Re: [torchwood] Re: Torchwood This Week - October 18, 2006

  • Bolton Guy
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
      Well, the difference was contained in the way the words were written.

      I am quite conservative in some of my views, but if anyone ever called me a Conservative, they would apologise through a court  judgement with appropriate compensation attached.

      And as this is a group devoted the the wonderful and gorgeous John Barrowman, let's not forget that John has declared his intention to enter into a civil partnership with Scott., his partner of 14 years or so.  The Conservatives voted against civil partnerships all the way through the legislative process - just as they voted against equality of the age of consent.

      I know through  personal experience  that not all "Conservatives are alienated by gays", but the Conservatives at large have done nothing - ever - to recognise the validity of gay relationships.  Any support shown by the mealy-mouthed leaders of today'sTory party incumbents is not borne out by their parliamentary and extra-parliamentary attitudes towards the sweeping changes that have given recognition to the rights of gay people over the last nine and a half years.

      It's not fashionable to congratulate the Labour Government,  but, as I said above, some of my views are conservative, so I will withstand fashion and say "Thank-you, Tony and your party for giving gay people the governmental  and legislative respect and dignity that we deserve".

      Michael

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
         Elizabeth replied . . .

        --- "Keith A. Glass" <salgak@speakeasy. net> wrote:

        > Ahem. Not all
        > Conservatives are alienated by
        gays.

        Heh - I know. I was trying to find a word more neutral
        and vague than 'homophobe'. No offense intended to
        any Conservatives in our midst!

        Well, TECHNICALLY I'm a Republican, of a Libertarian bent, but. . .

        > And besides, although John Harrowman is gay, I got
        > the
        impression
        > that Captain Jack was trysexual. . . he'd try

        ANYTHING sexual.

        Yup. I like that in a man.

        So does Capt. Jack.

        > We're talking Captain
        Kirk on steroids. .. (grin)

        Sounds like fun.

        As opposed, of course, to William Shatner. . .

        .

      • Keith A. Glass
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
          I said I was a Conservative.  I didn't say I was a Tory. . .

          Wrong side of the pond for that, and by the standards on THIS side of the Pond, the Tories aren't
          all that Conservative either. . .

          But enough of politics.  After all...  we DO know the genesis of the word, do we not ?

          Let's review:

          Poli = Greek root, meaning "many"

          Ticks = small, bloodsucking vermin

          It explains much . . . .

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
            --- "Keith A. Glass" <salgak@...> wrote:

            > Well, TECHNICALLY I'm a Republican, of a Libertarian
            > bent, but. . .

            Heh. I'm never sure how these terms translate from one
            country to another. I tend to avoid political labels,
            myself.

            > > And besides, although John Harrowman is gay, I got
            > > the impression
            > > that Captain Jack was trysexual. . . he'd try
            > > ANYTHING sexual.
            >
            > Yup. I like that in a man.
            >
            > So does Capt. Jack.

            One of many reasons to admire him. There are others.

            namaste,
            Elizabeth