Scarecrows melt Ice: CJ

  • Nstig8trz
    Message 1 of 658 , Jan 1, 1999
      ScareCrows melt Ice in 6-3 win <br><br>By LARRY
      here. The Topeka ScareCrows look primed for their run
      into the year 2000.<br><br>Clicking in all phases of
      the game, the ScareCrows closed out 1999 on a winning
      note yesterday, downing the Indianapolis Ice, 6-3, in
      the first day game ever played at Landon
      Arena.<br><br>Five different players netted goals, including two
      from Bill Monkman, as the Crows atoned for a dismal
      8-2 loss the night before in Tulsa.<br><br>"The puck
      just didn't go our way last night," said winger Trevor
      Hanas. "We came out today and just tried to wipe it out
      of our minds. This is a big weekend and we knew we
      had to have a win."<br><br>The victory lifted the
      ScareCrows to 14-0-0 when leading after two periods and put
      them back into a first place tie in the CHL's Western
      Division, pending the outcome of last night's games
      involving Tulsa and Oklahoma City.<br><br>A four-goal
      second period, including a pair of power play goals,
      broke open a tight 2-1 game. Joe Coombs started the
      second period scoring parade at 4:05 on a power play. He
      got the rebound of John Vary's shot from the blue
      line and tucked it under Indianapolis goalie Jamie
      Morris' pads.<br><br>Oleg Tsirkounov cashed in his 12th
      of the year when he took a Blair Manning wraparound
      try and flipped it in. Scott Bell drilled one from
      the right circle and Monkman walked in on Morris with
      a quick wrister with a man advantage to finish the
      scoring.<br><br>Crafty winger Yvan Corbin kept the Ice in the game by
      scoring his 30th and 31st goals of the year in the second
      period. His first goal from 25 feet surprised goalie Rod
      Branch and his second, with only 41 seconds left in the
      period, came on a quick shot off a face-off.<br><br>The
      game began for Topeka as if it was going to be a
      continuation of Thursday's loss. The Ice took the lead at 1:45
      of the first period on Lubos Krajcovic's 10th of the
      year. He took Mike Berger's rebound and jammed it
      home.<br><br>But the ScareCrows responded four minutes later.
      Monkman, stationed in the slot, scored his first of two
      when a took a pass from Steve Moore from behind the
      net. Moore then scored his 19th of the year when he
      pounced on the rebound of Vary's shot, and the Crows
      never looked back.<br><br>"We learned a lot from last
      night," said coach Paul Kelly. "Today we competed and
      everybody chipped in. It was a 60-minute
      sidelined with a broken finger. Kelly didn't know how long
      he would be sidelined.<br><br>New defenseman Kevin
      Fricke did not dress, leaving the Crows with five
      defensemen.
    • PwrCrow
      Message 658 of 658 , Feb 12, 2002
        Crows' goaltender Matt Kelly was named the USHL's
        Defensive Player of the Week. Kelly stopped all 33 shots he
        faced in regulation and overtime enroute to a shutout
        win over the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, 1-0.