Torchwood Before Series 2?

  • Mustafa Hirji
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 25, 2006
      Hi all,

      I'm a Canadian who's studying in Ireland for a few months. I, however,
      haven't been able to see Doctor Who Series 2 yet (will be seeing it in
      January when I get the region 1 DVD). I am, however, currently able to
      see Torchwood.

      I'm wondering if you recommend seeing Torchwood without seeing Series
      2, or if you recommend seeing it after I've seen Series 2?

      - Mustafa Hirji
    • John R. Clark IV
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 25, 2006
        there are some references and premises in torchwood that link to dr who,
        but you wont be lost, the main reference so far is from the final episode
        to season one, just my opinion tho, havent seen ep 2 of torchwood, i ll
        watch that tomorrow nite, hope this helps

        john

        --- Mustafa Hirji <mustafa.hirji@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm a Canadian who's studying in Ireland for a few months. I, however,
        > haven't been able to see Doctor Who Series 2 yet (will be seeing it in
        > January when I get the region 1 DVD). I am, however, currently able to
        > see Torchwood.
        >
        > I'm wondering if you recommend seeing Torchwood without seeing Series
        > 2, or if you recommend seeing it after I've seen Series 2?
        >
        > - Mustafa Hirji

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Elizabeth Holden
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 2006
          --- Mustafa Hirji <mustafa.hirji@...> wrote:

          > I'm a Canadian

          Hi Mustafa! (Waving.) Another Canadian here, in
          Ottawa.

          > who's studying in Ireland for a few
          > months.

          A lovely country.

          > I'm wondering if you recommend seeing Torchwood
          > without seeing Series
          > 2, or if you recommend seeing it after I've seen
          > Series 2?

          Well, there is continuity that makes Torchwood come
          events that happened in season 2 - and of course I can
          only speak for the first two episodes.

          But I would think that these references are immaterial
          enough, and unclear enough, that they wouldn't be
          serious spoilers and they wouldn't be important enough
          to the plot to confuse you or make a difference. It's
          helpful to know season 1 events - that Jack was in the
          Blitz, that he was abandoned on the Game Station.

          It also depends how particular you are. Have you seen
          The Christmas Invasion?

          My advice would be: watch and enjoy.

          namaste,
          Elizabeth
        • Colin
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 25, 2006
            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Mustafa Hirji" <mustafa.hirji@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I'm a Canadian who's studying in Ireland for a few months. I,
            however, haven't been able to see Doctor Who Series 2 yet (will be
            seeing it in January when I get the region 1 DVD). I am, however,
            currently able to see Torchwood.
            > I'm wondering if you recommend seeing Torchwood without seeing Series
            > 2, or if you recommend seeing it after I've seen Series 2?

            It might reveal a bit more information about Torchwood's background,
            but that certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't watch Torchwood if
            anything think of it as a convenient hidden extra.
            The Doctor Dances however and a couple of first season episodes might
            enhance it just as much.
          • Mustafa Hirji
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 25, 2006
              > It also depends how particular you are. Have you seen
              > The Christmas Invasion?

              I have seen the Christmas Invasion. (I've even seen the first half of
              New Earth while on an airplaine, but sadly, they cut me off because
              the flight was landing :-( ).

              I think the biggest thing I'm worried about are Series 2 spoilers in
              Torchwood. It sounds like there haven't been any so far.

              - Mustafa Hirji
            • Elizabeth Holden
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 26, 2006
                --- Mustafa Hirji <mustafa.hirji@...> wrote:

                > I have seen the Christmas Invasion. (I've even seen
                > the first half of New Earth while on an airplaine,
                > but sadly, they cut me off because
                > the flight was landing :-( ).

                Oh, no - that's cruel!

                > I think the biggest thing I'm worried about are
                > Series 2 spoilers in
                > Torchwood. It sounds like there haven't been any so
                > far.

                So far, not that you'd notice. There's a reference
                that I really think wouldn't mean much because you
                wouldn't know that it was referring to season 2
                events.

                namaste,
                Elizabeth
              • Keith A. Glass
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 26, 2006
                  Au contraire:

                  There was a mention, in the bar scene in "Everything Changes",
                  about the Cybermen-Dalek invasion, and that Gwen's boyfriend
                  thought it was all rubbish. . .

                  So there IS evidence Torchwood takes place after the events of Season 2. . .

                  Elizabeth Holden wrote:

                  --- Mustafa Hirji <mustafa.hirji@ gmail.com> wrote:

                  > I have seen the Christmas Invasion. (I've even seen
                  > the first half of New Earth while on an airplaine,
                  > but sadly, they cut me off because
                  > the flight was landing :-( ).

                  Oh, no - that's cruel!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 26, 2006

                    .

                    > So there IS evidence Torchwood takes place after the
                    > events of Season 2. . .

                    Oh, yes, I don't deny that. Just that if you haven't
                    seen season 2, it wouldn't be a spoiler, because you
                    wouldn't know what it was referring to or what the
                    invasion was.

                    namaste,
                    Elizabeth
                  • Bridgette Ward