60 SECONDS: Russell T Davies

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 29, 2007
      60 SECONDS: Russell T Davies

      by ANDREW WILLIAMS - Wednesday, March 28, 2007

      []

      Russell T Davies is the writer behind such hit TV
      series as Queer As Folk and The Second Coming but
      is best known for reviving the fortunes of Dr
      Who. The sci-fi series returns for a new series
      on Saturday night on BBC1 starring David Tennant
      and Freema Agyeman as his new sidekick Martha.

      What can we expect from the new series?
      Martha's the biggest change. She's a medical
      student living away from home and is more
      independent than Billie Piper's character Rose
      was. There's more of a sense of a life
      interrupted with Martha but, like any companion,
      she's brave and courageous and we should all want
      to be like her. I never want to write a companion
      who moans about being on the Tardis – they're
      mad, wanting to go home. If someone offered to
      show me the whole of time and space, I'd abandon everything.

      Who is your least favourite companion?
      Oh, I'm not going to say. I'll be at some
      convention in the future and she'll run over and
      beat me up if I did. I love them all.

      Who's your favourite Doctor?
      Tom Baker. I was 11 when he came along. I'd loved
      Jon Pertwee before but Tom Baker was just
      extraordinary. He appealed to every different
      generation of Dr Who viewer and the ratings
      really came alive when he started in it. You
      watch the episodes now and he still stands out.

      Which are better, the Daleks or the Cybermen?
      Daleks any day; that's why I wrote an episode
      where the Daleks thrash the Cybermen. The fact
      they still work now is astonishing. We were
      tempted to redesign them and drew up all sorts of
      different Daleks – circular Daleks, flying
      Daleks, real Star Wars-type Daleks – but they
      just weren't Daleks. There's a reason they've
      lasted 40 years. I'd like to read a
      university-level essay on why the design of the Daleks has worked so well.

      Dr Who fans have had a geeky image in the past. Have you changed that?
      No, that image has lasted a long time and it's
      slightly true. There is a section of fandom like
      that. I'm a fan myself but I'm very glad we've
      broadened the appeal. One of the great joys is
      getting fan letters from little girls because
      traditionally it's been something only boys have
      liked. Saying that, we forget how huge the show
      was in 1964, when The Dalek Invasion Of Earth
      caused Dalekmania across the country. We've just
      restored it to its former glory.

      I'd like to read a university-level essay on why
      the design of the Daleks has worked so well

      What's your favourite piece of Dr Who merchandise?
      The radio-controlled Daleks. They are so well
      made, I'd have loved to have had one when I was a
      kid. I keep an eye on the proposals for
      merchandise. We turned down a request for Dr
      Who-branded yoghurts because people are so
      concerned about what children eat right now. I
      said yes to a Dalek hot water bottle, though – I
      thought it was brilliant. I get sent a copy of
      all the merchandise and my flat is beginning to
      look like a paedophile's den. I'm going to start
      giving it away to nephews and nieces.

      Are you spreading yourself too thin with Dr Who,
      Torchwood and now the Sarah Jane Adventures?
      No, it's not like the Star Trek franchise when
      there were three series on at the same time that
      were practically identical. Torchwood is clearly
      for adults and Sarah Jane is clearly for
      children. We worked hard to keep them distinct
      but I think three will be our limit.

      Torchwood had a mixed reception...
      What do you mean, a mixed reception?

      Some people hated it.
      You mean among online, moaning old minnies? We
      got the highest digital figures the BBC ever got
      so, frankly, we were laughing. We're working on
      ways the second series can be improved, none of
      which has anything to do with online forums.

      Do you have a disparaging view of online fandom?
      I'm suspicious of any focus group. If the BBC
      said, 'we've done a focus group of 200 people
      from Ipswich and asked their opinions', I'd say:
      'F*** off, Ipswich.' It's no way to work
      properly. It's the same as an online forum, it's
      like a focus group. If you worked in advertising
      and used that as a way of doing your research,
      your boss would sack you because it's not
      representative of the general public. It seems
      that they're becoming more powerful, particularly
      in American sci-fi shows, who seem to imagine
      those groups are the general public. They are all
      people of a similar background, similar
      philosophy and similar take on Dr Who – that's fandom.

      What does the T stand for?
      Nothing. There's another Russell Davies who
      broadcasts on Radio 4 so I added it to avoid
      confusion. For my first credit, I was thinking
      'Russell P Davies', 'Russell S Davies' and, as
      soon as I chose 'T', one of my friends said:
      'What, like James T Kirk?' I thought 'oh f***' but it was too late.

