > series are now available in the US on DVD.
                        >
                        > Frank Caesar Branchini
                        > Edgewater, MD USA

                      • Will Vigar
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                          On 28/08/07, Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                          > I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
                          > magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
                          > both shows.

                          MOst of the articles were written after viewing the first episode and
                          assumed it would get better because it was Moffat. A lot of reviews
                          from around parts 4+ have been very negative.

                          > As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
                          > might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
                          > they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
                          > all six episodes and was very happy with it.

                          I watched 4.5 out of the 6, including the ending.

                          > Dr. Who is a lot more fun though. Jekyll is more creepy... skin
                          > crawling. James Nesbitt went back and forth easily. By episode five
                          > and six the two characters melded and "they" really became creepy.
                          > :-> I loved Nesbitt's evil smile. He looked like Mr. Sardonicus.

                          Ha! Mr Sardonicus! Brilliant! ;-D

                          > I know that the Brits are mad about Dr. Who from way back (this is
                          > the first Dr. Who I've ever watched) so I wonder if that's why Brits
                          > naturally lean toward Dr. Who and won't try something new.

                          Total neophile, me.....I'll try anything!

                          BBC has
                          > really terrific shows that I wish we could see over here. I'm in
                          > California so maybe that's why I like Jekyll. We are laid back and
                          > open to new things.

                          Uuuuh.....you seem to be stereotyping Brits and Californians here....I
                          know some VERY up tight Californians and VERY laid back brits :-)

                          > I didn't watch the last Dr. Who (Human Nature Part 1) because I know
                          > if I watch it I'll go crazy waiting for the second part. I protected
                          > the episode and will watch it after recording part 2. I can't
                          > remember when it starts again for us, but I'm resisting the urge to
                          > watch it.

                          Ooooooh! You are in for SUCH a treat! Probably the best story of
                          the season.....actually....make that definitely!

                          > What do you guys think of the last two Dr. Who actors, in comparison
                          > to the past Dr. Who's?

                          I'm a fan whose first memory is of Patrick Troughton's Dr Who! For
                          my money, Chris Ecclestone is the best Dr. Who bar none.....and I say
                          that after being a fan for some 40 years!

                          I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
                          > the 70's (?) no one really liked.

                          Well, there were two blodies. Peter Davison who, although liked, was
                          in some very dodgy stories heralding the downfall brought about by
                          other blondie, Colin Baker. I think there are probably about three
                          decent stories in his entire run. Oncce he went and the writers
                          started writing for Sylveste McCoy (rather than using scripts written
                          with Baker in mind) it got a lot better, especially the 'Perivale
                          trilogy'. Ironically, Colin Bakers best stories have been those
                          written for the Big Finish Audios. He had the perfect costume for
                          radio, you know....

                          I know my dad like the guy with the
                          > long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D

                          Tom Baker. A god amongst men.....all hail the might Baker!!
                        • Stacci
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                            Thanks for the info. Why do you believe Chris Ecclestone is the best
                            Dr. Who so far? What causes him to stand out in the crowd? I was kind
                            of disappointed when he left the show. I didn't know anything about
                            Dr. Who changing physically when he "dies."

                            Chris Ecclestone and David Tennent play Dr. Who as (kind of) a big
                            kid going for a joy ride in dad's car. Have all the other Dr. Who's
                            been this much fun/silly/energetic?

                          • Robert DiClemente
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                              Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) had fun playing the role. Unfortunately a lot of Patrick Troughton's episodes are lost, but those that are available are worth watching. One of my favorite 4th Doctor stories is The Talons of Weng Chiang, but if you want to see a humorous side to the 4th Doctor, check out City of Death.
                              Peter Davison (5th Doctor) was the youngest actor to play the role, so there was more running around and energy with his Doctor.
                              Each Doctor has his own personality, try and watch at least one story of each to get a feel for them. Hope this helps.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                                On 28/08/2007, Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks for the info. Why do you believe Chris Ecclestone is the best
                                > Dr. Who so far?

