Re: [torchwood] (One of) The Seven Best British TV Shows Unavailable on American DVD

  • Will Vigar
    Message 1 of 51 , Mar 3, 2007
      On 03/03/07, Jackie Moleski <moleskij@...> wrote:

      > Patrick Power wrote:
      >
      > > Actually, if a film or tv show is 4x3, the TV actually shows in in
      > > that format. It is kind of weird as that it kind of centers it in a
      > > black box. But, it really isn't that much different than watching a
      > > film in letterbox with the black bars at top and bottom. The eyes get
      > > used to it pretty quickly and don;t notice it.
      > >

      > Oh! I didn't know widescreen TVs/HD TVs did that (I obviously don't own
      > one yet). Well, that is cool, tho'--as long as the aspect ratio is
      > preserved, I'm happy. I do need to replace my standard TV (the picture
      > tube is going, I've got a green shadow on the top right-hand corner of
      > the screen). I'm thinking of LCD or plasma, tho' the thought of paying
      > $800 to $1000 for a TV set gives me the shudders. Any advice on
      > .urls/boards/etc to look at for reviews and advice? I DON'T want to
      > hear a hard-sell (I'm hoping the old TV will last 'til next Fall), but I
      > am interested in starting some research. Thanks!

      Practicalities: Plasma screens, for my money, given a better picture
      than LCD, HOWEVER, and this is a really important point if you are
      spending enormous amounts of money.....plasmas screens don't last very
      long before they burn out 3-4 years, tops.

      LCDs are are longer lasting (6-7 years) and give a very good picture,
      but I tend to get a bit motion sick after an hour or
      so.....occaisionally you get a dead pixel which is really annoying,
      but I'd rather that tha no picture at all.....

      What wrong with yer good old cathode ray, eh? :-)

      Actually, I'm sort of getting used to LCD now......but it took some time..
      --
      "A Knife and Fork in a World of Soup"
    • Jackie Moleski
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 7, 2007
        Russ wrote:

        > Your TV's internal speaker has caused the problem. When I got my last
        > set some 20 years ago I removed the speaker from it and I listen
        > through the stereo. Sure, it's lost some color but at least it's all
        > the same color. Your TV needs to be degaussed, and there are things
        > around the house that you can use. Go here for more info:
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degauss
        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degauss>
        >
        > Sounds a bit like something out of Doctor Who doesn't it? Just be
        > careful not to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!

        Ah!!! Now you're talking my language. We talked about Degaussing in my
        A+ class. We even talked about how having your speakers too close to
        the monitor, could cause the monitor to have "issues".
        Somehow, I never connected that info to the large green or small purple
        blotches on the TV, I just figured it needed to be replaced (it IS an
        old TV).

        Thanks for the info and the link!

        --Jackie M