      What are you proudest of having written?
      The best thing I've done is the first episode of
      Bob And Rose but I expect Queer As Folk will be
      the one that gets remembered for longer. I'd be
      happy to have it on my tombstone.

      What's the worst thing you've done?
      A sitcom called The House Of Windsor. It was
      absolutely f***ing terrible. It wasn't my idea
      but I wrote an episode and every line was
      despicable. It had a great cast but it was crap.

      http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/interviews/article.html?in_article_id=43167&in_page_id=11

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 30, 2007
          pfyre wrote:

          Hi--

          Hey, thanks for posting!

          There's a couple of Mr. Davies' comments that I find really confusing
          though. First--his statement that DW fans are mostly men (hey, *I'm* a
          woman, hello!), but I know that's a VERY common mis-preception about any
          SF fans-- Star Trek, DW, Stargate, SF in general, whatever.

          The second one was his comments about forums where the fans *don't* like
          *Torchwood*? What's up with that? Mind you, I try to avoid spoilers,
          but what I've seen on this list and on the various lists at LJ's has
          been incredibly positive.

          Just wondering...

          --Jackie

> [...]
          > people of a similar background, similar
          > philosophy and similar take on Dr Who - that's fandom.
          >
          > What does the T stand for?
          > Nothing. There's another Russell Davies who
          > broadcasts on Radio 4 so I added it to avoid
          > confusion. For my first credit, I was thinking
          > 'Russell P Davies', 'Russell S Davies' and, as
          > soon as I chose 'T', one of my friends said:
          > 'What, like James T Kirk?' I thought 'oh f***' but it was too late.
          >
          > What are you proudest of having written?
          > The best thing I've done is the first episode of
          > Bob And Rose but I expect Queer As Folk will be
          > the one that gets remembered for longer. I'd be
          > happy to have it on my tombstone.
          >
          > What's the worst thing you've done?
          > A sitcom called The House Of Windsor. It was
          > absolutely f***ing terrible. It wasn't my idea
          > but I wrote an episode and every line was
          > despicable. It had a great cast but it was crap.

        • Tom Beck
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 30, 2007
            Actually, in England, DW fandom has historically been overwhelmingly
            male. One of the many contributions Billie Piper is credited with is
            bringing young British females to the show's viewership.

            On Mar 30, 2007, at 5:23 PM, Jackie Moleski wrote:

            > There's a couple of Mr. Davies' comments that I find really confusing
            > though. First--his statement that DW fans are mostly men (hey, *I'm* a
            > woman, hello!), but I know that's a VERY common mis-preception about
            > any
            > SF fans-- Star Trek, DW, Stargate, SF in general, whatever.__

            ----------------------------

            Thomas N. Beck

            "Well, this train carries saints and sinners/This train carries losers
            and winners/This train carries whores and gamblers/This train carries
            lost souls/This train carries broken-hearted/This train - thieves and
            sweet souls departed/This train carries fools, carries kings/This train
            - all aboard!/I said, this train - dreams will not be thwarted/This
            train - faith will be rewarded/This train - hear the steel wheels
            singing/This train - bells of freedom ringing!" - Bruce Springsteen,
            "Land of Hope and Dreams"

          • Elizabeth Holden
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2 12:18 PM
              --- Jackie Moleski <moleskij@...> wrote:

              > There's a couple of Mr. Davies' comments that I find
              > really confusing
              > though. First--his statement that DW fans are
              > mostly men

              I think it used to be the case that most Doctor Who
              fans were male, but no longer. I know a lot of Doctor
              Who fans, both male and Female.

              > The second one was his comments about forums where
              > the fans *don't* like *Torchwood*?

              They may exist - since I have gravitated to the venues
              where fans love Torchwood, I haven't come across that.
              Though I know fans who dislike one character or
              another, and I even know one who doesn't like Captain
              Jack. Can you imagine?

              The only negative comments I've seen about Torchwood
              have been from some (but not a majority) of the
              professional critics.

              namaste,
              Elizabeth
            • Thomas Beck
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 2 1:51 PM
                I think I already replied to this, but historically, DW fans in the UK
                were overwhelmingly male. That may be changing now, but when Davies was
                growing up as a fan, it was still the case.

                In the US, DW fandom has always been mixed.