                                He bought something genuinely different to the show and managed to
                                portray depth of character previously unseen. There was a wonderful
                                alien quality to him which he was able to show with just a look, but
                                which other Doctors would have to explain or exposit or gurn. It was
                                also the first time we'd seen the Doctor as 'damaged' (aftershock of
                                the time war?) which often affected his judgement and I genuinely
                                beleive that only someone of Ecclestones calibre could have pulled
                                that off. This was a Doctor who wasn't always right and was, probably
                                thanks to Rose, a little more human.

                                I was kind
                                > of disappointed when he left the show. I didn't know anything about
                                > Dr. Who changing physically when he "dies."

                                A brilliant tool, that...

                                > Chris Ecclestone and David Tennent play Dr. Who as (kind of) a big
                                > kid going for a joy ride in dad's car. Have all the other Dr. Who's
                                > been this much fun/silly/energetic?

                                Tom Baker certainly did. I think it's fair to say that all of the
                                Doctors embraced life, but some did it in different ways. Much as I
                                liked Davison, he did come across as a harrassed supply teacher.
                                Colin BAker was too arrogant. Sylveste McCoy was on the point of
                                becoming a great Doctor when the show got cancelled, full of mystery,
                                full of secrets.

                                Wiliam Hartnell wasn't at all energetic being a 'crotchety old man'
                                but he usually had three companions to be energetic for him :-) ANd
                                Pat Trougton was.....mercurial. :-)
                              • Will Vigar
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                                  On 29/08/2007, Robert DiClemente <rmd515@...> wrote:

                                  > Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) had fun playing
                                  > the role. Unfortunately a lot of Patrick Troughton's episodes are lost, but
                                  > those that are available are worth watching. One of my favorite 4th Doctor
                                  > stories is The Talons of Weng Chiang, but if you want to see a humorous side
                                  > to the 4th Doctor, check out City of Death.

                                  Absolutely. Two cracking stories. Two of the characters in
                                  WEng-Chiang almost got a spin-off series of Sherlock Holmes-y style
                                  aadventures....City of Death is a fantastic romp around Paris...

                                  > Peter Davison (5th Doctor) was the youngest actor to play the role, so
                                  > there was more running around and energy with his Doctor.
                                  > Each Doctor has his own personality, try and watch at least one story of
                                  > each to get a feel for them. Hope this helps.

                                  Which ones would you suggest?

                                  I'd (probably) go for :
                                  Hartnell: Dalek Invasion of Earth
                                  Troughton: Ice Warriors
                                  Pertwee: The Daemons.
                                  T.Baker: Talons of Weng Chiang
                                  P.Davison; Caves of Androzani
                                  C.Baker: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerm........probably the dalek
                                  story...Resurrection, was it?
                                  Sylveste McCoy: Curse of Fenric.
                                • David
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                                    --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                                    > I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
                                    > magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
                                    > both shows.
                                    >
                                    > As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
                                    > might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
                                    > they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
                                    > all six episodes and was very happy with it.

                                    Well, that's great that you enjoyed it, but it wasn't my cup of tea at
                                    all. I have never rated Nesbitt as a serious actor, I don't find him
                                    convincing at all. But that is a personal bias I admit, with a
                                    different actor I might of stuck with it further, maybe right until
                                    the end. And watching a whole of something you aren't enjoying on the
                                    off chance that it will improve doesn't really make sense to me. An
                                    evening out with friends seemed much the better option, especially as
                                    they disliked it too.

                                    Still I'm glad you got something out of it, just because I don't like
                                    something I'm not about to slag it off. They hit the mark for you and
                                    that is good enough for me.

                                    Best to all

                                    David
                                  • Robert DiClemente
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                                      Your choice of stories for each Doctor are spot on. I personally like The Daemons from Pertwee's era.