Torchwood This Week - October 18, 2006

  • Benjamin Elliott
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
      TORCHWOOD THIS WEEK
      by Benjamin F. Elliott
      October 18, 2006
      Volume 1, Number 1
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/torchwood

      Doctor Who's first spinoff to go further than a pilot premieres this
      weekend. Torchwood, the story of the mysterious Torchwood
      organization's Cardiff branch, currently led by Captain Jack
      Harkness, a man with his own secrets. 13 fifty minute episodes are
      being produced for this series, with the potential to make
      additional series in the future. It has roots in Doctor Who but is
      expected to be independent of the parent show.

      Torchwood De-Classified is a documentary tie-in series. We do not
      know how many episodes there are yet. For now they are only airing
      on BBC Three and for UK military forces abroad on BFBS 2 and BFBS
      Navy.

      Torchwood This Week is an effort to keep viewers updated on all
      known broadcasts of Torchwood around the world, much as This Week In
      Doctor Who has done for the senior program for the past 8 years. As
      we learn more about Torchwood, the format may revamp a bit to work
      with the show. If no other stations pick it up before the initial
      broadcasters finish their run, it may stop production briefly until
      Torchwood makes it to other countries. It is only publishing if the
      show is running somewhere.

      The current version of Doctor Who is aimed at "family" audiences,
      while Torchwood is aimed at "adult" audiences after the 9PM UK
      programming watershed. There is every reason to believe that there
      will be more gore, violence, coarser language, and sexual innuendo
      than Doctor Who. If you have children who may be interested in this
      series, pre-screen the episodes first to ensure that the material is
      appropriate. If not, they still have Doctor Who, and The Sarah Jane
      Adventures will be aimed at a younger audience when it arrives in
      2007.

      Enjoy the ride. Here's hoping that Torchwood is a fun, interesting
      show.

      Corrections and updates are welcome at torchwood-
      owner@yahoogroups.com , TWIDW on AIM, and thebfe on Yahoo Messenger.

      Torchwood Website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood
      *Note* - due to rights issues, all the video content on Torchwood's
      website is protected to only be seen in the UK. There is a link out
      there which currently reveals the full website to everyone, but if
      it is publicized it could be taken down. Do a bit of searching and
      it can be found.

      UK Broadcasts:

      BBC Three http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree http://www.radiotimes.com
      Sunday 9PM, 27 October 9PM & 12:50AM BST 1-01 "Everything Changes"
      Series Premiere!
      Sunday 9:50PM, 27 October 10:30PM & 1:40AM BST 1-02 "Day One"
      Late Sunday 1-2:40AM, Tuesday 10:30-12:10AM & 1:10-2:55AM BST 1-01/1-
      02 "Everything Changes/Day One" movie broadcast
      Late Sunday 2:40AM, 27 October 9:50PM BST "Torchwood De-Classified"
      ep 1
      John Barrowman is the focus of episode one, looking into the
      character of Jack Harkness.
      Late Sunday 2:55AM, Late 27 October 2:30AM BST "Torchwood De-
      Classified" ep 2
      Eve Myles is the focus of episode two, looking into the character of
      Gwen Cooper.
      29 October 10PM & 12:20AM, 31 October 10:30PM GMT 1-03 "Ghost
      Machine"
      Late 29 October 1:10AM BST "Torchwood De-Classified" ep 3

      BBC HD http://www.bbc.co.uk/hd
      Sunday 9PM BST 1-01 "Everything Changes" Series Premiere in High
      Definition!
      Sunday 9:50PM BST 1-02 "Day One"

      BBC Two http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo http://www.radiotimes.com
      25 October 9-10:40PM** BST 1-01/1-02 "Everything Changes/Day One"
      (UK Terrestial Premiere!)
      **BBC Two Scotland and BBC Two Scotland Digital indicate that they
      will end the premiere at 10:30PM, giving them only 90 minutes to air
      100 minutes of programme.

