Re: [torchwood] Great New Brit Show

  • Tom Beck
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
      To say nothing of "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances".

      On Aug 27, 2007, at 5:02 PM, Craig J. Ries wrote:

      > It's written by Steven Moffat. You can't get much better than the guy
      > who wrote "The Girl in the Fireplace" and "Blink" for Doctor Who. :)
      >
      > Craig J. Ries

      ----------------------------

      Thomas N. Beck

      "Well, this train carries saints and sinners/This train carries losers
      and winners/This train carries whores and gamblers/This train carries
      lost souls/This train carries broken-hearted/This train - thieves and
      sweet souls departed/This train carries fools, carries kings/This train
      - all aboard!/I said, this train - dreams will not be thwarted/This
      train - faith will be rewarded/This train - hear the steel wheels
      singing/This train - bells of freedom ringing!" - Bruce Springsteen,
      "Land of Hope and Dreams"

    • Will Vigar
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
        Have to be honest and say that I thought Jekyll was a rare misstep for Moffat.

        Hackneyed and badly written wih a less than convincing lead actor...

        And a trully dull finale.

        Yawn, yawn, yawn.......

      • Orchid
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
          I have to disagree, at least partly... I thought that the leading
          performance saved the show, especially his bad side. The wife was pretty
          good too.

          It's a shame, it was a great idea, but I have to concede, a bit badly
          written in parts and those creepy kids! How predictable.

          Pat

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
            Really? Wow, I was VERY impressed with James Nesbitt. I'd never heard
            of him before. I absolutely loved his performance, especially his
            transformation to Mr. Hyde. Gina Bellman (Claire) was a hoot! I loved
            how she stood up to Mr. Hyde. My favorite scene was when he was
            chained up (by her) he's all nasty treats, but when she gets up and
            walks toward him he backed up fast. I also liked when Claire smacked
            him on the head reminding him that his wife was the one person who
            WOULD hit him. I sure hope Mr. Hyde comes back next season. I loved
            his smile. The ending was great too. Don't mess with mama! I love the
            female power in this show. James Nesbitt may be the star, but the
            women around him are electrifying!

            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Will Vigar" <immanion@...> wrote:

            > Have to be honest and say that I thought Jekyll was a rare misstep
            for Moffat.

            > Hackneyed and badly written wih a less than convincing lead actor...
            >
            > And a trully dull finale.
            >
            > Yawn, yawn, yawn.......

          • Stacci
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
              Seriously, do you expect Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (who is married to a
              clone) NOT to have creepy children? :-D

              --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Orchid" <ironorchid@...> wrote:

              > I have to disagree, at least partly... I thought that the leading
              > performance saved the show, especially his bad side. The wife was
              pretty
              > good too.
              >
              > It's a shame, it was a great idea, but I have to concede, a bit
              badly
              > written in parts and those creepy kids! How predictable.
              >
              > Pat

            • Louis Sather
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
                I love the show too. I had the Region 2 DVD set when
                it was released a few weeks ago just on the strength
                of it being written by Steven Moffat and actors like
                James Nesbitt, Gina Bellman and Michelle Ryan (looking
                forward to her starring in "The Bionic Woman" this
                fall). Out of the six episodes I was probably only
                disappoiinted in episode 4. Everything else was
                excellent. Gotten a few of my friends hooked on it as well.

              • Stacci
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 27, 2007
                  There are VERY few TV shows I think are good enough for me to buy,
                  but this is one of them. I also like the Midsommer Murders and an
                  American show called Farscape. While I may like other shows, these
                  are the only one's I'd pay money for.

                  As for Michelle Ryan, I'm looking forward to seeing how they are
                  going to update the Bionic Woman. I use to watch that show and the
                  Six Million Dollar Man when I was a kid. Remember the Bionic German
                  Shepherd Jaime had? Oh and the sound the show would make when anyone
                  of them were running or jumping... I hope they leave that sound
                  effect out. :-D

                  p.s. If you like the show, come on and join my group. I've already
                  got a couple of members and the more is the merrier!
                  Jekyll_From_BBC1

                  Stacci

                  ______________
                  > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
                  updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

                • David
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                    Rivalling Dr Who? Nah, not even close. This is the first time I've
                    seen anyone show any interest in it, Jekyll is not a topic of
                    conversation on this side of the Atlantic.

