Re: Manuals /Payuuta&Tutor mainboards

    Message 1 of 93 , Feb 17, 2002
      OK, I'll give you kind of a generic answer to
      this, as I have no clue as to why these computers
      differ so much. But in the late 1970's and early 1980's
      the USA brought into effect some stricter standards
      regarding electromagnetic interference (EMI). Computers
      meant for home use had to follow these strict
      standards. Some companies had to completely redesign their
      machines to meet the standards. One that I know of was
      Apple Computer - the Apple ][+ did not pass and was
      redesigned into the ][e, which did pass.<br><br>The other
      major reason for changing a design at that time was
      component cost. Rather than using off-the-shelf discrete
      components, many companies began using specially designed
      custom chips for logic functions. Commodore (owner of
      MOS Tech) did it, Apple did it (reducing chip count
      on the ][e to less than half what it was on the
      ][+), and TI did it on the GROM 2.2 version of the
      TI-99/4a (using a custom 40-pin chip).<br><br>Other
      reasons for redesign included lowering power consumption
      and heat production (TI did it to the power supply in
      later 99/4as) and reducing the size of the boards
      (reducing board production cost).<br><br>So any one of
      these may work into the difference in the Tutor and
      Pyuuta boards. Is the chip count less on one than the
      other? The Tutor has a large logic area in the center,
      does the Pyuuta maybe have a custom chip to perform
      that job?<br>Davey B.
      Message 93 of 93 , Mar 2 10:00 PM