      MILITARY:

      BFBS 1
      Monday 9:10PM CET 1-01 "Everything Changes"
      Monday 10PM CET 1-02 "Day One"
      BFBS 2
      27 October 10:30PM CET 1-01 "Everything Changes"
      27 October 11:20PM CET 1-02 "Day One"
      Late 27 October 12:15AM CET "Torchwood De-Classified" ep 1
      Late 27 October 12:30AM CET "Torchwood De-Classified" ep 2
      BFBS Navy
      Monday 9:10PM, 28 October 4:30AM CET 1-01 "Everything Changes"
      Monday 10PM, 28 October 5:20AM CET 1-02 "Day One"
      28 October 6:15AM CET "Torchwood De-Classified" ep 1
      28 October 6:30AM CET "Torchwood De-Classified" ep 2

      Future episodes:
      1-04 "The Trouble With Lisa"
      1-05 "Small Worlds"
      1-06 "Countrycide"
      1-07 "Greeks Bearing Gifts"
      1-08 "They Keep Killing"
      1-09 "Invisible Eugene"
      1-10 "Combat"
      1-11 "Out Of Time"
      1-12 "Captain Jack Harkness"
      1-13 "Apocalypse"

      Thanks for reading. See you next week.

      Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2006.
    • welshjohnny
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin Elliott" <bfelliott@...>
        wrote:

        > The current version of Doctor Who is aimed at "family" audiences,
        > while Torchwood is aimed at "adult" audiences after the 9PM UK
        > programming watershed. There is every reason to believe that there
        > will be more gore, violence, coarser language, and sexual innuendo
        > than Doctor Who. If you have children who may be interested in this
        > series, pre-screen the episodes first to ensure that the material is
        > appropriate. If not, they still have Doctor Who, and The Sarah Jane
        > Adventures will be aimed at a younger audience when it arrives in
        > 2007.

        It's definitely not for kiddies!
        The gay content of the show is definitely going to, 'ahem' alienate
        viewers.
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        The scene with the young couple in the nightclub and their subsequent
        both going off with the sex alien for instance. Similarly the episode
        with the paedophile and the killer fairies.
        Torchwood plays very heavily on its sexuality,and it's going to be
        interesting how this goes down 'groan' with the viewing public.
        Roll on Sunday!
      • Elizabeth Holden
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
          --- welshjohnny <gothamjack@...> wrote:

          > It's definitely not for kiddies!

          Good.

          > The gay content of the show is definitely going to,
          > 'ahem' alienate viewers.

          My belief is that it will gain as many (like me) as it
          will alienate. Television tends to cater, in general,
          to the conservative crowd: I'm delighted to see shows
          that don't, but which cater instead to the gay and
          gay-friendly audiences. Of which there are plenty. I
          suspect there are even some audiences who don't care
          either way, they just want a good story.

          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > Similarly the episode
          > with the paedophile and the killer fairies.

          Heh.

          > Torchwood plays very heavily on its sexuality,

          I'm glad to hear that.

          > and it's going to be
          > interesting how this goes down 'groan' with the
          > viewing public. Roll on Sunday!

          I'm hoping to be able to see it Tuesday. My fingers
          are crossed.

          namaste,
          Elizabeth
          geographically challenged once again
        • Keith A. Glass
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
             Elizabeth Holden  intoned. . .

             >> The gay content of the show is definitely going to,
             >  'ahem' alienate viewers.

             > My belief is that it will gain as many (like me) as it
             > will alienate. Television tends to cater, in general,
             > to the conservative crowd: I'm delighted to see shows
             > that don't, but which cater instead to the gay and
             > gay-friendly audiences. Of which there are plenty. I
             > suspect there are even some audiences who don't care
             > either way, they just want a good story.

            .
             Ahem.  Not all Conservatives are alienated by gays.

            And besides, although John Harrowman is gay, I got the impression
            that Captain Jack was trysexual. . .  he'd try ANYTHING sexual.

