Re: [torchwood] (One of) The Seven Best British TV Shows Unavailable on American DVD

  • Patrick Power
    Message 1 of 51 , Mar 3 10:27 PM
      Jackie, I would actually wait for a few months anyway.There is a company coming out with a laser display HD format TV sometime in the fall that will cost much less and will drive down the prices on other formats drastically, from what I have read. I am trying to hang on for about six month, or until Xmas sales. I also am hoping to buy a house in the near future and don't feel like moving a big TV.

      Jackie Moleski <moleskij@...> wrote: Patrick Power wrote:

      > Actually, if a film or tv show is 4x3, the TV actually shows in in
      > that format. It is kind of weird as that it kind of centers it in a
      > black box. But, it really isn't that much different than watching a
      > film in letterbox with the black bars at top and bottom. The eyes get
      > used to it pretty quickly and don;t notice it.

      Oh! I didn't know widescreen TVs/HD TVs did that (I obviously don't own
      one yet). Well, that is cool, tho'--as long as the aspect ratio is
      preserved, I'm happy. I do need to replace my standard TV (the picture
      tube is going, I've got a green shadow on the top right-hand corner of
      the screen). I'm thinking of LCD or plasma, tho' the thought of paying
      $800 to $1000 for a TV set gives me the shudders. Any advice on
      .urls/boards/etc to look at for reviews and advice? I DON'T want to
      hear a hard-sell (I'm hoping the old TV will last 'til next Fall), but I
      am interested in starting some research. Thanks!

      --Jackie

      Patrick Power

      The Bug-Eyed Monster Society CBR Project
      http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885

      Patrick's KISS & Other Rock-n-Roll Stuff
      http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826

      On The Air (Old Time Radio files)
      http://www.savefile.com/projects/1074887

    • Jackie Moleski
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 7 7:51 PM
        Russ wrote:

        > Your TV's internal speaker has caused the problem. When I got my last
        > set some 20 years ago I removed the speaker from it and I listen
        > through the stereo. Sure, it's lost some color but at least it's all
        > the same color. Your TV needs to be degaussed, and there are things
        > around the house that you can use. Go here for more info:
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degauss
        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degauss>
        >
        > Sounds a bit like something out of Doctor Who doesn't it? Just be
        > careful not to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!

        Ah!!! Now you're talking my language. We talked about Degaussing in my
        A+ class. We even talked about how having your speakers too close to
        the monitor, could cause the monitor to have "issues".
        Somehow, I never connected that info to the large green or small purple
        blotches on the TV, I just figured it needed to be replaced (it IS an
        old TV).

        Thanks for the info and the link!

        --Jackie M