                On Apr 2, 2007, at 3:18 PM, Elizabeth Holden wrote:

                > --- Jackie Moleski <moleskij@...> wrote:
                >
                > > There's a couple of Mr. Davies' comments that I find
                > > really confusing
                > > though. First--his statement that DW fans are
                > > mostly men
                >
                > I think it used to be the case that most Doctor Who
                > fans were male, but no longer. I know a lot of Doctor
                > Who fans, both male and Female.

                ----------------------------

                Thomas N. Beck

                "Well, this train carries saints and sinners/This train carries losers
                and winners/This train carries whores and gamblers/This train carries
                lost souls/This train carries broken-hearted/This train - thieves and
                sweet souls departed/This train carries fools, carries kings/This train
                - all aboard!/I said, this train - dreams will not be thwarted/This
                train - faith will be rewarded/This train - hear the steel wheels
                singing/This train - bells of freedom ringing!"
                - Bruce Springsteen, "Land of Hope and Dreams"

              • Stuart Grant
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2 2:00 PM
                  If you really want to see negative comments on DW & TW, have a read through
                  the comments on the Digital Spy Forums (I wouldn�t bother, it seems to be
                  mostly self-righteous wannabe�s).

                  Stuart

                  _____

                  > There's a couple of Mr. Davies' comments that I find
                  > really confusing
                  > though. First--his statement that DW fans are
                  > mostly men

                  I think it used to be the case that most Doctor Who
                  fans were male, but no longer. I know a lot of Doctor
                  Who fans, both male and Female.

                  > The second one was his comments about forums where
                  > the fans *don't* like *Torchwood*?

                  They may exist - since I have gravitated to the venues
                  where fans love Torchwood, I haven't come across that.
                  Though I know fans who dislike one character or
                  another, and I even know one who doesn't like Captain
                  Jack. Can you imagine?

                  The only negative comments I've seen about Torchwood
                  have been from some (but not a majority) of the
                  professional critics.

                  namaste,
                  Elizabeth

                  20:49

                • Will Vigar
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 2 2:32 PM
                    On 02/04/07, Stuart Grant <sexystuartg@...> wrote:
                    > If you really want to see negative comments on DW & TW, have a read through
                    > the comments on the Digital Spy Forums (I wouldn't bother, it seems to be
                    > mostly self-righteous wannabe's).

                    Quite.... and the SFX.co.uk forums are awash with negativity...

                    --
                    "A Knife and Fork in a World of Soup"
                  • clifton kane
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 2 9:21 PM
                      Will Torchwood be comming to America?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 3 11:30 AM
                        No, there's a HUGE difference between the USA and the UK. Both
                        Bacon-Smith and Jenkins based their books largely on the United States.
                        In Britain, Doctor Who fandom until recently was 90% male. That may
                        have changed recently, but through the 1970s and 80s, and well into the
                        90s, it was unquestionably the case.

                        Don't generalize from the American experience and assume it was the
                        same case elsewhere.

                        ----------------------------

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 3 11:48 AM
                          Elizabeth Holden wrote:

                          > --- Jackie Moleski <moleskij@...
                          > <mailto:moleskij%40execpc.com>> wrote:
                          >
                          > > There's a couple of Mr. Davies' comments that I find
                          > > really confusing
                          > > though. First--his statement that DW fans are
                          > > mostly men
                          >
                          > I think it used to be the case that most Doctor Who
                          > fans were male, but no longer. I know a lot of Doctor
                          > Who fans, both male and Female.
                          >
                          > > The second one was his comments about forums where
                          > > the fans *don't* like *Torchwood*?
                          >
                          > They may exist - since I have gravitated to the venues
                          > where fans love Torchwood, I haven't come across that.
                          > Though I know fans who dislike one character or
                          > another, and I even know one who doesn't like Captain
                          > Jack. Can you imagine?
                          >
                          > The only negative comments I've seen about Torchwood
                          > have been from some (but not a majority) of the
                          > professional critics.
                          >
                          > namaste,
                          > Elizabeth

                          Hi--

                          Well THAT's interesting-- considering the incredibly GOOD reviews the
                          new, updated version of *Doctor Who* got-- it even got good reviews in
                          the States, much to my surprise. (NOT to say DW and TW don't *deserve*
                          good reviews, they do--but I'm used to professional reviewers dissing SF
                          shows).

