Re: Whats up with Jack

  • Tim Horwood
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 6, 2006
      >Sci fi programmes and stories always draw ideas from other sources. I
      >think the whole Torchwood idea came from the film Men In Black, it is
      >very similar except on a smaller scale.
      IMHO Men in Black is a comedy fantasy on one level and a satire on
      America on the other. It's the dilemma of the USA that as most Americans
      are immigrants where do you draw the line as more immigrants keep coming
      to the country. Do they change what USA is? How much easier if they were
      actually aliens with a task force to sort it all out. The irony of the
      film is that to defend the USA way of life the Men in Black lose their
      identity and cease to be part of the American way of life.

      Torchwood seems to be different from this on one level it's a sexy sci
      fi thriller with a conspiracy to keep alien tech away from humanity.
      It's the obverse of the X files which was on the outside of the
      conspiracy while Torchwood is on the inside. The extra layer of
      Torchwood is the entire Doctor Who as back story to give some resonance
      with time shift for good measure.
      On another level Torchwood is an exploration of the boundaries of what
      it is to be human. Episode 1 explores the price of life. How many lives
      is it worth to understand the powers of the glove that seems to promise
      resurrection and maybe the glimmer of what the boundaries of life and
      death are. Episode 2 examines the sexuality and the now lifestyle of
      Western society where orgasm is the ultimate experience. Episode 3 looks
      at the past replayed that emotionally overwhelms. The darker aspects of
      humanity murder, blackmail , guilt seem to outweigh the present. What
      makes Torchwood fascinating is also the ordinary life criss-crossing
      with alien tech. The domestic versus the intergalactic. The other
      interesting aspect is the character of Captain Jack who reveals at the
      beginning because of the "oestrogen that you can't get pregnant. I'm not
      doing that again", later that he can't die, that he can transfer energy
      to another human and that he doesn't sleep. What next I wonder.
      Torchwood exploring the boundaries of what it is to be a human being
      today.

      Tim Horwood
    • elliot02uk
      Message 46 of 46 , Nov 24, 2008
        According to an interview John did on BBC Radio London this morning,
        TW season 3 will be shown "about June" next year. This came directly
        from John and I've never known him to give incorrect information.

        Jean B