School Advice

  • Gre Nerd
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 14, 2009

      Hello Everyone,

      This is a really wonderful group and I'm glad to be part of. I wrote my GRE some weeks back and though I'm happy for my Verbal grade, I'm cautiously optimistic over my Quantitative marks since I come from a Computer Science background where the competition in Quantitative is usually strong. I had Verbal - 530 and Quantitative - 640.

      I would like suggestions on schools to apply where it's likely I'll get full scholarship to study for MSc in Computer Science, Computer Science and Entrepreneurship or Economics. And if possible further advise on the admission process.

      Best regards,
      Kobina

    • S.M. Shahriar Nirjon
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 21, 2009
        Hello,
        You did not mention your school and academic results or any extra credentials. But to let you know, good grad schools consider quantative very seriously, and without 800/800 it is almost impossible to get admission let alone funding. Also, MS in USA is something that is usually not funded at all. So, the best you can get with this score is an admission in universities (rank > 70) without any funding. Once you get admission, based on your performance you might get some funding later.

        Regards,

        Nirjon

        UVA

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 23, 2009
          Respected sir,
                              i am a graduate holding a degree in Bsc Agriculture.Now currently doing my masters in Plant Breeding.I would like to write GRE .I want to know whether there is any problem in funding due to economic recession.I will surely get through gre with good scores.I would like to join class on march.I humbly request you to give some technical assistance and advice in this regard.Expecting a favourable response from you.

                                                                                                           yours sincerely,
                                                                                                                             Brindha

          Yahoo! recommends that you upgrade to the new and safer Internet Explorer 8.
        • Anjali Sreedhar
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 25, 2009
            Hello,
                     I'm currently in my third year of Engineering in Bangalore with an average percentage of around 77. Does no college give scholarships to the first year students?

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 27, 2009
              Hello Anjali,

              I'm assuming that you asked about 1st yr graduate studies (MS or PhD).

              Grad students get funding mainly in three ways: (1) Fellowships, (2) RA, (3) TA. The amount of money is more or less the same. This includes all tuition fees and actually you get a decent amount of money to live a nice life.

              Fellowship- is the best case, which is awarded to highly tallented students by the government or any other agencies or the school itself. So, lets forget this case for now.

              RA (Research assistantship)- is a kind of funding that professors offer personally to any grad student. All professors look for PhD students- not MS students, as PhD students will do research with him. So, getting a RA from the first semester is not so common. Usually, based on your performance in first few semesters, professors get impressed by you and offer you RA. A good tips is to try to impress professors just after getting admission, so that they offer you RA from the first semester.

              TA (Teaching assistantship) - this is the most common form of funding opportunity for fresh grad students (both MS and PhD). Based on the courseload, the university authority fixes how many TA's they need for the current semester. Suppose, some deparment need 10 TA's this semester; then they will select 10 grad students (who are without funding, and have high communication skills- TOEFL etc) and make them TA's.

              So, schools do give full funding to grad students. But it is competative.

              Smile.

              Regards,

              S.M. Shahriar Nirjon

              http://nirjon.googlepages.com

                       I'm currently in my third year of Engineering in Bangalore with an average percentage of around 77. Does no college give scholarships to the first year students?

              This is a really wonderful group and I'm glad to be part of. I wrote my GRE some weeks back and though I'm happy for my Verbal grade, I'm cautiously optimistic over my Quantitative marks since I come from a Computer Science background where the competition in Quantitative is usually strong. I had Verbal - 530 and Quantitative - 640.

              I would like suggestions on schools to apply where it's likely I'll get full scholarship to study for MSc in Computer Science, Computer Science and Entrepreneurship or Economics. And if possible further advise on the admission process.

              Best regards,
              Kobina

              start: 0000-00-00 end: 0000-00-00
            • S.M. Shahriar Nirjon
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 27, 2009
                You will definitely get a good admission with already an MS. If your GRE is that high as your confidence, I don't see any problem in getting admission at all, as you have done whatever you could do your best. Due to the economic recession, the number of admissions is now cut into half. So, technically, you should be applying to twice the number of universities someone would have done in the past with similar qualification as yours. You asked about March; I would comment that most universities donot take students in Spring. This is because, courses offered in spring sometimes have prerequisite courses that are offered only in fall. So, you should check your taget universities, check their websites about the requirments and deadlines and apply accordingly. Meanwhile, try to get some publications in good conferences on your field. Research well to select universities where there are research related to your work. Keep the faith and best of luck.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 28, 2009
                    Respected sir,
                                           When do u think is it ideal to write your gre.Also kindly enlighten me, does writing your gre test more than once really improves your score.And sir the biggest question above all is it too late to prepare for gre.

                    am sorry sir if my questions are very abrupt. But sir unless these questions are not answered i feel i havnt started my preparations yet.

                    thankin you,

                    Anitha.k

                    See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.
                  • Anjali Sreedhar
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 29, 2009
                      Hello,
                               Thank you so much for the reply. It sure simplified things for me. I was referring to MS. Also don't I receive GRE questions with answers to my mail through this group?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
                        Hello Anitha,

                        Deadlines for application submission to US universities, although varies from school to school, starts from DEC 15 and ends as late as JAN  (or sometimes even later). Official GRE scores are available after 10-15 days of the test date. So, you can basically write GRE as late as the last week of NOV. But, it's good to write it earlier so that you can choose where to apply based on your score.

                        Taking GRE twice or more is not any crime, but the rule is you can write GRE only once in a month. Also know that, when you ask ETS to send the official score to any university, they will send all the GRE scores that you have written in last 5 years. Your score might improve, but the old score reports will also be sent with the new one.

                        If you study regularly (say, 2 hrs a day), you can finish the wordlists in a month. Then give lots of tests both on vocabulary and math for one month. If you start today, you can finish these things smoothly before Nov. Then write it any suitable day on Nov.

                        Interesting to know is that, many people may start preparation very early, but they actually become serious from September. So, you are not late if you start seriously from today. I would also give you a good advice to register for the test first and then start preparation. Coz, once you register for it, you will automatically be serious about it. It's proven!

                        Best of luck.

                        Regards,

                        S.M. Shahriar Nirjon

                        http://nirjon.googlepages.com/profile