                          Oh-- I think the "male fans" stereotype is definately an old and
                          outdated one. Even for the original *Star Trek*, though the media
                          stereotype is for "geeky guys" as fans-- in reality it was mostly women
                          who organized the famous (or infamous) letter-writing compaigns and kept
                          the show alive in fanzines. (See *Enterprising Women* by Camille
                          Bacon-Smith and/or *Textual Poachers* by Henry Jenkins).

                          --Jackie

                        • Patrick Power
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 4 2:09 AM
                            I've seen some very negative posts in other forums. I just shake my head in disbelief and go my merry way. I have been deleting most of the posts here the last few weeks as my DVD burner quit working, and I had not seen the last half of the season. I was trying to avoid spoilers. But, I figured out how to get the thing working again and am now up through ep 9. Random Shoes actually brought a tear to my eye at the end. Somehow it made me think of the Love & Monster EP from last series of DW, but better.

                            Jackie Moleski <moleskij@...> wrote: pfyre wrote:

> [...]

                            > people of a similar background, similar
                            > philosophy and similar take on Dr Who - that's fandom.
                            >
                            > What does the T stand for?
                            > Nothing. There's another Russell Davies who
                            > broadcasts on Radio 4 so I added it to avoid
                            > confusion. For my first credit, I was thinking
                            > 'Russell P Davies', 'Russell S Davies' and, as
                            > soon as I chose 'T', one of my friends said:
                            > 'What, like James T Kirk?' I thought 'oh f***' but it was too late.
                            >
                            > What are you proudest of having written?
                            > The best thing I've done is the first episode of
                            > Bob And Rose but I expect Queer As Folk will be
                            > the one that gets remembered for longer. I'd be
                            > happy to have it on my tombstone.
                            >
                            > What's the worst thing you've done?
                            > A sitcom called The House Of Windsor. It was
                            > absolutely f***ing terrible. It wasn't my idea
                            > but I wrote an episode and every line was
                            > despicable. It had a great cast but it was crap.

                            Patrick Power

                            The Bug-Eyed Monster Society CBR Project
                            http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885

                            Patrick's KISS & Other Rock-n-Roll Stuff
                            http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826

                            On The Air (Old Time Radio files)
                            http://www.savefile.com/projects/1074887

                          • Patrick Power
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 6 12:26 AM
                              I think another outdated stereotype is that critics don't like Sci Fi. LOL Battlestar Galactica has been consistently called "THE best" or one of the best dramas on television. I think the advent of more adult dramatic SF getting away from the space opera has gained a lot of respect for the genre.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 6 9:24 AM
                                Patrick Power wrote:

                                > I think another outdated stereotype is that critics don't like Sci Fi.
                                > LOL Battlestar Galactica has been consistently called "THE best" or
                                > one of the best dramas on television. I think the advent of more adult
                                > dramatic SF getting away from the space opera has gained a lot of
                                > respect for the genre.

                                Oh, all right-- you GOT me!!! :-)

                                I can't help it; I'm used to the negative attitude of critics. Besides,
                                where I live, the local and regional critics still seem to be very
                                anti-SF/Fantasy. But then, when one of them gives a good review to a SF
                                or fantasy film or show, it's doubly meaningful.

                                (To give you and idea-- BOTH critics in the local paper totally dissed
                                "Lord of the Rings". In fact, one of them even went so far as to accuse
                                the Academy of "selling out" by nominating "Return of the King" for
                                Oscars.)

                                --Jackie M

                                > Jackie Moleski <moleskij@... <mailto:moleskij%40execpc.com>>
                                > wrote: Elizabeth Holden wrote:
                                >

                                > > --- Jackie Moleski <moleskij@... <mailto:moleskij%40execpc.com>
                                > > <mailto:moleskij%40execpc.com>> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > There's a couple of Mr. Davies' comments that I find
                                > > > really confusing
                                > > > though. First--his statement that DW fans are
                                > > > mostly men
                                > >
                                > > I think it used to be the case that most Doctor Who
                                > > fans were male, but no longer. I know a lot of Doctor
                                > > Who fans, both male and Female.
                                > >
                                > > > The second one was his comments about forums where
                                > > > the fans *don't* like *Torchwood*?
                                > >
                                > > They may exist - since I have gravitated to the venues
                                > > where fans love Torchwood, I haven't come across that.
                                > > Though I know fans who dislike one character or
                                > > another, and I even know one who doesn't like Captain
                                > > Jack. Can you imagine?
                                > >
                                > > The only negative comments I've seen about Torchwood
                                > > have been from some (but not a majority) of the
                                > > professional critics.
                                > >
                                > > namaste,
                                > > Elizabeth
                                > >

