Re: [torchwood] (One of) The Seven Best British TV Shows Unavailable on American DVD

  • Lynn
    Message 1 of 51 , Mar 3, 2007
      From: Jackie Moleski <moleskij@...>

      >I'm thinking of LCD or plasma, tho' the thought of paying
      >$800 to $1000 for a TV set gives me the shudders. Any advice on
      >.urls/boards/etc to look at for reviews and advice? I DON'T want to
      >hear a hard-sell (I'm hoping the old TV will last 'til next Fall), but I
      >am interested in starting some research. Thanks!

      It depends what size you want, but if you want a living-room sized TV (36" and above), $1000 is still at the pretty low end, IMO. If you want a 20" or something, you can get a good one for that amount.

      You might start here: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/

      I also did a lot of research at the AVS Forums, and found help there on
      using the TV's features, as well as the HD content available. For TV's, most models/model families have their own threads:

      Rear Projection Units: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63
      Plasma Units: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=167
      Other types, in the Display index: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

      I have other links on my del.icio page:
      http://del.icio.us/whitearrow/

      You might check the links I have bundled under HomeTheater, especially htinfo, hidef, and htforums.

      Hope that helps.
      -lynn
    • Jackie Moleski
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 7, 2007
        Russ wrote:

        > Your TV's internal speaker has caused the problem. When I got my last
        > set some 20 years ago I removed the speaker from it and I listen
        > through the stereo. Sure, it's lost some color but at least it's all
        > the same color. Your TV needs to be degaussed, and there are things
        > around the house that you can use. Go here for more info:
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degauss
        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degauss>
        >
        > Sounds a bit like something out of Doctor Who doesn't it? Just be
        > careful not to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!

        Ah!!! Now you're talking my language. We talked about Degaussing in my
        A+ class. We even talked about how having your speakers too close to
        the monitor, could cause the monitor to have "issues".
        Somehow, I never connected that info to the large green or small purple
        blotches on the TV, I just figured it needed to be replaced (it IS an
        old TV).

        Thanks for the info and the link!

        --Jackie M