Who is Saxon? Spoilers

  • David King
    Message 1 of 22 , May 1, 2007
      There have been references to Mr Saxon, and he appears towards the end
      of series 3, and may well be the Master.

      I just watched again "The Runaway Bride", and in that there is a
      reference to Mr Saxon, even before he was mentioned in episode 1 of
      series 3.

      Specifically, the army tank at the end, when it fired, the man in the
      tank said that they were ordered by Mr Saxon to destroy the alien ship.

      David K

      Jackie Moleski wrote:
      > Louis Sather wrote:
      >

      >> << The "Face" may tell the Doctor that there is
      >> another time lord.. his brother, and that brother will
      >> come to be the mysterious Mister Saxon. >>
      >>
      >> Given the 'history' of the Doctor and the Master I
      >> couldn't buy that if it were the direction they chose
      >> to go. The First Doctor doesn't recognise the Master
      >> in 'The Five Doctors', to which the Master's reply is,
      >> "believe it or not we were at the Academy
      >> together"...and not, "believe it or not I'm your
      >> brother - regenerated". That would be like claiming
      >> Holmes and Moriarty were actually brothers.

      > That's ironic, really-- because I could have sworn I'd seen the theory
      > that Holmes and Moriarty were brothers (well, half-brothers) in PRINT
      > somewhere. (in a fan source or source *about* fan sources such as Baker
      > Street Irregulars)
      >
      > As to the Master-- I'd always figured that the Master and the Doctor
      > were friends at school and became enemies later. Both of them rebeled
      > against Time Lord society after all. As to the first Dr not recognising
      > the Master in *5 Drs*, I always put that down to the Master actually
      > taking Tremas's body rather than regenerating in the traditional sense.
      > Call it a fannish justification or assumption or what ever, but...
      > that's what I figured.
      >
      > --Jackie M

    • Stevie
      Message 2 of 22 , May 1, 2007
        Hey all!

        Ive noticed that the word "Saxon" appears even earlier than the Runaway bride. In Captain Jack Harkness (Torchwood) there is a "Vote Saxon" poster on the run down building in our time where Tosh and Jack go to - look again and you'll see it!! How cool is that for a cross link between the two series :o)

        BTW... Ive heard mentioned on here a few times about a Torchwood boxset - does anyone have any more details? Ive looked at all the usual websites and found no mention of it :o(

        Stevie xx

        Jackie Moleski wrote:
        > Louis Sather wrote:
        >

        >> << The "Face" may tell the Doctor that there is
        >> another time lord.. his brother, and that brother will
        >> come to be the mysterious Mister Saxon. >>
        >>
        >> Given the 'history' of the Doctor and the Master I
        >> couldn't buy that if it were the direction they chose
        >> to go. The First Doctor doesn't recognise the Master
        >> in 'The Five Doctors', to which the Master's reply is,
        >> "believe it or not we were at the Academy
        >> together"...and not, "believe it or not I'm your
        >> brother - regenerated". That would be like claiming
        >> Holmes and Moriarty were actually brothers.

        > That's ironic, really-- because I could have sworn I'd seen the theory
        > that Holmes and Moriarty were brothers (well, half-brothers) in PRINT
        > somewhere. (in a fan source or source *about* fan sources such as Baker
        > Street Irregulars)
        >
        > As to the Master-- I'd always figured that the Master and the Doctor
        > were friends at school and became enemies later. Both of them rebeled
        > against Time Lord society after all. As to the first Dr not recognising
        > the Master in *5 Drs*, I always put that down to the Master actually
        > taking Tremas's body rather than regenerating in the traditional sense.
        > Call it a fannish justification or assumption or what ever, but...
        > that's what I figured.
        >
        > --Jackie M

      • Russ

            Message 5 of 22 , May 2, 2007
              Nooooooooooooooooo, not another JNT Master anagram!?! lol

              Message 6 of 22 , May 2, 2007
                no more like a rtd anagram uh doctor who anagramed to torchwood

                Stevie <j0nahwhale@...> wrote: Nooooooooooooooooo, not another JNT Master anagram!?! lol

                Message 7 of 22 , May 2, 2007
                  There were also Vote Saxon posters in at least the last episode of Torchwood.

                  Jackie Moleski wrote:
                  > Louis Sather wrote:
                  >

                  >> << The "Face" may tell the Doctor that there is
                  >> another time lord.. his brother, and that brother will
                  >> come to be the mysterious Mister Saxon. >>
                  >>
                  >> Given the 'history' of the Doctor and the Master I
                  >> couldn't buy that if it were the direction they chose
                  >> to go. The First Doctor doesn't recognise the Master
                  >> in 'The Five Doctors', to which the Master's reply is,
                  >> "believe it or not we were at the Academy
                  >> together"...and not, "believe it or not I'm your
                  >> brother - regenerated". That would be like claiming
                  >> Holmes and Moriarty were actually brothers.

                  > That's ironic, really-- because I could have sworn I'd seen the theory
                  > that Holmes and Moriarty were brothers (well, half-brothers) in PRINT
                  > somewhere. (in a fan source or source *about* fan sources such as Baker
                  > Street Irregulars)
                  >
                  > As to the Master-- I'd always figured that the Master and the Doctor
                  > were friends at school and became enemies later. Both of them rebeled
                  > against Time Lord society after all. As to the first Dr not recognising
                  > the Master in *5 Drs*, I always put that down to the Master actually
                  > taking Tremas's body rather than regenerating in the traditional sense.
                  > Call it a fannish justification or assumption or what ever, but...
                  > that's what I figured.
                  >
                  > --Jackie M

                  Patrick Power

                  The Bug-Eyed Monster Society CBR Project
                  http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885

                  Patrick's KISS & Other Rock-n-Roll Stuff
                  http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826

                  On The Air (Old Time Radio files)
                  http://www.savefile.com/projects/1074887

                • Craig J. Ries
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 3, 2007
                    I don't want to be an ass, but this list has some ongoing problems that
                    don't seem to be ending any time soon.

