Re: [torchwood] (One of) The Seven Best British TV Shows Unavailable on American DVD

  • Patrick Power
    Message 1 of 51 , Mar 1, 2007
      Actually, if a film or tv show is 4x3, the TV actually shows in in that format. It is kind of weird as that it kind of centers it in a black box. But, it really isn't that much different than watching a film in letterbox with the black bars at top and bottom. The eyes get used to it pretty quickly and don;t notice it.

      Jackie Moleski <moleskij@...> wrote: Patrick Power wrote:

      > All this region encoding stuff is nonsense and there are plenty of
      > companies selling non-r1 stuff on the internet, so the illegality of
      > that is obviously shaky at best, or all of them would be busted. I
      > really want to invest in a region free player, myself, but am kind of
      > waiting until I can upgrade ot HD.
      >
      > Patrick Power

      Yeah-- it's all a game. Hollywood, especially, imposed region-coding on
      DVD players to control what content was available where (and there's a
      lot of playing around with pricing).

      Word on the street (or Slashdot) is that Blu-ray is pulling ahead of
      HD-DVD in sales and *may* become the leader, just fyi.

      My concern with HD-DVD, and HD-TV for that matter is "What about classic
      films?" Forcing a 4x3 movie into a wide-screen format is just as much
      of a bad idea as forcing a widescreen movie into a 4x3 format. Both
      cause distortation and destroy the director's "vision" of the film.
      Yet I have been unable to find a single word *anywhere*-- on-line, in
      film journals, etc, about what HD would do to the classics. (Or TV for
      that matter, which was also 4x3 until very recently).

      I suppose I'd like to see just what an HD television set would do with a
      copy of "Casablanca", you know? (Ideally, you'd get vertical black bars
      on the right and left edges of the screen. Just like a normal screen
      has black bars on the top and bottom when you watch a widescreen movie).

      --Jackie

      > Proud Founder of The Bug-Eyed Monster Society!!!
      > The B.E.M. Society Yahoo Group Main Page:
      >
      > Are you into Sci Fi, Fantasy & Horror? Are You Looking for Your
      > Soulmate? Try The Sci Fi Soulmates Yahoo Group!
      >
      > The Bug-Eyed Monster Society CBR Project
      > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885
      > <http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885>
      >
      > Patrick's KISS & Other Rock-n-Roll Stuff
      > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826
      > <http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826>
      >
      > On The Air (Old Time Radio files)
      > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1074887
      > <http://www.savefile.com/projects/1074887>
      >
      > "A life lived without passion is a life not lived."

      Patrick Power

      The Bug-Eyed Monster Society CBR Project
      http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885

      Patrick's KISS & Other Rock-n-Roll Stuff
      http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826

      On The Air (Old Time Radio files)
      http://www.savefile.com/projects/1074887

    • Jackie Moleski
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 7, 2007
        Russ wrote:

        > Your TV's internal speaker has caused the problem. When I got my last
        > set some 20 years ago I removed the speaker from it and I listen
        > through the stereo. Sure, it's lost some color but at least it's all
        > the same color. Your TV needs to be degaussed, and there are things
        > around the house that you can use. Go here for more info:
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degauss
        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degauss>
        >
        > Sounds a bit like something out of Doctor Who doesn't it? Just be
        > careful not to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!

        Ah!!! Now you're talking my language. We talked about Degaussing in my
        A+ class. We even talked about how having your speakers too close to
        the monitor, could cause the monitor to have "issues".
        Somehow, I never connected that info to the large green or small purple
        blotches on the TV, I just figured it needed to be replaced (it IS an
        old TV).

        Thanks for the info and the link!

        --Jackie M