minor SPOILERS: 'Torchwood' Star Eager For American Premiere/John Barrowman Gives Some Hints About The Future Of Captain Jack

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2007
      'Torchwood' Star Eager For American Premiere

      John Barrowman also discusses return to 'Doctor Who'

      By ALAN STANLEY BLAIR
      Source: Sci-Fi Pulse
      May-08-2007

      The first "Doctor Who" spinoff "Torchwood" (the
      science-fiction series aimed at an adult
      audience) is ready to make its debut in the
      United States on BBC America, with star John
      Barrowman just as eager about the American debut as the fans.

      Barrowman talked recently with Starburst magazine
      about why Capt. Jack made a major change in
      character from the first season finale of "Doctor Who" to "Torchwood."

      "We discussed that and we took it from when Capt.
      Jack was left behind on Satellite Five,"
      Barrowman said, according to a transcript by
      Sci-Fi Pulse. "He was angry, he was gutted and
      that’s why he didn’t become involved with people
      so much because he had detached himself. He has
      also come back to a point of time [in the past]
      where he has to live through everything again,
      and you’ll find out more about that in [Season 3]
      of 'Doctor Who' and [Season 2] of 'Torchwood.'
      He’s a bit angry, so that’s why he doesn’t show
      much warmth or humor. But that’s gonna come around, that’s all I will say."

      But when "Torchwood" finishes its final episode
      of the season, American fans still have Capt.
      Jack's much-anticipated return to "Doctor Who" to
      look forward to. In October, Barrowman confirmed
      to SyFy Portal that he would indeed return to
      "Doctor Who" for three episodes, and now that
      those episodes have been completed, the most
      exciting thing for the actor about returning to
      the mother series is that it wasn’t his show.

      "It was weird because I was there with Billie
      [Piper] and Chris [Eccleston], and part of that
      team that brought it back and created the
      beginning," he said. "I am the only one left from
      the beginning. With 'Torchwood' that is my show,
      and with 'Doctor Who' it is David’s [Tennant] –
      or whoever plays The Doctor, and I know that. So
      I came back as one of three, but that was kind of
      nice because he got to say all the big blurb! The
      responsibility of saying all the big words and
      the exposition was taken away from me, which was
      wonderful. I could just say, ‘Yes Doctor!’ ‘OK,
      Doctor!’ ‘What do you mean, Doctor?’"

      To read more of the interview with John Barrowman see below.

      "Torchwood" joins the Supernatural Saturday lineup on BBC America in June.

      Who would you like to see nominated in the 2007
      SyFy Genre Awards? Make your suggestions count go
      <http://www.syfyportal.com/news423601.html>.
      source: <http://www.syfyportal.com/news423613.html>

      ----------
      John Barrowman Gives Some Hints About The Future Of Captain Jack
      Source SciFi Pulse

      []

      By Ian M. Cullen

      With only a matter of weeks until Captain Jack
      Harkness makes his heroic return to Doctor Who,
      the excitement for fans of the character are at
      fever pitch and John Barrowman who portrays the
      role is as enthusiastic as the many Doctor Who
      and Torchwood fans who await his return to the series with baited breath.

      At present there are more questions about Captain
      Jack than there are answers. Questions such as:
      How did he get to the 21st century after being
      abandoned on Satellite Five? And: Why was he less
      of a flirtatious character on Torchwood than he
      was on Doctor Who? While talking to Starburst
      John Barrowman gave some of his insights about
      the role, which has made him a household name.

      "We discussed that and we took it from when
      Captain Jack was left behind on Satellite Five.
      He was angry, he was gutted and that's why he
      didn't become involved with people so much
      because he had detached himself. He has also come
      back to a point of time [in the past] where he
      has to live through everything again, and you'll
      find out more about that in series three of
      Doctor Who and series two of Torchwood. He's a
      bit angry, so that's why he doesn't show much
      warmth or humour. But that's gonna come around, that all I will say."

      While at present Captain Jack does not show a
      great deal of warmth, the same cannot be said for
      John Barrowman whose sense of fun and playful
      nature has given him a reputation for being
      somewhat of a wildcard on the set of Torchwood,
      and Barrowman is fast to admit that he does like
      keep his co stars on their toes so to speak.

      "Last time I answered questions like this
      honestly one person complained that it wasn't Gay
      Times and your people should not be reading it.
      One of our National Newspapers picked up on it
      and I got blamed when the editor was the one at
      fault, so I won't tell you exactly what I did.
      All I'll say is that... things come out."

      Of course Jack is returning to Doctor Who and his
      first episode 'Utopia' which is number 11 in the
      running order is only a matter of weeks away.
      That last time we saw Jack on Doctor Who was when
      Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper still had
      the two lead roles, and Barrowman is quick to
      point out that it was a little different for him
      acting alongside David Tennant due to the fact
      that a new chemistry needed to be established.

      "It was weird because I was there with Billie and
      Chris, and part of that team that brought it back
      and created the beginning. I am the only one left
      from the beginning. With Torchwood that is my
      show, and with Doctor Who it is David's – or
      whoever plays the Doctor, and I know that. So I
      came back as one of three, but that was kind of
      nice because he got to say all the big blurb! The
      responsibility of saying all the big words and
      the exposition was taken away from me, which was
      wonderful. I could just say, 'Yes Doctor!' 'OK
      Doctor!' 'What do you mean Doctor?'"

      "But it was also finding the dynamic again,
      because you have two actors who have never worked
      together as these two characters who we firmly
      established with each other. I've watched Doctor
      Who with David, he has watched Torchwood, so it
      was a neat experience, but weird. But towards the
      end it was good fun. I learned again that Jack
      still has something to add to it, so who knows."

      As to the future for Captain Jack, Barrowman
      couldn't be happier with the role and truly
      enjoys the character to such an extent that he is
      open to portraying the role as long as he is needed to do so.

      "As long as I can do something like 'Any Dream
      Will Do' and fit in some other things, I am happy
      to play Jack for the next five or 10 years if the
      audience wants it. I just think he is great."

      You can read much more of this interview in the
      350Th edition of Starburst Magazine which is out now in all-good news agencies.

      <http://scifipulse.net/Dr_Who/J_BarrowmanOnJackHarkness.html>