                    One: Quoting.

                    You don't need to quote 500 lines of text with every post, with several
                    previous replies embedded and so on. Many of you continue to do this,
                    and there's no excuse for it.

                    Two: Spoiler space

                    The entire Saxon thread has "spoilers" put in the subject line, but then
                    no spoiler space, sufficient spoiler space, or is going about it all
                    wrong (mentioning what is probably the real spoiler at the top of the
                    post, and then giving space for something rather inconsequential).

                    I'm not so anal that I don't want to even know next week's episode
                    title, but some folks don't want to know even little details like that.

                    To quote from one of Benjamin's recent posts:
                    "You open the message, and it has spoiler space using characters going
                    down the screen instead of just the enter/return button, so most readers
                    have the message far enough down for people to decide if they want to
                    read or not."

                    A better way to do it is to use a ! or some other symbol, one per line,
                    for 20-25 lines. This is because some programs may still remove
                    excessive numbers of blank lines, thus defeating the purpose of spoiler
                    space.

                    Craig J. Ries
                  • Lynn
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 3, 2007
                      From: Craig J. Ries <silvanthalas@...>:

                      > One: Quoting.

                      > You don't need to quote 500 lines of text with every post, with several
                      > previous replies embedded and so on. Many of you continue to do this,
                      > and there's no excuse for it.

                      I've been fighting this battle lately on a list I mod, and I've got say it's just a losing one -- it's amazing how many people aren't even familiar with the concept.

                      People who've been using the Internet for a long time (especially back in the pre-web days) remember mail and usenet clients that put messages in the proper format for this, with the quote above marked off by > or something, and the cursor at the end. Unfortunately today's clients -- especially the web-based email services like yahoo and gmail, don't do this -- they put the ----- Original Message ----- below the spot where you're supposed to write. This just encourages people to leave the original message (and all the ones before it) intact. I just can't seem to get the point across that it really isn't necessary, and annoys people who read the digest. I fear this is just a losing battle with the way email is formatted these days. Sadly.

                      -lynn
                    • Jackie Moleski
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 3, 2007
                        Lynn wrote:

                        Hi Lynn--

                        I have a technical question. I download all my e-mail using
                        Thunderbird, though my provider automatically sends everything through
                        webmail first.

                        However, I've noticed when trying to reply to posts from Yahoo, that I
                        can insert a comment once in the message, but if I try to then delete
                        the non-relevant stuff, and THEN continue quoting and post again under
                        the quote, I simplly can't. It's like I can't insert where the text is
                        (almost like it's an image, but it's not, it's text). I also sometimes
                        end-up with my e-mail in columns for no reason.

                        What's up?

                        I'm also used-to the "older" list-serv generated lists, which put in the
                        little arrows for quoted dialogue, where you could comment wherever you
                        wanted to.

                        --Jackie
                      • Lynn
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 3, 2007
                          From: Jackie Moleski <moleskij@...>

                          >However, I've noticed when trying to reply to posts from Yahoo, that I
                          >can insert a comment once in the message, but if I try to then delete
                          >the non-relevant stuff, and THEN continue quoting and post again under
                          >the quote, I simplly can't. It's like I can't insert where the text is
                          >(almost like it's an image, but it's not, it's text). I also sometimes
                          >end-up with my e-mail in columns for no reason.
                          >
                          >What's up?

                          It's the web formatting. You can set your Yahoo groups to come through in the older style, I think, which has less HTML -- check your settings for the group. Depending on your email client, you may be able to force mail to come through in plain text that way, too. I don't use the Thunderbird mail client, so I'm not sure about yours.

                          >I'm also used-to the "older" list-serv generated lists, which put in the
                          >little arrows for quoted dialogue, where you could comment wherever you
                          >wanted to.

                          That's not the list itself, it's just the client you're using to read/reply. It's unfortunate that Yahoo and Gmail don't offer options as to how you want to reply -- both seem to default to putting the entire new message below.

                          -Lynn
                        • Craig J. Ries
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 3, 2007
                            Lynn wrote:

                            > It's the web formatting. You can set your Yahoo groups to come through
                            > in the older style, I think, which has less HTML -- check your settings
                            > for the group. Depending on your email client, you may be able to force
                            > mail to come through in plain text that way, too. I don't use the
                            > Thunderbird mail client, so I'm not sure about yours.

                            Yes, at some point, Yahoo decided that everybody wanted the more
                            annoying HTML stuff for their messages, rather than, you know, doing the
                            right thing and informing us such a choice would become available.

                            So, I'd highly recommend switching your settings for Yahoo (and you'll
                            have to do this with each group you're a part of) from "Fully Featured"
                            to "Traditional".

                            As for Thunderbird, it can be sent so e-mails are sent in plain text,
                            HTML, or both, but it's composer isn't true plain text from what I can
                            see: I still have some issues with inline quoting and getting the
                            program to do what I want, but I get the choice of commenting above or
                            below the quote.

                            Craig J. Ries