Captain Harkness rides to the rescue at stables

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2007
      Captain Harkness rides to the rescue at stables

      []

      John Barrowman

      Captain Jack Harkness coming face to face with the son of Dr Fong sounds
      like just the latest synopsis for an episode of hit BBC Dr Who spin-off
      show, Torchwood.

      But the two really will come face-to-face in a village near Maidstone later
      this month.

      And rather than some strange alien creature, Dr Fong is a stallion whose
      offspring is a thoroughbred racehorse.

      What's more, in a tribute to the time-travelling character, he has been
      named after the role filled by actor John Barrowman.

      Hucking Harkness is trained by John Best, whose stables are at Hucking and
      is one of the horses owned by the Hucking Horses syndicate.

      Best, who trains a string of 50 racehorses from his yard, said: "We were
      discussing the Hucking Horses and this colt - a son of the stallion Dr Fong
      - stood out as a tricky one to name.

      "Somebody mentioned Dr Who and from there we reached Captain Jack - and
      Hucking Harkness was born.

      "We got in touch with John Barrowman's connections to see what they thought
      of us using the name and they loved the idea."

      And so Barrowman will travel to the stables on March 30 to see his
      character's namesake.

      Barrowman said: "I can't wait to meet the colt and I'm hoping to see him race.

      "It's straight out of a Torchwood script - two Harknesses in the same place
      at the same time!"

      POSTED: 02/03/2007 13:53:25
      http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/Captain-Harkness-rides-to-the-rescue-at-stables-newsinkent3024.aspx