8254Re: [torchwood] MD

    Sep 15, 2013
      On 9/15/2013 10:57 AM, Leanne Wilensky wrote:

      Wow. Really? (Sorry for doubting you pfyre.) I think Eve is lovely in person, and she was great on Merlin... I think with a director who DIRECTS here as opposed to "states at her in wonder" - she can do well. I like Eve. I don't like Eve, but I like her. I do NOT like Gwen.

      On Sep 15, 2013, at 10:52 AM, Diana Williams <diana@...> wrote:

      Unfortunately, what pfyre said is true. RTD originally spun a series with Eve called "Excalibur". When that didn't sell, he spun "Torchwood" with her as the second lead and the "Heart of Torchwood". He has talked about both of those things in interviews, although of course he gave it a different spin. He really does think that she is the best Welsh actress ever. I have no idea why. Gwen was also supposed to be everyone's love interest (and Ianto was supposed to be an elderly "Alfred" type character who dies in the Cyberwoman episode) which is why the affair with Owen happened. Unfortunately for Ianto, the fans and the people at the BBC liked Ianto more than Gwen. No one has said anything publicly, but a lot of people think that's why Ianto died in Children of Earth.

      I remember first seeing Eve in Doctor Who and thought she was an okay actress - hardly worthy of huge praise but okay. And then I saw her when the publicity mill started up for Torchwood and I thought she seemed a very nice, genuine sort of person. I watched the early eps of Torchwood series one more than willing to give her and the character of Gwen more than a chance to win me over. Gwen started off poorly and has only gotten worse with each succeeding ep and with each succeeding series. Eve I still held out hope was a genuinely good person as John and so many others have commented about her. Problem is virtually every time I've read or seen and interview with her or article on the series that quotes her - I find myself gnashing my teeth. She completely and absolutely buys into RTD's hype about herself and about Gwen. She's put it out there several times about how Gwen is ready and willing and able to step in and takeover from Jack. She truly sees Torchwood as all about Gwen. Apparently, the idea of her being the viewers' pov works totally for her and never mind that the logic behind the character doesn't work or that the character has never been written sympathetically or even in a 'real' manner. So while I reserved my own judgement on the actress for sometime after I'd become completely and totally disgusted, disillusioned and nauseated by Gwen, I've ultimately decided for myself that Eve just isn't someone I would ever seek out in another project. Heck, I couldn't even force myself to watch Merlin because she was in it early on.

      Again, this is my personal opinion and we all have our own views on most things....
      --

      pfyre

      "The future can change. It's being written right now. But one thing I do know, I've seen the stars. I have seen the universe. I have seen the human race become vast, magnificent and endless. And I wish you could see it, Oswald. I wish you could see that too. 'Cause then you'd know how small you've made your life." Captain Jack Harkness, Torchwood: Miracle Day episode 10 'Bloodlines'

    • Show all 46 messages in this topic