Re: [torchwood] Torchwood Before Series 2?

  • John R. Clark IV
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 25, 2006
      there are some references and premises in torchwood that link to dr who,
      but you wont be lost, the main reference so far is from the final episode
      to season one, just my opinion tho, havent seen ep 2 of torchwood, i ll
      watch that tomorrow nite, hope this helps

      john

      --- Mustafa Hirji <mustafa.hirji@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm a Canadian who's studying in Ireland for a few months. I, however,
      > haven't been able to see Doctor Who Series 2 yet (will be seeing it in
      > January when I get the region 1 DVD). I am, however, currently able to
      > see Torchwood.
      >
      > I'm wondering if you recommend seeing Torchwood without seeing Series
      > 2, or if you recommend seeing it after I've seen Series 2?
      >
      > - Mustafa Hirji

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Elizabeth Holden
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 25, 2006
        --- Mustafa Hirji <mustafa.hirji@...> wrote:

        > I'm a Canadian

        Hi Mustafa! (Waving.) Another Canadian here, in
        Ottawa.

        > who's studying in Ireland for a few
        > months.

        A lovely country.

        > I'm wondering if you recommend seeing Torchwood
        > without seeing Series
        > 2, or if you recommend seeing it after I've seen
        > Series 2?

        Well, there is continuity that makes Torchwood come
        events that happened in season 2 - and of course I can
        only speak for the first two episodes.

        But I would think that these references are immaterial
        enough, and unclear enough, that they wouldn't be
        serious spoilers and they wouldn't be important enough
        to the plot to confuse you or make a difference. It's
        helpful to know season 1 events - that Jack was in the
        Blitz, that he was abandoned on the Game Station.

        It also depends how particular you are. Have you seen
        The Christmas Invasion?

        My advice would be: watch and enjoy.

        namaste,
        Elizabeth
      • Colin
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 2006
          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Mustafa Hirji" <mustafa.hirji@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I'm a Canadian who's studying in Ireland for a few months. I,
          however, haven't been able to see Doctor Who Series 2 yet (will be
          seeing it in January when I get the region 1 DVD). I am, however,
          currently able to see Torchwood.
          > I'm wondering if you recommend seeing Torchwood without seeing Series
          > 2, or if you recommend seeing it after I've seen Series 2?

          It might reveal a bit more information about Torchwood's background,
          but that certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't watch Torchwood if
          anything think of it as a convenient hidden extra.
          The Doctor Dances however and a couple of first season episodes might
          enhance it just as much.
        • Mustafa Hirji
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 25, 2006
            > It also depends how particular you are. Have you seen
            > The Christmas Invasion?

            I have seen the Christmas Invasion. (I've even seen the first half of
            New Earth while on an airplaine, but sadly, they cut me off because
            the flight was landing :-( ).

            I think the biggest thing I'm worried about are Series 2 spoilers in
            Torchwood. It sounds like there haven't been any so far.

            - Mustafa Hirji
          • Elizabeth Holden
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 26, 2006
              --- Mustafa Hirji <mustafa.hirji@...> wrote:

              > I have seen the Christmas Invasion. (I've even seen
              > the first half of New Earth while on an airplaine,
              > but sadly, they cut me off because
              > the flight was landing :-( ).

              Oh, no - that's cruel!

              > I think the biggest thing I'm worried about are
              > Series 2 spoilers in
              > Torchwood. It sounds like there haven't been any so
              > far.

              So far, not that you'd notice. There's a reference
              that I really think wouldn't mean much because you
              wouldn't know that it was referring to season 2
              events.

              namaste,
              Elizabeth
            • Keith A. Glass
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 26, 2006
                Au contraire:

                There was a mention, in the bar scene in "Everything Changes",
                about the Cybermen-Dalek invasion, and that Gwen's boyfriend
                thought it was all rubbish. . .

                So there IS evidence Torchwood takes place after the events of Season 2. . .

                Elizabeth Holden wrote:

                --- Mustafa Hirji <mustafa.hirji@ gmail.com> wrote:

                > I have seen the Christmas Invasion. (I've even seen
                > the first half of New Earth while on an airplaine,
                > but sadly, they cut me off because
                > the flight was landing :-( ).

                Oh, no - that's cruel!

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 26, 2006

                  .

                  > So there IS evidence Torchwood takes place after the
                  > events of Season 2. . .

                  Oh, yes, I don't deny that. Just that if you haven't
                  seen season 2, it wouldn't be a spoiler, because you
                  wouldn't know what it was referring to or what the
                  invasion was.

                  namaste,
                  Elizabeth
                • Bridgette Ward