                    We had looked forward to watching it as the BBC had trailed it to
                    death, but we only got through about three quarters of the first one,
                    and we all thought it was so bad we went down to the pub instead.
                    A good writer is no guarantee of a good show, and although popular
                    James Nesbit is not the most convincing of actors.

                    Still, if you enjoyed it that's a good thing, maybe they just missed
                    the market over here, so they must be doing something right. I hope
                    you continue to enjoy the series.

                    Best regards and happy viewing

                    David

                    --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                    > Has anyone watched the new (in the US) show on BBC America (BBC1 in the
                    > UK) called, "Jekyll?" This is a REALLY terrific show; the best Jekyll
                    > and Hyde adaption I've ever seen. Get this; in the UK they are saying
                    > that, "Jekyll" is rivaling "Dr. Who." Considering how much the Brits
                    > LOVE Dr. Who! That's really saying something!
                    >
                    > I looked for a group to join, but there was none. Therefore I created
                    > one. If you would like to join it's called, "Jekyll_From_BBC1" and I'll
                    > have someone to talk with about this great show.
                    >
                    > Subscribe: Jekyll_From_BBC1-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  • beatlefanfcb
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                      I haven't watched Jekyll and the bits I have caught while looking for
                      other shows were not enticing but James Nesbitt was wonderful in Cold
                      Feet. It was a delightful series and it's a shame it didn't do better
                      in the US. I'm not sure why it didn't do well since it seemed like
                      every one I knew was watching it when it ran on Bravo. Some of the
                      series are now available in the US on DVD.

                      Frank Caesar Branchini
                      Edgewater, MD USA
                    • Stacci
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                        I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
                        magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
                        both shows.

                        As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
                        might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
                        they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
                        all six episodes and was very happy with it.

                        Dr. Who is a lot more fun though. Jekyll is more creepy... skin
                        crawling. James Nesbitt went back and forth easily. By episode five
                        and six the two characters melded and "they" really became creepy.
                        :-> I loved Nesbitt's evil smile. He looked like Mr. Sardonicus.

                        I know that the Brits are mad about Dr. Who from way back (this is
                        the first Dr. Who I've ever watched) so I wonder if that's why Brits
                        naturally lean toward Dr. Who and won't try something new. BBC has
                        really terrific shows that I wish we could see over here. I'm in
                        California so maybe that's why I like Jekyll. We are laid back and
                        open to new things.

                        I didn't watch the last Dr. Who (Human Nature Part 1) because I know
                        if I watch it I'll go crazy waiting for the second part. I protected
                        the episode and will watch it after recording part 2. I can't
                        remember when it starts again for us, but I'm resisting the urge to
                        watch it.

                        What do you guys think of the last two Dr. Who actors, in comparison
                        to the past Dr. Who's? I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
                        the 70's (?) no one really liked. I know my dad like the guy with the
                        long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                          I don't ever remember even hearing about Cold Feet. I use to watch
                          Midsommer Murders on Bravo all the time. I wonder if Netflix has it.
                          Thanks for the tip for a new show to look for. When they show this
                          season of Jekyll again, watch all six episodes and give it a chance.

                          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "beatlefanfcb" <beatlefanfcb@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I haven't watched Jekyll and the bits I have caught while looking for
                          > other shows were not enticing but James Nesbitt was wonderful in Cold
                          > Feet. It was a delightful series and it's a shame it didn't do
                          better
                          > in the US. I'm not sure why it didn't do well since it seemed like
                          > every one I knew was watching it when it ran on Bravo. Some of the
                          > series are now available in the US on DVD.
                          >
                          > Frank Caesar Branchini
                          > Edgewater, MD USA

                        • Will Vigar
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                            On 28/08/07, Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                            > I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
                            > magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
                            > both shows.