                                > Hi--
                                >
                                > Well THAT's interesting-- considering the incredibly GOOD reviews the
                                > new, updated version of *Doctor Who* got-- it even got good reviews in
                                > the States, much to my surprise. (NOT to say DW and TW don't *deserve*
                                > good reviews, they do--but I'm used to professional reviewers dissing SF
                                > shows).
                                >
                                > Oh-- I think the "male fans" stereotype is definately an old and
                                > outdated one. Even for the original *Star Trek*, though the media
                                > stereotype is for "geeky guys" as fans-- in reality it was mostly women
                                > who organized the famous (or infamous) letter-writing compaigns and kept
                                > the show alive in fanzines. (See *Enterprising Women* by Camille
                                > Bacon-Smith and/or *Textual Poachers* by Henry Jenkins).
                                >
                                > --Jackie
                                >

                                > Patrick Power
                                > Proud Founder of The Bug-Eyed Monster Society!!!
                                > The B.E.M. Society Yahoo Group Main Page:
                                >
                                > Are you into Sci Fi, Fantasy & Horror? Are You Looking for Your
                                > Soulmate? Try The Sci Fi Soulmates Yahoo Group!
                                >
                                > The Bug-Eyed Monster Society CBR Project
                                > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885
                                > <http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885>
                                >
                                > Patrick's KISS & Other Rock-n-Roll Stuff
                                > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826
                                > <http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826>
                                >
                                > On The Air (Old Time Radio files)
                                > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1074887
                                > <http://www.savefile.com/projects/1074887>
                                >
                                > "A life lived without passion is a life not lived."

                              • Patrick Power
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 6 11:09 PM
                                  I don't like critics in general and ignore them. I think they are completely useless, really. I am smart enough to figure out whether I want to see a movie. A bad reveiw isn't going to change my mind if I want to see it badly enough. Besides, 90% of the time, I disagree with the critics anyway. I don't how many times I tried to watch The French Lieutenant's Woman because the critics all raved about. Yet, it bored me to tears. It also started a life long hate affair for me with Meryl Streep, but that is another topic entirely.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 7 11:01 AM
                                    Patrick Power wrote:

                                    > I don't like critics in general and ignore them. I think they are
                                    > completely useless, really. I am smart enough to figure out whether I
                                    > want to see a movie. A bad reveiw isn't going to change my mind if I
                                    > want to see it badly enough. Besides, 90% of the time, I disagree with
                                    > the critics anyway. I don't how many times I tried to watch The French
                                    > Lieutenant's Woman because the critics all raved about. Yet, it bored
                                    > me to tears. It also started a life long hate affair for me with Meryl
                                    > Streep, but that is another topic entirely.

                                    Hi,

                                    I understand and agree with what you are saying-- other than the
                                    over-generalisation. I kinda' have a love/hate relationship with film
                                    critics. Not all of them are the same. And many film critics are
                                    notoriously inconsistant. Most of that comes from the fact that I LOVE
                                    classic film (classic arbitrarily defined as "before 1950"). One of my
                                    favorite college classes was Film Studies-- and I liked it *because* I
                                    got to watch a lot of films I normally wouldn't have watched, many of
                                    which I truly liked! So something like Roger Ebert's commentaries for
                                    "Citizen Kane" and "Casablanca" I found to be genuiningly interesting
                                    and informative.

                                    OTOH, it seems like a lot of critics ARE prejudiced against certain
                                    types of movies-- or, at the very least, they totally miss the point
                                    that for a lot of people --films are an escape, a "fun night out", and
                                    for that audience, they could care less about the artistic merit of a
                                    film. (And critics like the ones for my local paper than dissed "Lord
                                    of the Rings" are incredibly ignorant. For example, that critic had *no
                                    idea* LotR was based on a novel. In fact, she insisted that LotR and
                                    "Master and Commander" were *original screenplays*, not adapted works!
                                    If you can imagine...)

                                    Anyway, I can generally make up my own mind about the films I'm going to
                                    watch too! Usually based on the ads/previews, and advice from friends.
                                    (For example I have an aversion to horror movies, because I don't like
                                    gore, but if something comes up that looks interesting-- I'll try to get
                                    some friendly advice about whether or not I should give it a try. I'm
                                    currently looking for advice about "The Number 23".)

                                    --Jackie M