DW & TW @ SDCC

  • silvanthalas
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 26, 2007
      Copying what I posted a minute ago to the Gallifreyan Embassy forums:

      The BBC America: Torchwood panel was earlier today, and Noel Clarke
      was in attendance. They started out the one hour panel by showing just
      about half of the premiere episode of Torchwood. Although most of the
      people in the audience I think had already watched the series, there
      were a few (such as an acquaintenance that was there with me) who had
      yet to see it, so she got to enjoy the footage for the first time.

      The other half an hour was an interview & Q&A session. Since it was
      focusing upon the soon-to-air first series on BBC America, nothing was
      given away for series 2 - indeed, one woman asking a question upset
      the audience by spoiling one of the episode titles.

      Afterward, there was an autograph signing with Noel, but all he had to
      sign were these 8x10'ish posters that had the Who logo, along with the
      10th Doctor and Martha - no Mickey specific photos like you'd want and
      expect. Oh well.

      I also went by Underground Toys to look at their selection, but no
      purchases made so far. Another company, who's name escapes me, was
      also giving a preview of some Doctor Who Series One trading cards
      they're doing.

      Finally, the Weta booth.

      I can give you the following info from Weta about the four Doctor Who
      statues they're doing with one caveat: none of these statues have
      received final approval.

      1st - Cyber Controller from the two-parter of series 2.

      2nd - Dalek from the episode "Dalek". The Dalek case is opened and the
      creature inside is exposed.

      These two should now be on Weta's website to look at.

      3rd - the Doctor and Davros, not yet available for viewing.

      4th - the Master and the Autons, not yet available for viewing.

      I was told that they may get to show either the 3rd or 4th before the
      end of Comic-Con, but it sounds like the 4th (not sure which of the
      two) might not actually be shown at all, since I guess they haven't
      gotten permission just yet.

      Anyways, that's all for now. If there's anything else, I'll try and
      check back.

      Craig J. Ries
    • Susan Phillips
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27, 2007
        Thanks for the report but...I thought John Barrowman was supposed to be there.

        Sue

        >Copying what I posted a minute ago to the Gallifreyan Embassy forums:
        >

        >The BBC America: Torchwood panel was earlier today, and Noel Clarke
        >was in attendance. They started out the one hour panel by showing just
        >about half of the premiere episode of Torchwood. Although most of the
        >people in the audience I think had already watched the series, there
        >were a few (such as an acquaintenance that was there with me) who had
        >yet to see it, so she got to enjoy the footage for the first time.
        >
        >The other half an hour was an interview & Q&A session. Since it was
        >focusing upon the soon-to-air first series on BBC America, nothing was
        >given away for series 2 - indeed, one woman asking a question upset
        >the audience by spoiling one of the episode titles.
        >
        >Afterward, there was an autograph signing with Noel, but all he had to
        >sign were these 8x10'ish posters that had the Who logo, along with the
        >10th Doctor and Martha - no Mickey specific photos like you'd want and
        >expect. Oh well.
        >
        >I also went by Underground Toys to look at their selection, but no
        >purchases made so far. Another company, who's name escapes me, was
        >also giving a preview of some Doctor Who Series One trading cards
        >they're doing.
        >
        >Finally, the Weta booth.
        >
        >I can give you the following info from Weta about the four Doctor Who
        >statues they're doing with one caveat: none of these statues have
        >received final approval.
        >
        >1st - Cyber Controller from the two-parter of series 2.
        >
        >2nd - Dalek from the episode "Dalek". The Dalek case is opened and the
        >creature inside is exposed.
        >
        >These two should now be on Weta's website to look at.
        >
        >3rd - the Doctor and Davros, not yet available for viewing.
        >
        >4th - the Master and the Autons, not yet available for viewing.
        >
        >I was told that they may get to show either the 3rd or 4th before the
        >end of Comic-Con, but it sounds like the 4th (not sure which of the
        >two) might not actually be shown at all, since I guess they haven't
        >gotten permission just yet.
        >
        >Anyways, that's all for now. If there's anything else, I'll try and
        >check back.
        >
        >Craig J. Ries
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        "Growing up sucks."
        Wren Valere, BRING IT ON by Laura Anne Gilman
      • Beck
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27, 2007
          Unfortunately, no, John was never going to be there. The initial report that he was going to be there was mistaken. JB had a scheduling conflict, I think.

