Time travel star's bumpy ride to city / Connie launches air show

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2007
      Time travel star's bumpy ride to city

      Jun 6 2007

      By Diane Parkes, Birmingham Mail

      <http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/pfyre/torchwood/johnbarrowman/panto/jbaladin.jpg>
      []

      HE may be a time traveller in Dr Who, but jet
      travel didn't suit John Barrowman as he headed
      for Birmingham Hippodrome to launch this year's Christmas pantomime.

      John, who is best know as the time-travelling
      conman Capt Jack Harkness in both Dr Who and
      Torchwood series, joined forces with other cast
      members including Banzai's Masashi Fujimoto and The Grumbleweeds yesterday.

      But John, who will take the lead role of Aladdin
      in the panto, held up the launch by an hour
      because he was feeling poorly after a supersonic flight.

      "I am so sorry to be late," he said. "I was
      flying in a Hawker fighter jet to launch the RAF
      Tattoo and we were doing 360¼ turns and loop the loop.

      "With the G-force it really hit me. When I got
      into the car afterwards I felt so sick I just collapsed flat."

      And John confessed the event, flying from
      Boscombe Down in Wiltshire to RAF Fairford in
      Gloucestershire and taking in most of the UK en
      route had also seen a reunion with Connie Fisher,
      winner of How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria? which John helped judge.

      "She told them she didn't want to be sick so her
      plane was just flat," he said. "We kept looping
      round her to wave at her. But it was a great
      experience and I think I have seen the whole of England, upside down."

      Also taking roles in the panto are Birmingham's
      Don Maclean as Widow Twankey, Lily McConigley as
      Princess Yasmin, Peter Gallagher as Abanazar and the Daleks from Doctor Who.

      Tickets for the event went on sale before
      Christmas and sales figures are already well
      ahead of last year without the cast even being announced.

      Theatre chief executive Stuart Griffiths said
      signing up Barrowman, who is currently filming a
      second series of the Dr Who spin-off Torchwood
      and judging television's hunt for Joseph in Any Dream Will Do, was a real coup.

      "We are delighted that John, one of today's
      biggest stars from stage and television, will be
      heading the cast in what will be the theatre's
      50th year of pantomime," he said.

      Aladdin plays Birmingham Hippodrome from December
      19-January 27, contact 0870 730 1234 or see
      <http://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/>www.birminghamhippodrome.com
      for ticket details.

      http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/mail/news/tm_headline=&method=full&objectid=19252947&siteid=50002-name_page.html

      ----------

      Connie launches air show

      Jun 6 2007

      by Gareth Morgan, Western Mail

      SHE’S more used to a nun’s habit and him a more
      old-fashioned military overcoat when appearing for their fans.

      But yesterday Welsh musical star Connie Fisher
      and Torchwood actor John Barrowman donned the green jumpsuits of RAF aircrew.

      They appeared at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire
      to launch this summer’s Royal International Air Tattoo.

      The pair enjoyed a low-level flight in two RAF
      Hawk jets from Boscombe Down in Wiltshire before
      landing at the US Air Force Base.

      The Royal International Air Tattoo is the world’s
      largest military air show and is held in support
      of the Royal Air Force Charitable Trust.

      http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/tm_headline=connie-launches-air-show&method=full&objectid=19250729&siteid=50082-name_page.html