Crows sign Vary to new job

  • Nstig8trz
    Message 1 of 658 , Jun 1, 2000
      Crows sign Vary to new job <br><br>By ALAN ESKEW
      Hockey League All-Star defenseman, will be back with the
      Topeka ScareCrows, but with added
      responsibilities.<br><br>Vary re-signed with the ScareCrows, but was given the
      title as player-assistant coach. Vary is the first
      veteran of the four allotted by league rules to sign with
      the ScareCrows.<br><br>"I'm happy to have him aboard
      again," ScareCrows coach Paul Kelly said. "I feel like we
      have one of the best defensemen in the league, and
      it's a good start for us."<br><br>Vary, who played in
      all but one of the 70 ScareCrows games last season,
      ranked among the CHL leaders among defensemen in scoring
      with 20 goals, including 12 on power plays, and 56
      assists.<br><br>His 76 points tied winger Steve Moore for second on
      the team. Vary's plus 15 and 313 shots were team
      highs.<br><br>The ScareCrows were without an assistant coach most
      of last season after releasing Kyle Haviland, who
      was also a player-assistant, on Nov. 16.<br><br>Kelly
      said he hopes to bring back center Blair Manning, the
      ScareCrows captain last season. Manning, who tallied 59
      points, will probably go to camp with a National Hockey
      League or International Hockey League club but would
      return to Topeka if he does not make it a higher
      level.<br><br>If Manning comes back, Kelly would have only two
      more openings for veterans.<br><br>Kelly said he is
      looking for a prolific scorer to replace Brett Seguin,
      who will not return. Seguin, a two-time CHL All-Star
      selection, led the ScareCrows with 97 points and 75 assists
      last season.<br><br>Kelly is also searching for
      another goal keeper. Michal Podolka, who was 10-5-2 as a
      backup to Rod Branch last season, said he will not
      return.<br><br>Jason Lafreniere, a center with NHL experience who
      played three road games with the ScareCrows last season,
      could pick up the scoring slack in Seguin's absence.
      Kelly would like to have Lafreniere for a full CHL
      season.<br><br>"I talked to him and he is going to play next year,"
      Kelly said. "He definitely has some interest in coming
      back to Topeka." <br><br>Lafreniere is also looking
      into the possibility of playing in Europe.<br><br>"He
      can make $50,000 tax free there," Kelly said. "They
      only play 40 to 50 games in Europe, so it's less
      strenuous. He's got to make a commitment if he wants to
      comeback. He thinks he's got a couple of years
      left.<br><br>"We'll make him a pretty fair offer. It will go on for a
      little bit with Lafreniere. It won't be settled in three
      days. We'll continue to talk."<br><br>Kelly said he has
      also had conversations with Bill Monkman, the only
      rookie selected to the CHL All-Star game. Monkman, who
      scored a team high 38 goals, was offered a contract
      before returning home to Canada, but he
      declined.<br><br>"He's looking at his options," Kelly said. "He's also
      had some interest in going to Europe to play. I've
      left a message with his mother to give me a call."
      Podolka, who was 10-5-2 as a backup to Rod Branch last
      season, said he will not return.<br><br>In one rule
      change from the CHL meetings in San Antonio, all teams
      must carry at least three rookies. Kelly said that
      rule should not have much of an impact since most
      teams had three rookies last season.
      Online.<br>All rights reserved.
    • PwrCrow
      Message 658 of 658 , Feb 12, 2002
        Crows' goaltender Matt Kelly was named the USHL's
        Defensive Player of the Week. Kelly stopped all 33 shots he
        faced in regulation and overtime enroute to a shutout
        win over the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, 1-0.