      From: badblokebob <richard@...>
      To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, August 29, 2010 9:50:37 AM
      Subject: [torchwood] Re: Russel T Davies & CoE

      Hear hear!

      CoE wasn't just Torchwood's best story, or one of the best series on last year,
      or one of the best SF/F miniseries ever -- I think it was flat out one of the
      best miniseries I've ever seen, able to stand toe-to-toe with intelligent,
      adult, 'proper' drama like State of Play or Edge of Darkness or [countless other
      examples]. I hope it's remembered that way by the general consensus of TV
      history, because it deserves to be.

      Second point, as well: it was a huge hit. Not just "as well as expected", or
      "quite popular" -- here in the UK at least, it smashed the BBC's expectations
      for what a 5-episode drama shown all in one week during the Summer could do
      ratings-wise. People made a big fuss of Sherlock's success this year, but
      Torchwood more or less did that first. Other series shown in the same way
      (Criminal Justice, for example) didn't do so well, so it's not just a fluke of
      the schedule -- people (ordinary people) wanted to watch it.

      And they stuck with it to the end, too. Ratings fluctuated a bit, of course,
      because that's what ratings do, but they were pretty stable. Most non-fans don't
      stick with a series if they don't like it or think it's too dark or what have
      you, so clearly it was being appreciated by all those millions who tuned in.

      I actually think it's a minority, and mainly a minority among parts of fandom,
      who think CoE was a Torchwood-ruining travesty. I think the wider consensus
      would be that, if anything, it finally realised Torchwood's potential as a
      concept.

      (Mini-rant over, sorry!)