            We're talking Captain Kirk on steroids. ..   (grin)

          • Elizabeth Holden
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
              --- "Keith A. Glass" <salgak@...> wrote:

              > Ahem. Not all
              > Conservatives are alienated by gays.

              Heh - I know. I was trying to find a word more neutral
              and vague than 'homophobe'. No offense intended to
              any Conservatives in our midst!

              > And besides, although John Harrowman is gay, I got
              > the impression
              > that Captain Jack was trysexual. . . he'd try
              > ANYTHING sexual.

              Yup. I like that in a man.

              > We're talking Captain Kirk on steroids. .. (grin)

              Sounds like fun.

              namaste,
              Elizabeth
            • Bolton Guy
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
                Well, the difference was contained in the way the words were written.

                I am quite conservative in some of my views, but if anyone ever called me a Conservative, they would apologise through a court  judgement with appropriate compensation attached.

                And as this is a group devoted the the wonderful and gorgeous John Barrowman, let's not forget that John has declared his intention to enter into a civil partnership with Scott., his partner of 14 years or so.  The Conservatives voted against civil partnerships all the way through the legislative process - just as they voted against equality of the age of consent.

                I know through  personal experience  that not all "Conservatives are alienated by gays", but the Conservatives at large have done nothing - ever - to recognise the validity of gay relationships.  Any support shown by the mealy-mouthed leaders of today'sTory party incumbents is not borne out by their parliamentary and extra-parliamentary attitudes towards the sweeping changes that have given recognition to the rights of gay people over the last nine and a half years.

                It's not fashionable to congratulate the Labour Government,  but, as I said above, some of my views are conservative, so I will withstand fashion and say "Thank-you, Tony and your party for giving gay people the governmental  and legislative respect and dignity that we deserve".

                Michael

                Heh - I know. I was trying to find a word more neutral
                and vague than 'homophobe'. No offense intended to
                any Conservatives in our midst!

                > And besides, although John Harrowman is gay, I got
                > the impression
                > that Captain Jack was trysexual. . . he'd try
                > ANYTHING sexual.

                Yup. I like that in a man.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
                   Elizabeth replied . . .

                  --- "Keith A. Glass" <salgak@speakeasy. net> wrote:

                  > Ahem. Not all
                  > Conservatives are alienated by
                  gays.

                  Heh - I know. I was trying to find a word more neutral
                  and vague than 'homophobe'. No offense intended to
                  any Conservatives in our midst!

                  Well, TECHNICALLY I'm a Republican, of a Libertarian bent, but. . .

                  > And besides, although John Harrowman is gay, I got
                  > the
                  impression
                  > that Captain Jack was trysexual. . . he'd try

                  ANYTHING sexual.

                  Yup. I like that in a man.

                  So does Capt. Jack.

                  > We're talking Captain
                  Kirk on steroids. .. (grin)

                  Sounds like fun.

                  As opposed, of course, to William Shatner. . .

                  .

                • Keith A. Glass
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
                    I said I was a Conservative.  I didn't say I was a Tory. . .

                    Wrong side of the pond for that, and by the standards on THIS side of the Pond, the Tories aren't
                    all that Conservative either. . .

                    But enough of politics.  After all...  we DO know the genesis of the word, do we not ?

                    Let's review:

                    Poli = Greek root, meaning "many"

                    Ticks = small, bloodsucking vermin

                    It explains much . . . .

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
                      --- "Keith A. Glass" <salgak@...> wrote:

                      > Well, TECHNICALLY I'm a Republican, of a Libertarian
                      > bent, but. . .

                      Heh. I'm never sure how these terms translate from one
                      country to another. I tend to avoid political labels,
                      myself.

                      > > And besides, although John Harrowman is gay, I got
                      > > the impression
                      > > that Captain Jack was trysexual. . . he'd try
                      > > ANYTHING sexual.
                      >
                      > Yup. I like that in a man.
                      >
                      > So does Capt. Jack.

                      One of many reasons to admire him. There are others.

                      namaste,
                      Elizabeth