Re: Jack's 'look'

  • psionycx
    Message 1 of 92 , May 15 5:30 PM
      This is very true. But pound for pound, Jack is so far weighing in
      as a shy virgin compared to someone like, say, Patrick on Coupling.
      Now granted, Coupling was a relationship comedy whereas Torchwood is
      a sci-fi show. But as you noted below, we have more concrete
      evidence of sex on the parts of Gwen, Owen and Tosh.

      It is true that imagination can be relied upon to fill in the blanks
      as it were. And where that fails there's all those lovely people
      writing fanfic (about 3/4 of which is Jack/Ianto bless their little
      hearts). It is true that while all of Torchwood's gay audience and
      most of it's straight female audience would be perfectly fine with
      the sight of Jack and Ianto doing something rather more graphic, it's
      open to debate if the straight male demographic (the usual core sci-
      fi audience) would cope well, even allowing for the fact that the
      British have more evolved sensibilities than Americans.

      Naturally this is manifest in the fact that Jack's kiss with Jack, or
      even his brief one with Ianto, is considered as more "daring" than
      Owen and Diane being shown in bed. Welcome back to Melrose Place.
      Still it is irksome though. Plus, Jack and Ianto frankly have more
      chemistry than Gwen and Owen. It's that whole angsty men together
      thing.

      I suppose it's just a little funny, because so much hype has been put
      to this, but really only Carys's possession by alien sex gas was
      really especially titillating. Otherwise Torchwood is noticeably
      less risque than Buffy the Vampire Slayer was.

      Jack may have some major issues going back to his abandonment by the
      Doctor and Rose (however unintentional it may have been). But for
      pity's sake that was at least a century ago on his personal
      timeline! At some point you just have to get over it Jack! May
      series two bring a little more "excitement" to the show. And fewer
      Weevils.

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

      > this is not an usual scenario in television series - I recall a
      1980s
      > series in which the nominal lead was supposed to be the 'ladies'
      man'
      > always on the prowl, on the make, and yet if you were to go back
      and check
      > the eps of the series - the socalled ladies man had very few dates
      much
      > less much else and yet the secondary lead was the one hopping in
      and out of
      > bed - but to this day the illusion persists
      >
      > that's what they've done with Jack - right from 'The Empty Child'
      onwards -
      > we've gotten plenty of innuendo and double entendres galore but as
      for
      > actual physical evidence of Jack doing more than flirting and
      occasionally
      > kissing we've gotten virtually nada hard evidence -- yet I'd be
      willing to
      > bet that the average and casual viewers of DW and/or TW would still
      believe
      > that Jack in the rogue the one on the make and constantly hopping
      beds
      > whether occupied by male or female or some other gender human or
      alien

      > perhaps because as open and progressive as British tv and audiences
      are,
      > you have to wonder if they're truly ready to see Jack shagging a
      gorgeous
      > alien or exquisitely, gorgeous Ianto? we want to see it, but is the
      average
      > audience member ready for it?
      >

      > I honestly don't think this means that Ianto is 'no one' to Jack
      but more a
      > comment on that there is no one that Jack has been able to be
      truthful and
      > completely open about himself since being brought back to life on
      Satellite
      > Five and abandoned by the two people he loved and trusted....
      >

      > me too - though we would have to say there is some proof that Gwen
      is
      > getting some from both Rhys and Owen (Rhys leaving the bed starkers
      in the
      > morning, etc. - Owen, starkers, stepping up behind Gwen - who is
      apparently
      > dressed only in his shirt) -- and we saw Tosh and Mary apparently
      post
      > coital so she got some in series one -- so here's to hoping and
      praying
      > that Jack AND Ianto manage to get some in series two with a bit
      more
      > evidence for the audience
      >
      > pfyre

    • psionycx