                            MOst of the articles were written after viewing the first episode and
                            assumed it would get better because it was Moffat. A lot of reviews
                            from around parts 4+ have been very negative.

                            > As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
                            > might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
                            > they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
                            > all six episodes and was very happy with it.

                            I watched 4.5 out of the 6, including the ending.

                            > Dr. Who is a lot more fun though. Jekyll is more creepy... skin
                            > crawling. James Nesbitt went back and forth easily. By episode five
                            > and six the two characters melded and "they" really became creepy.
                            > :-> I loved Nesbitt's evil smile. He looked like Mr. Sardonicus.

                            Ha! Mr Sardonicus! Brilliant! ;-D

                            > I know that the Brits are mad about Dr. Who from way back (this is
                            > the first Dr. Who I've ever watched) so I wonder if that's why Brits
                            > naturally lean toward Dr. Who and won't try something new.

                            Total neophile, me.....I'll try anything!

                            BBC has
                            > really terrific shows that I wish we could see over here. I'm in
                            > California so maybe that's why I like Jekyll. We are laid back and
                            > open to new things.

                            Uuuuh.....you seem to be stereotyping Brits and Californians here....I
                            know some VERY up tight Californians and VERY laid back brits :-)

                            > I didn't watch the last Dr. Who (Human Nature Part 1) because I know
                            > if I watch it I'll go crazy waiting for the second part. I protected
                            > the episode and will watch it after recording part 2. I can't
                            > remember when it starts again for us, but I'm resisting the urge to
                            > watch it.

                            Ooooooh! You are in for SUCH a treat! Probably the best story of
                            the season.....actually....make that definitely!

                            > What do you guys think of the last two Dr. Who actors, in comparison
                            > to the past Dr. Who's?

                            I'm a fan whose first memory is of Patrick Troughton's Dr Who! For
                            my money, Chris Ecclestone is the best Dr. Who bar none.....and I say
                            that after being a fan for some 40 years!

                            I've read that there was a blond Dr. Who in
                            > the 70's (?) no one really liked.

                            Well, there were two blodies. Peter Davison who, although liked, was
                            in some very dodgy stories heralding the downfall brought about by
                            other blondie, Colin Baker. I think there are probably about three
                            decent stories in his entire run. Oncce he went and the writers
                            started writing for Sylveste McCoy (rather than using scripts written
                            with Baker in mind) it got a lot better, especially the 'Perivale
                            trilogy'. Ironically, Colin Bakers best stories have been those
                            written for the Big Finish Audios. He had the perfect costume for
                            radio, you know....

                            I know my dad like the guy with the
                            > long scarf. I don't know their names... sorry. :-D

                            Tom Baker. A god amongst men.....all hail the might Baker!!
                          • Stacci
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                              Thanks for the info. Why do you believe Chris Ecclestone is the best
                              Dr. Who so far? What causes him to stand out in the crowd? I was kind
                              of disappointed when he left the show. I didn't know anything about
                              Dr. Who changing physically when he "dies."

                              Chris Ecclestone and David Tennent play Dr. Who as (kind of) a big
                              kid going for a joy ride in dad's car. Have all the other Dr. Who's
                              been this much fun/silly/energetic?

                            • Robert DiClemente
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                                Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) had fun playing the role. Unfortunately a lot of Patrick Troughton's episodes are lost, but those that are available are worth watching. One of my favorite 4th Doctor stories is The Talons of Weng Chiang, but if you want to see a humorous side to the 4th Doctor, check out City of Death.
                                Peter Davison (5th Doctor) was the youngest actor to play the role, so there was more running around and energy with his Doctor.
                                Each Doctor has his own personality, try and watch at least one story of each to get a feel for them. Hope this helps.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
                                  On 28/08/2007, Stacci <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks for the info. Why do you believe Chris Ecclestone is the best
                                  > Dr. Who so far?

