7282Re: Russel T Davies & CoE

  • badblokebob
    Aug 29, 2010
      Hear hear!

      CoE wasn't just Torchwood's best story, or one of the best series on last year, or one of the best SF/F miniseries ever -- I think it was flat out one of the best miniseries I've ever seen, able to stand toe-to-toe with intelligent, adult, 'proper' drama like State of Play or Edge of Darkness or [countless other examples]. I hope it's remembered that way by the general consensus of TV history, because it deserves to be.

      Second point, as well: it was a huge hit. Not just "as well as expected", or "quite popular" -- here in the UK at least, it smashed the BBC's expectations for what a 5-episode drama shown all in one week during the Summer could do ratings-wise. People made a big fuss of Sherlock's success this year, but Torchwood more or less did that first. Other series shown in the same way (Criminal Justice, for example) didn't do so well, so it's not just a fluke of the schedule -- people (ordinary people) wanted to watch it.

      And they stuck with it to the end, too. Ratings fluctuated a bit, of course, because that's what ratings do, but they were pretty stable. Most non-fans don't stick with a series if they don't like it or think it's too dark or what have you, so clearly it was being appreciated by all those millions who tuned in.

      I actually think it's a minority, and mainly a minority among parts of fandom, who think CoE was a Torchwood-ruining travesty. I think the wider consensus would be that, if anything, it finally realised Torchwood's potential as a concept.

      (Mini-rant over, sorry!)

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "gilbeymichael11" <gilbeymichael11@...> wrote:

      > Many have been critical of Davies for some of the things we saw in CoE but if he had made it any different to the way he did I'm not sure we would have a 4th series to look foward to. If a programme is to be a success you have to be bold and do things totally unexpected in order to get your audience's attention, even if some of those things are not approved of by some of the viewers. If CoE had a more predictable plot with the usual fairy tale ending then it would not have had the interest it did and we would probably have seen the last of it. The reason many TV shows fail, particularly American shows, is due to lack of imagination and audience involvement. Only the great shows can rise above being just mass entertainment and I would now number Torchwood among these shows.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic