Re: Torchwood This Week - October 18, 2006

  • welshjohnny
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin Elliott" <bfelliott@...>
      wrote:

      > The current version of Doctor Who is aimed at "family" audiences,
      > while Torchwood is aimed at "adult" audiences after the 9PM UK
      > programming watershed. There is every reason to believe that there
      > will be more gore, violence, coarser language, and sexual innuendo
      > than Doctor Who. If you have children who may be interested in this
      > series, pre-screen the episodes first to ensure that the material is
      > appropriate. If not, they still have Doctor Who, and The Sarah Jane
      > Adventures will be aimed at a younger audience when it arrives in
      > 2007.

      It's definitely not for kiddies!
      The gay content of the show is definitely going to, 'ahem' alienate
      viewers.
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      The scene with the young couple in the nightclub and their subsequent
      both going off with the sex alien for instance. Similarly the episode
      with the paedophile and the killer fairies.
      Torchwood plays very heavily on its sexuality,and it's going to be
      interesting how this goes down 'groan' with the viewing public.
      Roll on Sunday!
    • Elizabeth Holden
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
        --- welshjohnny <gothamjack@...> wrote:

        > It's definitely not for kiddies!

        Good.

        > The gay content of the show is definitely going to,
        > 'ahem' alienate viewers.

        My belief is that it will gain as many (like me) as it
        will alienate. Television tends to cater, in general,
        to the conservative crowd: I'm delighted to see shows
        that don't, but which cater instead to the gay and
        gay-friendly audiences. Of which there are plenty. I
        suspect there are even some audiences who don't care
        either way, they just want a good story.

        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > Similarly the episode
        > with the paedophile and the killer fairies.

        Heh.

        > Torchwood plays very heavily on its sexuality,

        I'm glad to hear that.

        > and it's going to be
        > interesting how this goes down 'groan' with the
        > viewing public. Roll on Sunday!

        I'm hoping to be able to see it Tuesday. My fingers
        are crossed.

        namaste,
        Elizabeth
        geographically challenged once again
      • Keith A. Glass
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
           Elizabeth Holden  intoned. . .

           >> The gay content of the show is definitely going to,
           >  'ahem' alienate viewers.

           > My belief is that it will gain as many (like me) as it
           > will alienate. Television tends to cater, in general,
           > to the conservative crowd: I'm delighted to see shows
           > that don't, but which cater instead to the gay and
           > gay-friendly audiences. Of which there are plenty. I
           > suspect there are even some audiences who don't care
           > either way, they just want a good story.

          .
           Ahem.  Not all Conservatives are alienated by gays.

          And besides, although John Harrowman is gay, I got the impression
          that Captain Jack was trysexual. . .  he'd try ANYTHING sexual.

          We're talking Captain Kirk on steroids. ..   (grin)

        • Elizabeth Holden
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
            --- "Keith A. Glass" <salgak@...> wrote:

            > Ahem. Not all
            > Conservatives are alienated by gays.

            Heh - I know. I was trying to find a word more neutral
            and vague than 'homophobe'. No offense intended to
            any Conservatives in our midst!

            > And besides, although John Harrowman is gay, I got
            > the impression
            > that Captain Jack was trysexual. . . he'd try
            > ANYTHING sexual.

            Yup. I like that in a man.

            > We're talking Captain Kirk on steroids. .. (grin)

            Sounds like fun.

            namaste,
            Elizabeth
          • Bolton Guy
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
              Well, the difference was contained in the way the words were written.

              I am quite conservative in some of my views, but if anyone ever called me a Conservative, they would apologise through a court  judgement with appropriate compensation attached.

              And as this is a group devoted the the wonderful and gorgeous John Barrowman, let's not forget that John has declared his intention to enter into a civil partnership with Scott., his partner of 14 years or so.  The Conservatives voted against civil partnerships all the way through the legislative process - just as they voted against equality of the age of consent.

              I know through  personal experience  that not all "Conservatives are alienated by gays", but the Conservatives at large have done nothing - ever - to recognise the validity of gay relationships.  Any support shown by the mealy-mouthed leaders of today'sTory party incumbents is not borne out by their parliamentary and extra-parliamentary attitudes towards the sweeping changes that have given recognition to the rights of gay people over the last nine and a half years.

              It's not fashionable to congratulate the Labour Government,  but, as I said above, some of my views are conservative, so I will withstand fashion and say "Thank-you, Tony and your party for giving gay people the governmental  and legislative respect and dignity that we deserve".

              Michael

              Heh - I know. I was trying to find a word more neutral
              and vague than 'homophobe'. No offense intended to
              any Conservatives in our midst!

              > And besides, although John Harrowman is gay, I got
              > the impression
              > that Captain Jack was trysexual. . . he'd try
              > ANYTHING sexual.

              Yup. I like that in a man.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
                 Elizabeth replied . . .

                --- "Keith A. Glass" <salgak@speakeasy. net> wrote:

                > Ahem. Not all
                > Conservatives are alienated by
                gays.

                Heh - I know. I was trying to find a word more neutral
                and vague than 'homophobe'. No offense intended to
                any Conservatives in our midst!

                Well, TECHNICALLY I'm a Republican, of a Libertarian bent, but. . .

                > And besides, although John Harrowman is gay, I got
                > the
                impression
                > that Captain Jack was trysexual. . . he'd try

                ANYTHING sexual.

                Yup. I like that in a man.

                So does Capt. Jack.

                > We're talking Captain
                Kirk on steroids. .. (grin)

                Sounds like fun.

                As opposed, of course, to William Shatner. . .

                .

              • Keith A. Glass
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
                  I said I was a Conservative.  I didn't say I was a Tory. . .

                  Wrong side of the pond for that, and by the standards on THIS side of the Pond, the Tories aren't
                  all that Conservative either. . .

                  But enough of politics.  After all...  we DO know the genesis of the word, do we not ?

                  Let's review:

                  Poli = Greek root, meaning "many"

                  Ticks = small, bloodsucking vermin

                  It explains much . . . .

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
                    --- "Keith A. Glass" <salgak@...> wrote:

                    > Well, TECHNICALLY I'm a Republican, of a Libertarian
                    > bent, but. . .

                    Heh. I'm never sure how these terms translate from one
                    country to another. I tend to avoid political labels,
                    myself.

                    > > And besides, although John Harrowman is gay, I got
                    > > the impression
                    > > that Captain Jack was trysexual. . . he'd try
                    > > ANYTHING sexual.
                    >
                    > Yup. I like that in a man.
                    >
                    > So does Capt. Jack.

                    One of many reasons to admire him. There are others.

                    namaste,
                    Elizabeth