          Beck

          >Thanks for the report but...I thought John Barrowman was supposed to be there.
          >
          >Sue

        • Karl Kammer
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 27, 2007
            Inkworks is the company that are going to be producing the new who cards. I wish I was in your shoes so I could get myself a pair of those figures. My big thing with the new who merchandise is to get the 5" figures. But I couldnt make it to the comic con to pick those bad puppies up. Any idea what they were asking for them?

          • Webmaster@JohnBarrowman.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 27, 2007
              No- John was never asked to attend. period.

              George/webmaster
              www.JohnBarrowman.com

              > Unfortunately, no, John was never going to be there. The initial report
              > that he was going to be there was mistaken. JB had a scheduling conflict,
              > I think.
              >
              > Beck

            • Susan Phillips
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 27, 2007
                Thanks.

                Sue

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2007
                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Karl Kammer <daddykarl@...> wrote:

                  > Inkworks is the company that are going to be producing the new who
                  cards.

                  Right, that's the company. I didn't actually see any cards on hand though.

                  > Any idea what they were asking for them?

                  I really didn't look. There are two dealers, one being Underground
                  Toys, and another, who were both selling tons of different Doctor Who
                  things, including the 5" figures. UT had a price list, but it had so
                  many different things on it that I couldn't remember any of it.

                  I do recall the other place had a remote control Dalek for $55. The
                  thing was like 8" tall or something. :)

                  The only thing new about the two remaining Weta statues is that my
                  wife pointed out to me that a rather notable scarf was sticking out
                  from beneath the cover of the one for "The Doctor and Davros". :)

                  Craig
                • KarenZCon@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4 1:33 PM
                    silvanthalas@... writes:

                    --- In _torchwood@yahoogroutorchw_ (mailto:torchwood@yahoogroups.com) , Karl
                    Kammer <daddykarl@.da> wrote:

                    > Inkworks is the company that are going to be producing the new who
                    cards.

                    Right, that's the company. I didn't actually see any cards on hand though.

                    > Any idea what they were asking for them?

                    I really didn't look. There are two dealers, one being Underground
                    Toys, and another, who were both selling tons of different Doctor Who
                    things, including the 5" figures. UT had a price list, but it had so
                    many different things on it that I couldn't remember any of it.

                    I do recall the other place had a remote control Dalek for $55. The
                    thing was like 8" tall or something. :)

                    The only thing new about the two remaining Weta statues is that my
                    wife pointed out to me that a rather notable scarf was sticking out
                    from beneath the cover of the one for "The Doctor and Davros". :)

                    Craig<<

                    Craig,

                    The card set from Inkworks will be out sometime next year; they had a promo
                    card and a preview set available at ComicCon. Inkworks always produces a
                    nice binder for their card sets, as well, and their binders are $19.95 which is
                    quite reasonable. Base sets will be widely available and cheap; there will
                    also be a few chase sets, box toppers, autograph and sketch cards.

                    I've seen all 4 of the Weta prototypes and they are gorgeous. Dr Who fans
                    are going to be very pleased with the detail and accuracy.

                    The "other dealer" besides Underground Toys at Comic Con was us, Alien
                    Entertainment. We pretty much carry everything Dr Who that's out there, plus
                    quite a lot of stuff from the classic series. And Torchwood, of course - I
                    promoted Torchwood to everyone who came by our booth, and got a lot of people
                    interested in checking it out. The 3 novels and the Capt Jack figure did very
                    well! I did meet one person who couldn't stand the Capt Jack character and
                    refused to watch Torchwood because of it, but she's clearly deranged. LOL.

                    I was going to report on the Torchwood panel but others have already done so
                    pretty comprehensively. I will say that Noel Clarke is a very nice man who
                    was genuinely pleased at the fan reaction to his character.

                    Karen