Re: [torchwood] (One of) The Seven Best British TV Shows Unavailable on American DVD

  • Jackie Moleski
    Message 1 of 51 , Mar 4, 2007
      Russ wrote:

      > And while you're waiting you might try an electromagnet on of that
      > green shadow you've got. It's probably caused by a speaker anyway
      > (magnets in them). Just keep all video, audio, and computer disks away
      > from it if you try it!
      >
      > Russ
      > Groovy Channel 27

      ???

      Okay, I am confused. I don't have external speakers hooked-up to the
      TV, (just the ones that came with the set and are part of it,, like
      internally). However, I do have an entertainment center with all my
      other stuff to the right of the TV, including: Satellite decoder 1 (for
      our old 6-foot dish)-- this is currently NOT working and probably isn't
      even plugged in, Satellite Decoder 2 for Direct TV (this is my working
      decoder), DVD Player (my R2 Daewoo), then below the TV on a shelf is the
      VCR (yep, I still have one of them!). (oh, and I know I shouldn't, but
      lots of VHS tapes get piled-up around the components and spare shelves
      of my entertainment center)

      Does this help?

      --Jackie M

    • Jackie Moleski
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 7, 2007
        Russ wrote:

        > Your TV's internal speaker has caused the problem. When I got my last
        > set some 20 years ago I removed the speaker from it and I listen
        > through the stereo. Sure, it's lost some color but at least it's all
        > the same color. Your TV needs to be degaussed, and there are things
        > around the house that you can use. Go here for more info:
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degauss
        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degauss>
        >
        > Sounds a bit like something out of Doctor Who doesn't it? Just be
        > careful not to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!

        Ah!!! Now you're talking my language. We talked about Degaussing in my
        A+ class. We even talked about how having your speakers too close to
        the monitor, could cause the monitor to have "issues".
        Somehow, I never connected that info to the large green or small purple
        blotches on the TV, I just figured it needed to be replaced (it IS an
        old TV).

        Thanks for the info and the link!

        --Jackie M