                                  He bought something genuinely different to the show and managed to
                                  portray depth of character previously unseen. There was a wonderful
                                  alien quality to him which he was able to show with just a look, but
                                  which other Doctors would have to explain or exposit or gurn. It was
                                  also the first time we'd seen the Doctor as 'damaged' (aftershock of
                                  the time war?) which often affected his judgement and I genuinely
                                  beleive that only someone of Ecclestones calibre could have pulled
                                  that off. This was a Doctor who wasn't always right and was, probably
                                  thanks to Rose, a little more human.

                                  I was kind
                                  > of disappointed when he left the show. I didn't know anything about
                                  > Dr. Who changing physically when he "dies."

                                  A brilliant tool, that...

                                  > Chris Ecclestone and David Tennent play Dr. Who as (kind of) a big
                                  > kid going for a joy ride in dad's car. Have all the other Dr. Who's
                                  > been this much fun/silly/energetic?

                                  Tom Baker certainly did. I think it's fair to say that all of the
                                  Doctors embraced life, but some did it in different ways. Much as I
                                  liked Davison, he did come across as a harrassed supply teacher.
                                  Colin BAker was too arrogant. Sylveste McCoy was on the point of
                                  becoming a great Doctor when the show got cancelled, full of mystery,
                                  full of secrets.

                                  Wiliam Hartnell wasn't at all energetic being a 'crotchety old man'
                                  but he usually had three companions to be energetic for him :-) ANd
                                  Pat Trougton was.....mercurial. :-)
                                • Will Vigar
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                                    On 29/08/2007, Robert DiClemente <rmd515@...> wrote:

                                    > Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) had fun playing
                                    > the role. Unfortunately a lot of Patrick Troughton's episodes are lost, but
                                    > those that are available are worth watching. One of my favorite 4th Doctor
                                    > stories is The Talons of Weng Chiang, but if you want to see a humorous side
                                    > to the 4th Doctor, check out City of Death.

                                    Absolutely. Two cracking stories. Two of the characters in
                                    WEng-Chiang almost got a spin-off series of Sherlock Holmes-y style
                                    aadventures....City of Death is a fantastic romp around Paris...

                                    > Peter Davison (5th Doctor) was the youngest actor to play the role, so
                                    > there was more running around and energy with his Doctor.
                                    > Each Doctor has his own personality, try and watch at least one story of
                                    > each to get a feel for them. Hope this helps.

                                    Which ones would you suggest?

                                    I'd (probably) go for :
                                    Hartnell: Dalek Invasion of Earth
                                    Troughton: Ice Warriors
                                    Pertwee: The Daemons.
                                    T.Baker: Talons of Weng Chiang
                                    P.Davison; Caves of Androzani
                                    C.Baker: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerm........probably the dalek
                                    story...Resurrection, was it?
                                    Sylveste McCoy: Curse of Fenric.
                                  • David
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                                      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stacci" <kindred1964@...> wrote:

                                      > I'm just telling you what articles I've reading in the UK papers and
                                      > magazines. I think they said that because of the writer has worked on
                                      > both shows.
                                      >
                                      > As for watching the show, if you had watched the whole thing you
                                      > might have liked it. Three quarters of one episode isn't much. When
                                      > they show it again, try actually watching the whole thing. I watched
                                      > all six episodes and was very happy with it.

                                      Well, that's great that you enjoyed it, but it wasn't my cup of tea at
                                      all. I have never rated Nesbitt as a serious actor, I don't find him
                                      convincing at all. But that is a personal bias I admit, with a
                                      different actor I might of stuck with it further, maybe right until
                                      the end. And watching a whole of something you aren't enjoying on the
                                      off chance that it will improve doesn't really make sense to me. An
                                      evening out with friends seemed much the better option, especially as
                                      they disliked it too.

                                      Still I'm glad you got something out of it, just because I don't like
                                      something I'm not about to slag it off. They hit the mark for you and
                                      that is good enough for me.

                                      Best to all

                                      David
                                    • Robert DiClemente
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                                        Your choice of stories for each Doctor are spot on. I personally like The Daemons from Pertwee's era.